+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propolis

Default Propolis

This is from a team of Japanese researchers. The article was on NY Daily News today. Only the abstract of the paper is free on The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jf503184s

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2042221

i would be surprised if we see researchers test that substance in human trials within the next 10 years. as sad as it is, such news and discoveries will not be looked further into.

especially with this natural compound made from bees where it would be relatively easy and safe to set up a short human trial, this will probably never happen. it will get discarded like so many other ideas and findings.

Another mouse experiment... great. I'm starting to think that a lot of these mice never had any hair loss anyway seeing how EVERYTHING grows hair on them.

After reviewing this paper, this is kind of interesting and plausible at least on a certain level. One would think this would be easy enough to test out, either in a formal trial or just by some of the more adventurous sorts that do experiments on themselves and post on here. You can buy the exact same stuff they used in this experiment right now.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Another mouse experiment... great. I'm starting to think that a lot of these mice never had any hair loss anyway seeing how EVERYTHING grows hair on them.
    This. These little pesky buggers grow hair faster by urinating on them.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    i would be surprised if we see researchers test that substance in human trials within the next 10 years. as sad as it is, such news and discoveries will not be looked further into.

especially with this natural compound made from bees where it would be relatively easy and safe to set up a short human trial, this will probably never happen. it will get discarded like so many other ideas and findings.
    Propolis has been widely studied with varying results, and the thing is very popular in "alternative medicine". Behind plausibility, there is nothing stopping people from trying

These are the kind of things everyone can make a homemade topical, take some pics and make an honest assessment

But really, we've had so many rat studies that have failed after being reproduced in the forums, I don't see this being the one

It was tested on mice... AND NOT EVEN BALDING MICE. Shit will not do anything beneficial to any relevant degree...

This is what they said they used and how the product was further refined for treatment:

"Brazilian propolis ethanol extract was obtained from
    Yamada Bee Company, Inc. (catalog #110711, Okayama, Japan). The
    analysis of the ethanol extract of Brazilian green propolis was conducted using high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC),
    carried out with a Sunniest-C18 column (150 × 4.6 mm, 5 μm;
    ChromaNik, Osaka, Japan). Analytes were dissolved in a methanol
    (CH3OH) gradient solvent system (5 min hold at 15%, 5−50 min,
    linear gradient of 15−40%, and 50−160 min, linear gradient of 40−
    80%) in 0.1% trifluoroacetic acid in water. The flow rate was 1.0 mL/
    min, and analytes were detected at 275 nm. All analyses by HPLC
    were carried out at the Institute for Bee Products & Health Science,
    Yamada Bee Company, Inc."

This seems somewhat plausible and interesting but at the same time people have been trying to cure baldness for thousands of years so given that this is a known product I would think that someone must have tried rubbing this on their head at some point and that if it worked news would have spread like wildfire. But what the hell, maybe it works.

Tired of putting random crap on my head. And it's always "No! you have to put it on for 3 months twice a day to judge results!"

Quote Originally Posted by inbrugge View Post
    Tired of putting random crap on my head. And it's always "No! you have to put it on for 3 months twice a day to judge results!"
    You make a good point. I think it's better to wait and see on this one. If there is any validity there will be more follow up on it in the future.