+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why do we worry? Get over it! - What are your concerns

I have been fully shaven for 4/5 years, now being 27. I worried about hair loss like many other men. One day however i woke up and realised i just don't care, i have more important things to worry about than my vanity or the opinions of others. Not a day goes by that i don't thank myself for getting over it and accepting it.

I watch as i see men undergoing treatments and taking all sorts of medication to "solve" their "problem".Whats wrong with taking a razor to it and getting over it?!

Really i want to know what makes the men of this forum care so much about going bald how would it affect you, how would it change your life? please answer truthfully.
    thanks
    Jack
    Last edited by Winston; 12-10-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies.

If I could just get over it and shave my head believe me I would in a minute. There are many different reasons why men decide not to do that. My biggest reason is that I just don't like the look for myself. I don't think I would look hideous or anything like that, although I know shaving would make quite a big impact on my looks. For me it just comes down to looking in the mirror and liking what I see. I don't even like the way I look with a buzzed head. I wouldn't be able to handle going slick with a razor.

Default Thanks

Thanks that answer is why i started this thread. I fully understand your point of view it's just a perspective i never had. If i'm not asking too much can i ask what it is about your head that you don't like i.e. my friend thought he had a weird shaped head until he finally took the plunge and now he's content. Whats your opinion?
    Also do you think it is something you will eventually come to terms with or is it perhaps something that you would pursue to cure throughout your life
    thanks

I really don't have any huge problems with my head shape. It's just a matter of seeing myself with and without hair and liking the reflection with hair much better. I haven't taken a razor to my head, but I have been buzzing it with #2 clipper and have no problems walking around like that.

For now it isn't a big deal for me to take finasteride and use minox 2x/day. So as long as they continue to be effective, I have no problems using treatments. My hope is that we will have a more effective treatment available in the next 5 years or so and I could dump fin and minox and finally get this thing cured. I could come to terms with it if I had to, I just don't want to at this point.

Anecdotal examples do not make rules; they work for the specific person and at best function as an encouragement for others to try the same. I'm glad that it has worked for you and I really wish that it would be just as simple for the rest of us as soon as we realize we're losing it. Alas, it is not so. For many people like myself, our head shapes are just not conducive to a good shaved look and sometimes the shaved look would be an extremely harsh change in identity and such changes are rather difficult to accept.

I shaved my head completely when I first realize I was losing it just to see how I would look if I ever had to deal with the bald look. To my dismay, not only was my head shape bad, but also the visible thinning horseshoe shape looked atrocious. A girl that I used to mess with saw me in this state and after a few hours of random, dodging glances of my head, she finally blurted out "I don't like you like this. It makes you look older." Now you can interpret that literally that I did look older as well as women talk for "you look uglier". I kept cool and just made a joke but I knew it myself when I looked in the mirror as well as from the reaction of those people who saw me when I shaved that this was different. I normally keep my hair short anyways, but you would be surprised what that difference 2-3 inches on top of your head can be. To me, this means that hair not only has an effect on how how feel about yourself but also how other people perceive you and more positive views from others could be correlated to more opportunities in life. I have great hair now after half a year on the big 3 and I think popping a pill before bed and application of minoxidil out of the shower daily is a small price to pay for hair and all of its positivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    Anecdotal examples do not make rules; they work for the specific person and at best function as an encouragement for others to try the same. I'm glad that it has worked for you and I really wish that it would be just as simple for the rest of us as soon as we realize we're losing it. Alas, it is not so. For many people like myself, our head shapes are just not conducive to a good shaved look and sometimes the shaved look would be an extremely harsh change in identity and such changes are rather difficult to accept.

I shaved my head completely when I first realize I was losing it just to see how I would look if I ever had to deal with the bald look. To my dismay, not only was my head shape bad, but also the visible thinning horseshoe shape looked atrocious. A girl that I used to mess with saw me in this state and after a few hours of random, dodging glances of my head, she finally blurted out "I don't like you like this. It makes you look older." Now you can interpret that literally that I did look older as well as women talk for "you look uglier". I kept cool and just made a joke but I knew it myself when I looked in the mirror as well as from the reaction of those people who saw me when I shaved that this was different. I normally keep my hair short anyways, but you would be surprised what that difference 2-3 inches on top of your head can be. To me, this means that hair not only has an effect on how how feel about yourself but also how other people perceive you and more positive views from others could be correlated to more opportunities in life. I have great hair now after half a year on the big 3 and I think popping a pill before bed and application of minoxidil out of the shower daily is a small price to pay for hair and all of its positivity.
    I'm glad your regime has helped you get back on track to a good extent. I'm very much in the middle of the acceptance spectrum. I've shaved my head but keeping up the regime. I'm easily confident enough to talk to women but at the same I recognise that some women won't like a bald/balding man over a NW1.
    My general happieness is very good though. I have a good job and a nice girlfriend. She doesn't even look at my hair.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

First of all, Notcoolanymore,,HI!!
    Its been awhile, I have been so very busy with my life,work, family health issues etc.
    Now all is well, of course Im still way too busy but, I certainly miss trying to help others here.

To Oibaldy
    I am SO GLAD that you created this thread!!
    You are spot-on when it comes to being FAIR-MINDED to YOURSELF!

You know of course there WILL be some new form of hairloss treatments in the future ESPECIALLY for the youth!!"

We all must LIVE OUR LIVES to our fullest.
    You did the right thing for yourself!!
    I almost shaved my head back in the early part of 2012 but two factors made me hesitate.
    One was my connection with Dr Wesley and the second was when I began using Finasteride (under the advisement of Dr Wesley, Spencer Kobren, my own doctor too) !!
    Stay very busy here Oibaldy, your doing a good thing...
    CHEERS.

Hey what's up Artista? Was wondering how you were doing, haven't heard from you in a while. Good to hear everything is going good for you and your family. Hopefully you get more free time to post a bit more often. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Notcoolanymore (you ARE cool my friend) GREAT to hear from you my friend!!
    Thank you so much for your concerns..all is well thx!
    I always enjoy reading your posts too.
    You Kudu and I are within the same league !! I feel that we have been offering good advice to especially the very young here.!
    Its called 'Community Spirit!' None of us would B.S. anyone here. None of us are here to try and sell anything either.
    You young guys,,HANG IN THERE my friends!
    As I have said before,,the youth of today (maybe older guys like me)
    WILL experience a much better hair TREATMENT in the future..but kids, you cannot WAIT to live your lives..
    If someone doesn't accept 'you' or criticizes 'you' ONLY because of your hairline then those people
    are NO WORTH your time! Not just saying that ...
    Thats the truth.(the Bald Truth-lol)
    Cant wait to hear back from you Notcool'

Or any of you guys reading this,,speak your mind. Be positive,,stay STRONG!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oibaldy View Post
    I have been fully shaven for 4/5 years, now being 27. I worried about hair loss like many other men. One day however i woke up and realised i just don't care, i have more important things to worry about than my vanity or the opinions of others. Not a day goes by that i don't thank myself for getting over it and accepting it.
    I don't see how being delusional can be considered winning the battle. The only way that I could ever let myself go bald while being happy is to simply stop giving a shit about my appearance, which would be like giving up on life considering the fact that looks are everything in this day and age. Maybe in the 80s, women might not have cared so much, but going bald now is losing at life, nothing can ever make up for a full head of hair. A lot of women won't even consider dating a bald man because they're scared of what their friends and family members would say. Even if you're nice, well educated and talented, if you don't have hair, you're an invisible ghost in today's society. Don't let anyone else tell you different.