+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    I think propecia is the biggest piece of evidence there is for how important androgens actually are in MPB. I mean the only reason MPB probably progresses is the fact that propecia only removes about 75 percent of the DHT levels but the fact it actually works in such a large percent of men its hard to doubt the critical importance of androgens. Women even lose hair if given large amounts of androgens. It all adds up.
    If you want to stop or slow MPB as much as you can I dont see the alternative to propecia. Its use that or accept baldness at this point
    Suppressing circulating androgens is not a requirement to stop hair loss. Pattern baldness is not a consequence of androgens. Its an abnormal cell response to androgens. There are many mediators between androgens and androgen transcription of hair loss factors (e.g., IL-6, TNF, TGF). The abnormal cell response to androgens can be corrected; most notably by normalizing 5a-reductase, AR concentration, increasing SHBG, and reducing androgen mimicking cytokines such as IL-6. All these things can be accomplished by lowering circulating leptin, insulin, and IGF-1 -- through dietary intervention. Lowering oxidative stress can also control the hair loss factors stimulated by androgens. In general, I consider 5a-reductase inhibition something that should be considered in conjunction with several other interventions, if at all. And I never consider androgen suppression appropriate unless someone just needs to tone down an exorbitant dose of testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by EricPotratz View Post
    ...AR concentration, increasing SHBG, and reducing androgen mimicking cytokines such as IL-6. All these things can be accomplished by lowering circulating leptin, insulin, and IGF-1 -- through dietary intervention. Lowering oxidative stress can also control the hair loss factors stimulated by androgens...
    Care to elaborate on how to accomplish these through natural or medicative methods?

Quote Originally Posted by inbrugge View Post
    Care to elaborate on how to accomplish these through natural or medicative methods?
    Yes, but I'm not sure its something I can easily summarize in a few sentences. I'm publishing a book in early 2015 on this very topic, including about 1200 peer reviewed references to back up the protocol, but here is a bit of info...

In brief, hair loss can be prevented by lowering intake of oxidized fats/oils, proteins, and glycated carbohydrates; lower intake of insulinemic foods; lower intake of glycemic carbohydrates; increase intake of fermentable carbohydrates; increase intake of particular phytonutrients and antioxidants; etc., The "why" and the "how" are the parts that require a bit of explaining, but the important message is that androgen hypersensitivity (main issue with pattern baldness) comes way after nutrient deficiencies (i.e., imbalances), oxidative stress, intestinal dysbiosis, low-grade inflammation, etc. If these issues are corrected, the dysfunctional response to androgens will correct itself, and healthy hair can be grown without sacrificing androgens.

Hi,
    First of all would like to mention that Finasteride works. I take it for a short period of time and have already started noticing some results. As about the side effects, so it is all individual and some people may experience minor side effects, others do not. I think that many depends on our thoughts.
    As about the price, so yes brand version of Finasteride is really expensive. I order its generic version (1 mg) from an online pharmacy and I’m happy with its quality and price.