X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billena
    Doctor Representative
    • Dec 2012

Success with PRP and ACell Mesotherapy

This 28-year-old female came to our office fed up with her progressive and distressing hair loss. She was referred to our office by an endocrinologist. After examination with a magnified folliscope, Dr. Wesley determined that she may be a good candidate for treatment with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and ACell. She returned just over five (5) months after her treatment for follow-up evaluation. Her results can be viewed below:

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    (844) 745-6362
    www.drcarloswesley.com
  • lifelonglearning
    • Jun 2014

Any male results?

Comment

• FearTheLoss
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by lifelonglearning
      Any male results?
      Second this.

Comment

• Thinning@30
        • Mar 2010

Did this patient have AGA or alopecia areata?

Comment

• Billena
          Doctor Representative
          • Dec 2012

Thank you for your comments. Regarding the specific medical questions, I will let Dr. Wesley respond to those this week. In response to requests for examples of male patients treated with scalp injections of platelet rich plasma (PRP), we are posting results from a previous male patient in his 30s. Bothered by the thinning in his crown, his response to PRP treatment can be seen at various stages throughout his recovery. Please note that not all patients can anticipate such benefit. Just as with surgical hair restoration, proper patient selection for PRP treatment is very important.

1050 Fifth Avenue
          New York, NY 10028
          (844) 745-6362
          www.drcarloswesley.com

Comment

• Hicks
            • Apr 2013

How often do you need injections (months)?
            Have you seen a difference from PRP and PRP with Acell?
            How many patients do you see a month for these treatments?
            Why do treatments vary from Doctors? How can we screen for a Doctor that knows what he is doing?

Comment

• FearTheLoss
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Billena
              Thank you for your comments. Regarding the specific medical questions, I will let Dr. Wesley respond to those this week. In response to requests for examples of male patients treated with scalp injections of platelet rich plasma (PRP), we are posting results from a previous male patient in his 30s. Bothered by the thinning in his crown, his response to PRP treatment can be seen at various stages throughout his recovery. Please note that not all patients can anticipate such benefit. Just as with surgical hair restoration, proper patient selection for PRP treatment is very important.

Very impressive results! WOW

Comment

• lifelonglearning
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Billena

What are some qualities that a good candidate for prp would have?

Comment

• Artista
                  • Apr 2010

Hello Billena, I haven't been on the forum for quite a while. (for me, life gets in the way)
                  This thread is very interesting. I had no idea that Dr Wesley was also involved with this type of hair-therapy i.e. PRP/Acell.
                  I have a friend (hairloss sufferer) who has been been involved with PRP treatments via a known hairloss treatment doctor, for 2+years .
                  I will have to reach out to him by email today to see how it has been going for him.
                  Billena, could you please let Dr Wesley know that I would like to speak with him soon? Thank you.

Comment

• lifelonglearning
                    • Jun 2014

How can I contact your office for this treatment, is it currently being offered? I do not see it listed on the website

Comment

• FearTheLoss
                      • Dec 2012

What does Dr. Wesley charge for PRP/ ACell mesotherapy?

Comment

• Carlos Wesley, MD
                        IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                        • Nov 2012

Hi, all.

Thanks for your comments. This patient had AGA. This was confirmed by biopsy of the scalp. Interestingly, FPHL that reads AGA on the pathology report is unique in that there is often a presence of inflammatory infiltrates (inflammatory cells) around the base of the follicles. So, although AGA in men in women has the same diagnosis, there is likely a slightly different mechanism (a pathway many physicians are still trying to work out in detail).

Regarding the number of injections: studies have demonstrated that PRP results tend to peak around the 7th month after treatment. With that said, a panel of 5 hair restoration physicians at the 2013 ISHRS conference all stated that they use a different type of PRP isolating unit, they use different intervals between injection, and they have different results. As a field, we are still trying to optimize the platelet concentration (with a biphasic dose response, it's not always the case that "more is better") as well as the frequency of treatments.

I have observed that the combination of PRP and ACell tends to yield better results than PRP alone.

Regarding physician selection and screening: I can say this with confidence - don't select a doctor that tells you "it always works". Patient selection is important because there should be physical evidence on the patients' scalp. I have found that patients (both men and women) with miniaturized hairs and/or hairs with evidence of activity surrounding the follicles (dried keratinocytes) are better candidates for PRP/ACell injections.

Although our office specializes in surgical hair restoration (FUT and FUE), we certainly perform these treatments when indicated. The best way to reach out to our office is to call 844-745-6362 (844-PILOFOCUS) or send an email inquiry to info@drcarloswesley.com. Both should be listed on our website http://www.drcarloswesley.com
                        Carlos Wesley, MD
                        Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
                        View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
                        New York, NY 10028
                        844-745-6362
                        http://www.drcarloswesley.com
                        info@drcarloswesley.com

Comment

• Artista
                          • Apr 2010

Glad to see your post Dr Wesley!
                          Lets talk on the phone when you have the time...Thanks.

Comment

• inbrugge
                            • Oct 2013

So what is the pricing for this? How often do I need to get it? How long does the treatment last?

Comment

• flappytom
                              • Dec 2014

Is this suposed to halt hairloss? I have not seen major improvement on the net.

Comment

Working...