+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What does Dr. Wesley charge for PRP/ ACell mesotherapy?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Carlos Wesley, MD's Avatar

Lightbulb

Hi, all.

Thanks for your comments. This patient had AGA. This was confirmed by biopsy of the scalp. Interestingly, FPHL that reads AGA on the pathology report is unique in that there is often a presence of inflammatory infiltrates (inflammatory cells) around the base of the follicles. So, although AGA in men in women has the same diagnosis, there is likely a slightly different mechanism (a pathway many physicians are still trying to work out in detail).

Regarding the number of injections: studies have demonstrated that PRP results tend to peak around the 7th month after treatment. With that said, a panel of 5 hair restoration physicians at the 2013 ISHRS conference all stated that they use a different type of PRP isolating unit, they use different intervals between injection, and they have different results. As a field, we are still trying to optimize the platelet concentration (with a biphasic dose response, it's not always the case that "more is better") as well as the frequency of treatments.

I have observed that the combination of PRP and ACell tends to yield better results than PRP alone.

Regarding physician selection and screening: I can say this with confidence - don't select a doctor that tells you "it always works". Patient selection is important because there should be physical evidence on the patients' scalp. I have found that patients (both men and women) with miniaturized hairs and/or hairs with evidence of activity surrounding the follicles (dried keratinocytes) are better candidates for PRP/ACell injections.

Although our office specializes in surgical hair restoration (FUT and FUE), we certainly perform these treatments when indicated. The best way to reach out to our office is to call 844-745-6362 (844-PILOFOCUS) or send an email inquiry to info@drcarloswesley.com. Both should be listed on our website http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    Carlos Wesley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    info@drcarloswesley.com

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Glad to see your post Dr Wesley!
    Lets talk on the phone when you have the time...Thanks.

So what is the pricing for this? How often do I need to get it? How long does the treatment last?

Is this suposed to halt hairloss? I have not seen major improvement on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Wesley, MD View Post
    Hi, all.

Thanks for your comments. This patient had AGA. This was confirmed by biopsy of the scalp. Interestingly, FPHL that reads AGA on the pathology report is unique in that there is often a presence of inflammatory infiltrates (inflammatory cells) around the base of the follicles. So, although AGA in men in women has the same diagnosis, there is likely a slightly different mechanism (a pathway many physicians are still trying to work out in detail).

Regarding the number of injections: studies have demonstrated that PRP results tend to peak around the 7th month after treatment. With that said, a panel of 5 hair restoration physicians at the 2013 ISHRS conference all stated that they use a different type of PRP isolating unit, they use different intervals between injection, and they have different results. As a field, we are still trying to optimize the platelet concentration (with a biphasic dose response, it's not always the case that "more is better") as well as the frequency of treatments.

I have observed that the combination of PRP and ACell tends to yield better results than PRP alone.

Regarding physician selection and screening: I can say this with confidence - don't select a doctor that tells you "it always works". Patient selection is important because there should be physical evidence on the patients' scalp. I have found that patients (both men and women) with miniaturized hairs and/or hairs with evidence of activity surrounding the follicles (dried keratinocytes) are better candidates for PRP/ACell injections.

Although our office specializes in surgical hair restoration (FUT and FUE), we certainly perform these treatments when indicated. The best way to reach out to our office is to call 844-745-6362 (844-PILOFOCUS) or send an email inquiry to info@drcarloswesley.com. Both should be listed on our website http://www.drcarloswesley.com

What percentage of men typically are seeing results (growth or maintenance) after getting PRP in your office? This result is very impressive.

Is there a "Kosher" or Vegan alternative to ACell? As far as I'm aware it comes from pig bladder, but there may be people like myself who cannot use pig byproducts.

Does PRP cause an initial shed, would it make sense if it did?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Carlos Wesley, MD's Avatar

Lightbulb

Great questions! There was a pretty comprehensive article in a recent NYTimes in which our office was highlighted. Feel free to view it here.

Many of the questions are addressed within this article. I will say that there may be some initial shedding (just as with a hair transplant) before the hair volume increases. Regarding patient candidacy, it's very important that the physician perform an in-depth analysis of the extent of hair miniaturization in the area to be treated as these hairs are most likely to benefit from PRP therapy. I don't know of an alternative to ACell at this point in time (as some patients are averse to the porcine bladder for religious reasons).

I've included a slide from a recent lecture I gave on PRP and how it works below. I hope this is helpful!

Carlos Wesley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    info@drcarloswesley.com