Threaded View

Default Premature Grey Hair: Psychological similarities to balding and future treatments

Hi all, I've read a lot of topics on this forum and enjoy it very much.

Throwing this out there before anything else: I am not balding and will certainly understand people's displeasure with me posting about a topic that many of you will feel like is a nothing-problem compared to baldness. Obviously, I'm going to disagree.

I'm 28 years old and have been getting grey hairs for about a year. It started shortly after my 27th birthday after a prolonged period of stress. It is not very bad, YET, but still worrisome. This has gotten me extremely depressed, has negatively effected my dating life, and has produced some of the same psychological issues that balding would. It makes me feel robbed of my youth, cheated, and that I've just been dealt a shitty hand in life. Going grey this early in life just makes no sense to me. Going through this experience makes me sympathize with a lot of what you guys are going through.

My question is does anyone think a grey hair treatment might be developed in the near future, what it might look like, and if it would go hand in hand with a treatment for baldness. A lot of the treatments like Histogen and Replicel have me optimistic. They aim to treat baldness on a molecular level, basically replacing cells, and if they are successful I see no reason why the cells responsible for producing hair pigment (melanocyte stem cells) can't be replaced either. The financial incentive for such a treatment is obvious astronomical.

Anyway, would love to hear some of your thoughts. And please, save the "just get some hair dye" comments. My response to anyone that says that is that hair dye on a man looks ridiculous, is completely obvious, and is the equivalent of wearing a wig or getting a really bad hair transplant.