+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Premature Grey Hair: Psychological similarities to balding and future treatments

Hi all, I've read a lot of topics on this forum and enjoy it very much.

Throwing this out there before anything else: I am not balding and will certainly understand people's displeasure with me posting about a topic that many of you will feel like is a nothing-problem compared to baldness. Obviously, I'm going to disagree.

I'm 28 years old and have been getting grey hairs for about a year. It started shortly after my 27th birthday after a prolonged period of stress. It is not very bad, YET, but still worrisome. This has gotten me extremely depressed, has negatively effected my dating life, and has produced some of the same psychological issues that balding would. It makes me feel robbed of my youth, cheated, and that I've just been dealt a shitty hand in life. Going grey this early in life just makes no sense to me. Going through this experience makes me sympathize with a lot of what you guys are going through.

My question is does anyone think a grey hair treatment might be developed in the near future, what it might look like, and if it would go hand in hand with a treatment for baldness. A lot of the treatments like Histogen and Replicel have me optimistic. They aim to treat baldness on a molecular level, basically replacing cells, and if they are successful I see no reason why the cells responsible for producing hair pigment (melanocyte stem cells) can't be replaced either. The financial incentive for such a treatment is obvious astronomical.

Anyway, would love to hear some of your thoughts. And please, save the "just get some hair dye" comments. My response to anyone that says that is that hair dye on a man looks ridiculous, is completely obvious, and is the equivalent of wearing a wig or getting a really bad hair transplant.

Actually if you don't mind dropping a lot of money on hair dye and doing it every month or more regularly you can have very convincing work done. But I understand what you're saying.

I have heard viviscal has had some degree of success with reversing grey hair in individuals and have read reports of changes in diet impacting it in a positive way.

Follow the following link budy.....
    http://xenicalwtloss.hypermart.net/pseudocatalase.html

The above link is for prescription & below link is to order the medication once u have ur prescription
    http://www.medicalwellnesscenter.com,

Inactive

Hey man. I've got quite a few of those gray hairs myself at age 30. I started getting them in my early 20s. And when I say "quite a few", I guess I mean maybe 30-40 or so - which really isn't a lot, I guess - but I notice them and it seems like a lot when they're on your own head. However, I was dealing with a receding hairline for the past several years, so that trumped any stress I could've possibly had about the gray hairs.

There are definitely similarities between the two, however, and the one that's worse is probably the one that most negatively affects you as an individual. And it if bothers you, then it's a legitimate concern. But just like with balding, when you start going gray, the best thing to do is to eventually accept it and get a plan of attack. Stressing about it and obsessing about it only makes them both worse (the balding and the graying) and definitely doesn't make the situations improve. I learned this the hard way, and believe my constant stressing about my hair loss didn't do me any favors at all (with the balding or the graying). However, when you come to terms with it and say "Okay. This is what's happening. Now what are my options?", then you're back in the driver's seat and feeling less like life has you by the balls and running in circles.

It's good you're looking into a potential treatment for this to be developed. In the meantime, however, look at what options you have now and take control of the situation. And at the risk of seeming completely defiant in the face of your request to "save the hair dye comments", I will just say this: My current roommate (whom I've known for 5 years) dyes his hair. I had absolutely no idea that he had been dying his wavy, brown locks for years to cover up the gray until I had to empty out his bathroom sink when the exterminators came over. Haha. So a good dye job is possible!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Just dye it. Problem solved. See? We don't have that 10 minutes fix with baldness.

Thank you for the responses!

@cure786: I was excited about the potential for pseudocatalase when first reading about it and I already tried it-- did not help. It seems that it is only effective in those that suffer grey hair from vitiligo. It doesn't do much for natural grey hair and there are no studies between the two. I've been in touch with people at the LEF forum, which has a long-running forum devoted to the topic, and they also have had no success with pseudocatalase.

@pkipling: Thanks for the kind words. Yet, just like anything else, I'll have to accept it for the time being. Honestly, in certain cases it can look kind of cool and my hair is short enough to not really notice. But it still really does suck and has done a number on my confidence, specifically in the realm of dating. I just can't approach women like I used to and it has gotten to be psychological.

I just really wish this was given some attention. At least with baldness, its a lot more common-- walk into any bar and you're bound to see way more people with receding hairlines than those going grey at a young age. And with baldness, there are several treatments that at least have the chance of working.

Regarding dying, yes, it may look okay with those with longer hair. Not someone with a crewcut though, where the dye will stain your scalp and roots would show right away.

I really hope that with regenerative medicine and stem cell research growing at a rapid pace, someone looks into this real problem. No one should go grey at a young age just as someone should not lose their hair.

Quote Originally Posted by YAN1986 View Post
    Thank you for the responses!

I just really wish this was given some attention. At least with baldness, its a lot more common-- walk into any bar and you're bound to see way more people with receding hairlines than those going grey at a young age. And with baldness, there are several treatments that at least have the chance of working.
    So if grey hair is worse than baldness, what are you waiting for? Get the razorblade or trimmer and shave it off. Seriously don't kid yourself.
    if you actually think there are more effective treatments out there to treat hairloss than there are to treat greying hairloss, you are very sorely mistaken.
    I'm speaking out of experience btw. I used to get grey hair comments when I was 19. Never bothered me. Now I don't even have black nor grey hairs left.

Grey hair isnt a big deal. Be thankful you have the hair. Its always funny those hair dyes for guys with grey hair that are like NW 1 at 50 because you just laugh that most men at that age dont have hair left to dye

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    So if grey hair is worse than baldness, what are you waiting for? Get the razorblade or trimmer and shave it off. Seriously don't kid yourself.
    if you actually think there are more effective treatments out there to treat hairloss than there are to treat greying hairloss, you are very sorely mistaken.
    I'm speaking out of experience btw. I used to get grey hair comments when I was 19. Never bothered me. Now I don't even have black nor grey hairs left.
    Its not what I think-- its a fact that there are infinitely more treatments for baldness than there are for grey hair. Its not even close. There is a total of one option for grey hair and its not even a treatment-- its a camouflage method called hair dye and it hasn't evolved in 100 years.

I'm not saying that baldness has one sure-fire option that will work, but there are a bunch of different options that may work for different people. Fin, Minox, Nizoral, hair transplants, wigs, etc. There are also a variety of different treatments in the pipeline that have been research and have a good chance of working (Replicel, Histogen, etc). Grey hair? Oh yeah, hair dye. Grey hair is a legitimate cosmetic issue (particularly the premature kind) which should be studied and not just ignored. Hell, I'd settle for something that could at least slow it down.

Regarding hair dye, yes it may look okay with certain hair styles but not with someone that has a very short hairstyle, like me. The roots show almost immediately and it stains your scalp.

@MunkeyNutz - what is viviscal and how does it work? Never heard of it as an option for grey hair.

Its not what I think-- its a fact that there are infinitely more treatments for baldness than there are for grey hair. Its not even close. There is a total of one option for grey hair and its not even a treatment-- its a camouflage method called hair dye and it hasn't evolved in 100 years.

I'm not saying that baldness has one sure-fire option that will work, but there are a bunch of different options that may work for different people. Fin, Minox, Nizoral, hair transplants, wigs, etc. There are also a variety of different treatments in the pipeline that have been research and have a good chance of working (Replicel, Histogen, etc). Grey hair? Oh yeah, hair dye. Grey hair is a legitimate cosmetic issue (particularly the premature kind) which should be studied and not just ignored. Hell, I'd settle for something that could at least slow it down.
    I'm sorry, but making a word like fact bold doesn't make it more true. It's still bs. You're absolutely dead wrong, it's not even funny.
    There are not infinite more - let alone more effective - options for baldness than there are for grey hair. There are an infinite amount of hairloss treatment snake-oils on the market promising to regrow hair. But there are exactly 3 or 4 who scientifically have a chance of working. And with working I don't mean regrowing most hair - no no wouldn't that be great - but maintaining the little hair you have left (for a short period of time). Those treatments not only have a small chance of effectiveness, they also require daily maintenance/intake, are very pricey, and come with a high chance of side-effects.

Hair dye just does what it promises, there is no maybe, there are no side-effects and can be done on a weekly basis. Period.

hair transplants
    Please read up before you write such things. They're not only very pricey they're not a cure or a real treatment for the average Joe.

wigs, etc
    You know as well as I do that a wig is not an option. Otherwise you would've just shaved off your grey hairs and walked through life without a worry with a dark wig on your head.

There is a total of one option for grey hair and its not even a treatment-- its a camouflage method called hair dye and it hasn't evolved in 100 years.
    Hair dyeing is a socially accepted technique which changes the color of your hair. A wig... is camouflage. You whine about 'camouflage' yet you mention a wig as a real option. Very strange indeed.

There are also a variety of different treatments in the pipeline that have been research and have a good chance of working (Replicel, Histogen, etc)
    Here's the thing... they're not treatments because they're not here and they are not guaranteed to be here in a few years or ever. They're projects which have been in development for the past 5 years or more and have a chance (or not) to offer an alternative treatment. These potential treatments do not offer a a full blown cure. They're not for everyone. they offer the possibility of regrowing some hair for people in their early stages.

Grey hair is a legitimate cosmetic issue (particularly the premature kind) which should be studied and not just ignored.
    Again, I got comments at school and from my sisters at 19 that I was getting grey. Getting grey hairs at 27-28 is not "premature grey hair" . Maybe you should like... grow a pair?