+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Dr. Cole is currently studying the effectiveness of AmnioFix from MiMedx. We still offer and use ACell during approximately 95% of hair transplant procedures.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Great to hear. Had he seen anything yet from it? Also, is he finding ways to get more consistent regeneration with ACell?

Quote Originally Posted by drmwamba View Post
    Thank you for your concerns in cutting edge technique in order to improve and extend the possibility of treatment and hair loss cure .

I travelled to India in order to witness Nigam's work so we can repeat his protocole in our clinic .
    Unfortunately , they didn't give us a clear protocol and Nigam was involved in many issues in India .So we couldn't progress .
    from my own observation , discussion with Nigam and others , and from my own research , I decided to conduct some tests on my own .I would like to develop my own protocol and see where it can lead us .
    It is too early to jump to statistics .
    I am not offering it ;I am developing a protocol ( and I am selecting patients after deep discussion with them about my thoughts ).
    My trip in India just convinced me there is something we can dig ;and if we put seriousness , maybe we will end up with something positif .
    As everybody , I am keep looking for what could resolve our problems .

Thank you .
    Dr Patrick Mwamba
    www.mywhtc.net

I don't really understand why anyone has derived any optimism from this.

It basically states that Dr Nigam's method didn't work for whatever reason. It gives no assurances about any possible method working in the future.

All it really says is that Dr Mwamba will keep abreast of any information that's out there. We're literally no further forward than we were when this news first appeared in September 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by garethbale View Post
    I don't really understand why anyone has derived any optimism from this.

It basically states that Dr Nigam's method didn't work for whatever reason. It gives no assurances about any possible method working in the future.

All it really says is that Dr Mwamba will keep abreast of any information that's out there. We're literally no further forward than we were when this news first appeared in September 2013.

sounds like the nigam approach failed, I did not expect anything else after my own experience there.

props for DR. mwamba that he went up there to explore it at-least.

One of the best surgeons ! I hope dr m is on to something

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garethbale View Post
    It basically states that Dr Nigam's method didn't work for whatever reason.
    Nigam spliced together existing publicly available research that suggests the probable format/conditions for successful 90% - 100% follicle regeneration. A while back he claimed he's getting 100% follicle regeneration. Evidently that's not the case and I believe Nigam was placing his bet on success after collaborating with a physician.

If anyone can actually achieve 90% - 100% follicle regeneration, they're keeping it a closely guarded secret. I believe that 80% to 90% should be possible in the next few years. Kind of reminds me of the development of a practical commercial light bulb. Inventors including Edison were on the right track for decades and all that was needed was the right balance of materials + vacuum etc. Considering the fact that technological advancement is exponential rather than linear, I don't think it will be very long before regeneration numbers greatly improve.

Of course the best approach is one of preventing male pattern baldness from developing in the first place. As I've mentioned before, I meet nearly every patient who comes to our clinic. I meet guys like our patient last week who has the appearance of a full head of hair. Surprisingly, he has a twin brother that's a Norwood 6. He has had transplants but also takes Propecia, a sliver of Avodart once every couple of days, uses Rogaine and alternates shampoos like Nizoral and Nioxin. He didn't know about derma rolling though. Derma rolling can increase the effectiveness of minoxidil. According to our patient, his Norwood 6 brother did nothing about his hair loss and shaves his head.

Short of gene therapy, currently, hair loss needs to be attacked in every known way. Safely:
    Reduce DHT, improve the adipose layer, promote progenitor cells, inhibit catagen and telogen while promoting Anagen, inhibit PGD2 and promote blood platelet growth factors.

Gene therapy may be the ticket. Successes so far:

"Gene Therapy for Genetic Disorders
    Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (ADA-SCID)
    ADA-SCID is also known as the bubble boy disease. Affected children are born without an effective immune system and will succumb to infections outside of the bubble without bone marrow transplantation from matched donors. A landmark study representing a first case of gene therapy "cure," or at least a long-term correction, for patients with deadly genetic disorder was conducted by investigators in Italy. The therapeutic gene called ADA was introduced into the bone marrow cells of such patients in the laboratory, followed by transplantation of the genetically corrected cells back to the same patients. The immune system was reconstituted in all six treated patients without noticeable side effects, who now live normal lives with their families without the need for further treatment.

Chronic Granulomatus Disorder (CGD)
    CGD is a genetic disease in the immune system that leads to the patients' inability to fight off bacterial and fungal infections that can be fatal. Using similar technologies as in the ADA-SCID trial, investigators in Germany treated two patients with this disease, whose reconstituted immune systems have since been able to provide them with full protection against microbial infections for at least two years.

Hemophilia
    Patients born with Hemophilia are not able to induce blood clots and suffer from external and internal bleeding that can be life threatening. In a clinical trial conducted in the United States , the therapeutic gene was introduced into the liver of patients, who then acquired the ability to have normal blood clotting time. The therapeutic effect however, was transient because the genetically corrected liver cells were recognized as foreign and rejected by the healthy immune system in the patients. This is the same problem faced by patients after organ transplantation, and curative outcome by gene therapy might be achievable with immune-suppression or alternative gene delivery strategies currently being tested in preclinical animal models of this disease.

Other genetic disorders
    After many years of laboratory and preclinical research in appropriate animal models of disease, a number of clinical trials will soon be launched for various genetic disorders that include congenital blindness, lysosomal storage disease and muscular dystrophy, among others."

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com

I saw somewhere that Dr. Marco Toscani was able to induce doubling with a success rate of 71%. This is by horizontally cutting the hair follicle in vitro. Not even the most optimal and efficient way theoretically of inducing "doubling". The hair shafts that grew out the HF were thinner though. Makes me wonder if Aardon Gardner is really right and doubling is already possible with a high success rate, by dissecting the DP and dermal sheath. Just not time efficient enough to be profitable...?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swooping View Post
    I saw somewhere that Dr. Marco Toscani was able to induce doubling with a success rate of 71%. This is by horizontally cutting the hair follicle in vitro. Not even the most optimal and efficient way theoretically of inducing "doubling". The hair shafts that grew out the HF were thinner though. Makes me wonder if Aardon Gardner is really right and doubling is already possible with a high success rate, by dissecting the DP and dermal sheath. Just not time efficient enough to be profitable...?
    MiMedx has a new regenerative product made from amniotic tissue that will be available shortly. Suggested study:
    Remove follicles and sliver them into several pieces. Place the slivers in a chilled blend of the new MiMedx product with PRP, HypoThermosol, and adipose-derived stem cell protein extract. Let the graft slivers soak for several minutes, than place them into recipient sites injected with the same. If that doesn't produce results then try a spherical environment for the sliver grafts. If a lot of different approaches are taken, the likelihood of success is of course increased.

hair diameter is exactly the important detail.
    follicle regeneration is useless if you can only achieve thin hairs, especially at the recipient site. hair thickness is what gives good volume and makes hair manageable.
    if you reduce the hair diameter to 50% you reduce the volume of the hair to 25%. you lose 75% volume. that's useless. recipient site should grow full thickness hairs, and the regenerated donor hairs can be a bit thinner in my opinion (but only 20 to 30%).
    then and only then we are talking about real hair doubling. any other tradeoff is not worth the efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    hair diameter is exactly the important detail.
    follicle regeneration is useless if you can only achieve thin hairs, especially at the recipient site. hair thickness is what gives good volume and makes hair manageable.
    if you reduce the hair diameter to 50% you reduce the volume of the hair to 25%. you lose 75% volume. that's useless. recipient site should grow full thickness hairs, and the regenerated donor hairs can be a bit thinner in my opinion (but only 20 to 30%).
    then and only then we are talking about real hair doubling. any other tradeoff is not worth the efforts.
    This !

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Nigam spliced together existing publicly available research that suggests the probable format/conditions for successful 90% - 100% follicle regeneration. A while back he claimed he's getting 100% follicle regeneration. Evidently that's not the case and I believe Nigam was placing his bet on success after collaborating with a physician.

If anyone can actually achieve 90% - 100% follicle regeneration, they're keeping it a closely guarded secret. I believe that 80% to 90% should be possible in the next few years. Kind of reminds me of the development of a practical commercial light bulb. Inventors including Edison were on the right track for decades and all that was needed was the right balance of materials + vacuum etc. Considering the fact that technological advancement is exponential rather than linear, I don't think it will be very long before regeneration numbers greatly improve.

Of course the best approach is one of preventing male pattern baldness from developing in the first place. As I've mentioned before, I meet nearly every patient who comes to our clinic. I meet guys like our patient last week who has the appearance of a full head of hair. Surprisingly, he has a twin brother that's a Norwood 6. He has had transplants but also takes Propecia, a sliver of Avodart once every couple of days, uses Rogaine and alternates shampoos like Nizoral and Nioxin. He didn't know about derma rolling though. Derma rolling can increase the effectiveness of minoxidil. According to our patient, his Norwood 6 brother did nothing about his hair loss and shaves his head.

Short of gene therapy, currently, hair loss needs to be attacked in every known way. Safely:
    Reduce DHT, improve the adipose layer, promote progenitor cells, inhibit catagen and telogen while promoting Anagen, inhibit PGD2 and promote blood platelet growth factors.

Gene therapy may be the ticket. Successes so far:

"Gene Therapy for Genetic Disorders
    Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (ADA-SCID)
    ADA-SCID is also known as the bubble boy disease. Affected children are born without an effective immune system and will succumb to infections outside of the bubble without bone marrow transplantation from matched donors. A landmark study representing a first case of gene therapy "cure," or at least a long-term correction, for patients with deadly genetic disorder was conducted by investigators in Italy. The therapeutic gene called ADA was introduced into the bone marrow cells of such patients in the laboratory, followed by transplantation of the genetically corrected cells back to the same patients. The immune system was reconstituted in all six treated patients without noticeable side effects, who now live normal lives with their families without the need for further treatment.

Chronic Granulomatus Disorder (CGD)
    CGD is a genetic disease in the immune system that leads to the patients' inability to fight off bacterial and fungal infections that can be fatal. Using similar technologies as in the ADA-SCID trial, investigators in Germany treated two patients with this disease, whose reconstituted immune systems have since been able to provide them with full protection against microbial infections for at least two years.

Hemophilia
    Patients born with Hemophilia are not able to induce blood clots and suffer from external and internal bleeding that can be life threatening. In a clinical trial conducted in the United States , the therapeutic gene was introduced into the liver of patients, who then acquired the ability to have normal blood clotting time. The therapeutic effect however, was transient because the genetically corrected liver cells were recognized as foreign and rejected by the healthy immune system in the patients. This is the same problem faced by patients after organ transplantation, and curative outcome by gene therapy might be achievable with immune-suppression or alternative gene delivery strategies currently being tested in preclinical animal models of this disease.

Other genetic disorders
    After many years of laboratory and preclinical research in appropriate animal models of disease, a number of clinical trials will soon be launched for various genetic disorders that include congenital blindness, lysosomal storage disease and muscular dystrophy, among others."

Are you basing the 80-90% regeneration rate in coming years on results Dr. Cole is seeing with trials or what makes you believe this?

Thanks, FTL