+ Reply to Thread

Default OBSESSING over my hair

Hello, just joined and I know people might be sick of first time posters' pictures, etc., but I have been completely obsessing over my hair and more specifically:

1) Whether it is clear upon first look that I'm receding (even when I don't pull my hair back);

2) If one side has receded more, does that mean the side with less recession will start and continue to the same degree? Can there ever be a maturation or stopping point?

3) I have a prescription for Proscar ready for pick up but am terrified of the sexual side effects (mainly the idea of permanent effects).

Thank you in advance for any/all comments on any of these. Much appreciated. It's crazy what a mind eff one's hair can be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 11-19-14 at 4.24 PM #2.jpg

Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	36132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 11-21-14 at 5.41 PM #2.jpg

Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	36133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 11-21-14 at 5.41 PM #6.jpg

Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	36136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 11-21-14 at 5.42 PM #3.jpg

Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	36134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 11-21-14 at 5.42 PM #5.jpg

Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	36135  

1) It is not clear upon first look that you are receding. Looking closely at pictures 1 & 3, I would say you are and it's still very minor.

2) It is common for one side of the head to recede quicker than the other, but if it's going, it will go. Both sides. True mature hairline is extremely rare (google Pierce Brosnan) and if it's happening at a young age, more than likely it's MPB and not mature hair line. Your dermatologist will be able to tell you for sure.

3) Do not let legends about sexual side effects (especially the ridiculous ones about permanent effects) prevent you from trying finasteride. I (and many others on this forum) have been on Finasteride 1mg daily for the past 6 months and I still hump like a champ, no drop. Sides happen in very small percentage of men and will go away after a while or if you stop the medications. Finasteride is not a virus or mutation so it cannot change or grow itself therefore it will get flushed out of your system in no time once you stop medication. The only way to maintain it in your system is if you keep taking it. There's a percentage of men out there that will have ED problems with or without Finasteride and I'm willing to bet that many of these are the same ones that report the side effects.

I would say give the meds a try. If they work out, enjoy hair and never look back.

Thanks a lot man for the thorough response.

I'm 29 and, as far as I can tell, the one side (more receding side) has held to that degree for about 3 years so that's why I was hoping maybe it has halted or maybe "matured."

Would you say that is a pretty young age for it to occur/start?

Also, has fin had any effect on your hair line (I know it mainly targets the crown but some have had hairline success).

Much appreciated.

If that is your state of hair at 29, you are in very good shape, possibly for the rest of your life. Many of us here on the forum start noticing our hair loss in our early 20's and those that do nothing about it usually have most of their hair disappear by mid 30's. I've been on the big 3 for hair loss, Fin/Minox/Nizoral, for about the past 6 months and I'm about back to NW1 pending density in 1 spot so it has definitely worked on my hair line.

Glad to hear the NW1 status for you. Good shit man, thanks again. I'm gonna pick the proscar script up tomorrow.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    If that is your state of hair at 29, you are in very good shape, possibly for the rest of your life. Many of us here on the forum start noticing our hair loss in our early 20's and those that do nothing about it usually have most of their hair disappear by mid 30's. I've been on the big 3 for hair loss, Fin/Minox/Nizoral, for about the past 6 months and I'm about back to NW1 pending density in 1 spot so it has definitely worked on my hair line.
    I second that. If your hair looks that good at 29, you may be set for life. At the most when you're in your late 40's you may want to take advantage of the future super solutions for hair loss everyone's waiting on. Surely something better than Propecia and Avodart will be available within 11-20 years.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 03:34 AM.