+ Reply to Thread

Default Introduction and questions

Good afternoon,

24 years old. Noticed pretty aggressive balding about a year ago. Currently getting a noticeable m look and just seeing little balding spots everywhere. Pretty much the worst experience of my life. After watching the show and speaking with my physician I decided to start propecia about three weeks ago. Really hoping to see some good results. No side effects as of now which I was happy about, but do feel I'm losing a little more hair than usual (shower, brushing, pillow). I read this is part of it so I'm trying to stay positive during the process. One major concern I have is that my itching has not stopped, would even say it has gotten much worse. Any reason this is happening? Some follow up questions were: should I use nizirol and how do I stop my hair from being so dry? How often do you wash your hair with normal shampoo? should I see if the propecia works by itself before adding in the rogaine? And Finally, is there just any other vitamins, shampoos etc.. I should be looking into that will aid the propecia? Thanks for any help guys.

thx for sharing!

Yes, hair falling out (shedding) is part of the process. Weak hair will fall out and grow back stronger on treatment. Yes you should use Nizoral shampoo. Although it's not FDA approved for hair loss, it has been shown to have anti-androgen properties and combats hair loss. It is generally accepted amongst the big 3 in hair loss with it being the smallest of the 3: Finasteride (Propecia), Minoxidil (Rogaine), and Ketoconazole (Nizoral shampoo). Washing your hair with other shampoo doesn't really affect hair loss because it doesn't do anything to slow down or speed up hormones that are responsible for hair loss. However, you should know that every time you push or pull on your hair (combing, shampoo, style, etc...) inevitably you will pull out some hair. But because these hairs lost are not the result of DHT hormones, they will certainly grow back so no worries. If I were you, I would not wait to use minoxidil (rogaine) because both rogaine and propecia are shown to work and together they ample the affect of combating hair loss. You can try biotin, I heard that it's good for healthier hair and nails. Good luck.

I would only use the good natural pills like Propecia, only use Rogaine if you hate your skin already and want to self mutilate.

Quote Originally Posted by blondetooth View Post
    I would only use the good natural pills like Propecia, only use Rogaine if you hate your skin already and want to self mutilate.
    I personally have used rogaine foam and currently minoxidil liquid; they've worked great with no side effects whatsoever. From what I have heard from other people at the very worse it can cause scalp itching but that's easily fixable. You seem to have a zealous hate against Minoxidil, may I ask why?

Thanks for the replies! I have read some horror stories on guys taking minoxidil. The reason it may seem I hate those products is because I have read people used it and never recovered again after the shed. Leaving them worse off then they were before. So I was hoping the propecia would work on its own combined with the Nizirol shampoo. I still have some hair now and would hate to lose it all 24 when I am sure I could at least look decent for a few more years. We're these extreme cases and do not happen very often?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball121212 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I have read some horror stories on guys taking minoxidil. The reason it may seem I hate those products is because I have read people used it and never recovered again after the shed. Leaving them worse off then they were before. So I was hoping the propecia would work on its own combined with the Nizirol shampoo. I still have some hair now and would hate to lose it all 24 when I am sure I could at least look decent for a few more years. We're these extreme cases and do not happen very often?
    You should understand how hair growth works first instead of putting trust in wack stories. Because there is a growth and a rest phase, hair under attack by natural DHT will gradually have longer rest phases and come back weaker and thinner during the growth phase and eventually appearing to not come back at all. In order to really be worse off because of medicines, the medicines have to actually strengthen your DHT which has no scientific proof whatsoever especially when the medicines are designed to combat DHT in the first place. More than likely you will undergo shedding for both Finasteride and Minoxidil and you will look like you're losing even more at first, but this is actually what you want. It would mean that the meds are working and weak hair is falling out to be replaced by stronger, healthier hair. Anybody that tells you Finasteride or Minoxidil ruined their hair in the long run ask them for photos and documentation because there is sure as hell a lot of photos and documentations for the other side of the argument.

I've been on Finasteride/Minoxidil for about 6 months and my sheds during the first 2-3 months were pretty bad. My photos says I lost a lot of density but I also saw that I was gaining shape, getting back parts of my hairline that was not there before treatment. Now I have regained most of the density and I'm about back to NW1 status. Read up on shedding in post #5 here.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showth...?743-The-Big-3

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    Anybody that tells you Finasteride or Minoxidil ruined their hair in the long run ask them for photos and documentation because there is sure as hell a lot of photos and documentations for the other side of the argument.
    Good post

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball121212 View Post
    Good afternoon,

24 years old. Noticed pretty aggressive balding about a year ago. Currently getting a noticeable m look and just seeing little balding spots everywhere. Pretty much the worst experience of my life. After watching the show and speaking with my physician I decided to start propecia about three weeks ago. Really hoping to see some good results. No side effects as of now which I was happy about, but do feel I'm losing a little more hair than usual (shower, brushing, pillow). I read this is part of it so I'm trying to stay positive during the process. One major concern I have is that my itching has not stopped, would even say it has gotten much worse. Any reason this is happening? Some follow up questions were: should I use nizirol and how do I stop my hair from being so dry? How often do you wash your hair with normal shampoo? should I see if the propecia works by itself before adding in the rogaine? And Finally, is there just any other vitamins, shampoos etc.. I should be looking into that will aid the propecia? Thanks for any help guys.
    I would stick with Propecia brand as opposed to the generic version you can buy online without a prescription. I think Nizoral is a good idea. Hair loss caused by vitamin deficiency is rare. Just to cover that possibility, buy "Hair Skin and Nails" by Buried Treasure. Get plenty of exercise, don't smoke cigarettes, try to reduce stress, and avoid sunburn. Add Rogain, you shouldn't wait. Massage and brush your scalp. Don't baby your hair out of fear hair will come out. When there's a whitish bulb at the base of the shed hair, that means it should come out, so don't stress over these temporarily lost hairs.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 11-25-2014 at 10:16 AM.