+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    It isn't negativity. It's reality, but you guys are just too damn depressed to WANT to hear about reality. Yeah, we're closer to a cure today that we we're 5 years ago... we're also closer than we we're 10 years ago... and 20 years ago. But hey, these same things we're said back then. And tomorrow we'll be closer than we are today. So what though? It's taking decades... if you want to praise that kind of mediocre/slow progress, go ahead. 44 years ago they discovered stem cells in follicles... think about that.

Do I have hope? Yeah. Am I satisfied with the progress? Hell no. Nobody should be.
    You're exactly right on all points, hellouser. For at least 25 years, numerous companies have been holding press conferences, as well as publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals, touting potential baldness cures. In each case, without exception, the future was painted very brightly and a cure was stated to be about "2 to 5 years away." In every single case, without exception, the 2 to 5 years passed with no cure. Often, the companies that made the original claims faded into obscurity.

I was 20 when I first began following this issue very closely. I am 47 now. I decided long ago that I would not opt for half-baked treatments, treatments that sort of work sometimes, transplants, or weak solutions that came with a slew of side effects that could render a man effeminate. I'd rather be Kojak than go through any of that.

As hellouser correctly indicated, decades have passed without a cure. Like today, the outlook for a cure looked extremely promising 27 years ago, but nothing ever materialized. Today, things look even more promising, but where is cure? Until an effective cure for this malady is produced, does it really matter how promising the future looks? I truly hope you young guys don't have to wait as long as us guys in our late 40s have had to wait. It has sucked like no one who isn't bald can possibly imagine, but it is what is.

My advice to anyone who going bald, is this: If you choose to take the current "solutions" that are out there, go for it. It's your personal decision. You could get lucky and delay the progression of this disease. Otherwise, just shave your head and develop a new look and persona. At least you won't have to worry about styling your hair, etc. Be careful of transplants. I've seen more than my share of terrible transplants. They look outright silly when the balding progression continues, and you're left with one hellacious comb-back from the front. It looks far worse than being bald.

Sorry for my pessimism. I truly do hope a cure is coming someday. I'm just no longer holding my breath. Those days are long gone. When a cure is finally here, I'll believe it then.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktherock View Post
    I used to have a lot of resect for you for being so proactive but lately you've just been trolling every thread. There is a lot of money and time being thrown into a cure and we've learned that things are in fact happening without being on the front page of google. I understand being frustrated but you're just throwing tantrums.
    I appreciate your desire and need to remain positive, but the inescapable fact is that there is no cure yet. Yes, companies are still researching the problem and working towards a solution, and whomever develops one will make a lot of money, but that has been true for decades, yet there is still no cure.

I honestly believe, and I am not joking at all, that geneticists will eventually perfect the process of genetically-engineered cloning, where each of us can redesign our desired bodies for a price. Wanna be taller? Okay. How about a full head of perfect hair? No problem. IQ of 150? Sure. 22 years old indefinitely? You bet! It is only a matter of time.

Then, another branch of medicine will make it possible to transfer -- NOT just COPY -- the contents of your memories and thoughts into the brain of your newly-created clone. It's just a matter of time, and it would not surprise me if such a solution arrives BEFORE hair-loss is conquered. I'm completely serious. Male pattern baldness is truly on the back burner, as we've seen for decades. Besides, an ideal body is what everyone wants, not just a full head of hair. Even people that you and I may perceive as having near-perfect bodies already would give just about anything to improve or change certain things about themselves. It is human nature. The problem is a matter of degree, not kind.

Ok, you're going off the rails here. There may not be a full-blown cure in the next decade or so, but there will be effective treatments that will stop you from losing your hair in the next couple of years. You are dismissing a lot of recent developments. No one who holds the keys to truly effective treatments (and there are a number of them) are just sitting on their hands, not trying to make millions, if not billions.

I hope you're not disappointed in the next couple of years, my friend... or in 20 or 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready View Post
    Keep the positivity! Everyone on here understands your frustration, but the truth is that this is the best time in history in terms of hair loss research. There are many promising treatments in the pipeline, some we know about, others we don't. Check in on the forum every couple of weeks or so, and you'll see some news leak that will give you hope. In time, that hope will turn into hair.
    Every day is the "best time in history" for the problem. Every day brings us one step closer to a solution. Eventually, there will be a solution. Eventually.

I'll tell you what. Just for fun, let's circle this date: November 19, 2014. We'll come back to this thread on November 19, 2016 and reassess any viable solutions that materialize between now and then. If we're lucky, you can gloat and say, "See? I told you so!" I'll gladly reply, "Yep, you were right. Congrats!" If not, you will still be able to say what everyone has been saying for nearly 30 years (and probably longer), which is, "Well, okay. Two years have elapsed and we're closer, even though we're not quite there yet, but, we're closer! I am more confident than ever that in just 2 to 5 more years we'll definitely be there! Company ABC and Company XYZ said so and their results are simply amazing so far!"

Look, I truly hope you're right and I'm wrong. Eventually you will be right. Eventually someone will say, "Just 2 to 5 more years...," and it will finally be true, but I truly expect genetic-engineering and cloning to take hold before male pattern baldness is stopped, reversed, or outright cured to any meaningful degree. I'm completely serious.

That's excellent logic - because it happened to you, it will probably happen to me. Let's just discount all time, knowledge, money, research, and discoveries that have been made. Ok let's see, 27 years ago was 1987, and let's also disregard all the technological advancements since then. We now know what causes hair loss (PGD2) and there are FDA approved drugs that already inhibit it. Just have to do a trail in hair regeneration with a topical formulation. Look up CB-03-01 while you're at it, and tell me it's not promising.

Quote Originally Posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready View Post
    That's excellent logic - because it happened to you, it will probably happen to me. Let's just discount all time, knowledge, money, research, and discoveries that have been made. Ok let's see, 27 years ago was 1987, and let's also disregard all the technological advancements since then. We now know what causes hair loss (PGD2) and there are FDA approved drugs that already inhibit it. Just have to do a trail in hair regeneration with a topical formulation. Look up CB-03-01 while you're at it, and tell me it's not promising.
    Yes, there are a lot of promising approaches. I've read them all. Eventually one will work. I hope it is sooner rather than later. We'll see.

I just think that with all the knowledge that's been accumulated over time, there's a reason to be positive. These discoveries have encouraged many drug companies (it seems) to do trials in hair loss. Scientists and doctors have a good grasp of what avenues will work, and are developing drugs to approach the problem. The motivation is abundant and will create a massive amount of wealth. There is no way this isn't going to be cracked at some point with all that attention.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    Every day is the "best time in history" for the problem. Every day brings us one step closer to a solution. Eventually, there will be a solution. Eventually.

I'll tell you what. Just for fun, let's circle this date: November 19, 2014. We'll come back to this thread on November 19, 2016 and reassess any viable solutions that materialize between now and then. If we're lucky, you can gloat and say, "See? I told you so!" I'll gladly reply, "Yep, you were right. Congrats!" If not, you will still be able to say what everyone has been saying for nearly 30 years (and probably longer), which is, "Well, okay. Two years have elapsed and we're closer, even though we're not quite there yet, but, we're closer! I am more confident than ever that in just 2 to 5 more years we'll definitely be there! Company ABC and Company XYZ said so and their results are simply amazing so far!"

Look, I truly hope you're right and I'm wrong. Eventually you will be right. Eventually someone will say, "Just 2 to 5 more years...," and it will finally be true, but I truly expect genetic-engineering and cloning to take hold before male pattern baldness is stopped, reversed, or outright cured to any meaningful degree. I'm completely serious.
    while I have no idea whether a real cure will materialize, your last few sentences are borderline retarded. Scientists are nowhere near cloning a full healthy human being, but they are very close to being able to regenerate a hair follicle from scratch. Also, when genetic engineering of human body parts happens, baldness will be one of the first things that is dealt with. There have already been scientists that have targeted baldness as something to cure with virus-carried gene engineering. It just hasn't been followed up on.

Either way, all that is moot when you consider that we already have a treatment that basically halts baldness for most patients, and the near-surety that a similar treatment with fewer side effects will come out in the very near future. Between acting on the androgen channel, the wnt pathway, the PGD2 action, and cellular stuff like replicel, the next five years are looking pretty promising for preventative treatments. a combination of these will likely be the ticket. As far a bald men growing their hair back, we've seen much more progress on the cellular front in the past two years than there was in the 30 before that. The same has happened in all areas of regenerative medicine. they are only just getting serious and effective with it. I wouldn't count on new hair in the next five or even ten years, but it's not far away for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    I wouldn't count on new hair in the next five or even ten years, but it's not far away for sure.
    This doesn't make sense. 5-10 years is a long time and apparently we won't see a cure before then. But waiting longer than 10 years is 'not far away'??