+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 0.25mg finasteride + ru?

I know this is not really the subforum to ask for proper regimes, but I'm really curious as to what I should do and you guys know the answers to questions like these like no other people...

Due to sides I'm probably going to have to settle for 0.25mg finasteride a day instead of 1mg a day. However, I don't veel very comfortable with only taking 0.25mg propecia as it might not be enough to preserve my hair. I don't even need regrowth, Í need stabilisation of my hair loss (complete halt would obviously be best but this is unrealistic, so I'm aiming for a noticably slower rate of loss)

Should I add RU in the mix? The thing I'm affraid of is that 0.25mg fin might be enough to just maintain, but it could be not enough as well. I've just started fin treatment so I won't be able to figure this out untill 6 months - a year. If 0.25mg proves to be insufficient, I lost ground while I could have done more against it. However, if 0.25mg does prove to be sufficient, I'm wasting my money and time on RU. I'll also be using my emergency plan ("plan B") already, but this ofc is minor as it's all about keeping what I have right now. I'm not waiting for new treatments. I'm sure they'll come but by the time they are up for use, it might be too late.

Do you guys see where I'm coming from? What would you guys do? Or do you guys think it's better to take the 0.25mg fin with something else then RU? And if you do think I should start using RU aside, should my dosage be lower because I also use fin?

Thanks in advance!

U need growth Stims in your regimen . Fin and RU stop the balding process but Minox grows the hair the most

I know I don't have growth stimulators in my regimen but i don't need them. I just need to maintain what I have now. Do you think it would be necessary to add RU to my 0.25mg fin or would it be overkill?

Some background information, I'm 17 with a family history of pretty aggressive MPB. Hair has receded only a little bit up to today but I've been shedding a lot for 5-6 months now and my crown and frontal regions are getting thinner.

EDIT: Forgot to say this in my original post, but I also use 2% ketoconazol. It's probably doing close to zero, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    I know I don't have growth stimulators in my regimen but i don't need them. I just need to maintain what I have now. Do you think it would be necessary to add RU to my 0.25mg fin or would it be overkill?

Some background information, I'm 17 with a family history of pretty aggressive MPB. Hair has receded only a little bit up to today but I've been shedding a lot for 5-6 months now and my crown and frontal regions are getting thinner.

EDIT: Forgot to say this in my original post, but I also use 2% ketoconazol. It's probably doing close to zero, but it's something.
    no Man U cannot go on fin or RU . U are to young . U must get on Minox . U can restore your hair . Then in 2 years jump on fin

Quote Originally Posted by lilpauly View Post
    no Man U cannot go on fin or RU . U are to young . U must get on Minox . U can restore your hair . Then in 2 years jump on fin
    I'm already on fin. It's prescribed by a dermatologist. In fact, he wanted to prescribe dut to me first.

Look, I get what you're saying but I really don't want to turn this thread into a discussion wether or not I should take fin. As long as I'm tolerating the sides, I'm taking fin and that is that. My question remains the same: Do you think it would be necessary to add RU to my 0.25mg fin or would it be overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    I'm already on fin. It's prescribed by a dermatologist. In fact, he wanted to prescribe dut to me first.

Look, I get what you're saying but I really don't want to turn this thread into a discussion wether or not I should take fin. As long as I'm tolerating the sides, I'm taking fin and that is that. My question remains the same: Do you think it would be necessary to add RU to my 0.25mg fin or would it be overkill?
    I would start with fin and Minox .

The more crap you add the less you have any idea what is working. Do you want to use RU for life without knowing if it even does anything? I guess if you have money to waste go ahead. I dont see the point in using anything beyond fin for fighting the androgens

If you want to use fin but want something stronger, take Dut .5 every few days, no need for everyday with Dut. Dut stays in your system longer and is 100x more powerful than fin in some of the chemicals and properties.

Dut is also fairly safe, and tested. The liquid gels are easy to mix with some water/ everclear and apply to scalp.

Check out my thread where I mix Dut, caffiene powder, vit c powder, everclear, and castor oil.

Ultimately it's up to you.

The cons: RU is not even proven conclusively to work to the same degree as fin, and since there is no legit commercial supplier you're buying it grey market with all the risks that entails in terms of quality control etc.

It also may have systemic effects, though these seem to be minor.

It's also expensive, more of a pain to mix up and most evidence suggests you need to keep it in the freezer and mix it up as you need it, usually weekly. I personally found it was not stable even in KB solution. I could tell it was losing effectiveness after about 4-5 weeks because my scalp started to get oily again.

The pros: I did find it effective though not really noticeably better than 1mg fin alone, except with the oily scalp thing. RU absolutely nuked the oil for the first few weeks so I knew it was having a strong AA effect. But I didn't notice any real regrowth in the six months I used it.

I would suggest if you're seriously concerned about it, try it out and see how you go in terms of cost, time and convenience and whether you are happy to keep using it. You could even then ditch the fin altogether if you find it's really effective for you.

Alternatively, you could try fin at whatever dose you can tolerate, and keep a really strong watch with monthly photos of your scalp. If you notice you're losing ground, start the RU then. You should notice long before anybody else does.

Unfortunately MPB is one of those conditions where you won't know how well the medication is working - you'll only know if it doesn't work because you'll lose hair, and once you know your regime isn't strong enough, it's generally too late unless you're really on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    The more crap you add the less you have any idea what is working. Do you want to use RU for life without knowing if it even does anything? I guess if you have money to waste go ahead. I dont see the point in using anything beyond fin for fighting the androgens
    That's true...

Quote Originally Posted by blondetooth View Post
    If you want to use fin but want something stronger, take Dut .5 every few days, no need for everyday with Dut. Dut stays in your system longer and is 100x more powerful than fin in some of the chemicals and properties.

Dut is also fairly safe, and tested. The liquid gels are easy to mix with some water/ everclear and apply to scalp.

Check out my thread where I mix Dut, caffiene powder, vit c powder, everclear, and castor oil.
    Will check it out, thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    Ultimately it's up to you.

The cons: RU is not even proven conclusively to work to the same degree as fin, and since there is no legit commercial supplier you're buying it grey market with all the risks that entails in terms of quality control etc.

It also may have systemic effects, though these seem to be minor.

It's also expensive, more of a pain to mix up and most evidence suggests you need to keep it in the freezer and mix it up as you need it, usually weekly. I personally found it was not stable even in KB solution. I could tell it was losing effectiveness after about 4-5 weeks because my scalp started to get oily again.

The pros: I did find it effective though not really noticeably better than 1mg fin alone, except with the oily scalp thing. RU absolutely nuked the oil for the first few weeks so I knew it was having a strong AA effect. But I didn't notice any real regrowth in the six months I used it.

I would suggest if you're seriously concerned about it, try it out and see how you go in terms of cost, time and convenience and whether you are happy to keep using it. You could even then ditch the fin altogether if you find it's really effective for you.

Alternatively, you could try fin at whatever dose you can tolerate, and keep a really strong watch with monthly photos of your scalp. If you notice you're losing ground, start the RU then. You should notice long before anybody else does.

Unfortunately MPB is one of those conditions where you won't know how well the medication is working - you'll only know if it doesn't work because you'll lose hair, and once you know your regime isn't strong enough, it's generally too late unless you're really on the ball.
    A lot of truth spoken in your post, Pate. By the way, with the bolded part in your post, do you mean that you kept your RU outside the fridge in KB solution to see for how long it remained effective (and the results were, at least for you, that it lost effectiveness after 4-5 weeks)?

Now, as to all three poster above me, I think I must elaborate myself a bit more. Apparently I'm extremely gyno-prone. I took 1mg fin for 8-9 days and I already started to develop a lump under my right nipple. I got off fin for a while, waited until those weird sensations in my chest were gone and waited a few extra days just to be sure. The lump didn't disappear but that didn't really surprise me as gyno is usually permanent.

I then wanted to build my dose up to see what my body could tolerate. I started with 0.25mg. That was 4 days ago. After day 1 the weird chest sensations returned and by day 4 (today) I noticed that a) the lump under my right nipple had grown a bit bigger and b) I developped another lump, this time under my left nipple.

So apparently even 0.25 mg is too much for my body to handle and taking less fin is not very likely to have great effect on hair loss.

Anyway, to get to the point: blondetooth, taking dut will be a horrible idea if I can't even tolerate the sides of 0.25mg fin ED. I can only imagine how bad my gyno will become when taking dut, as I believe that the half life of dut is like a couple of weeks.

Pate, I'm starting to realize that RU is my only option right now. I know that there will be better products on the market in the near future, but that will probably still be 5 years at least. Even when things will go very smooth, we're probably looking at 3 years minimum. I can't afford to wait for a treatment that long. So yeah, like you made clear in your post, fin is preferrable over RU but I guess I don't have a choice.

Or get gyno surgery every month though that is probably a bit more expensive