+ Reply to Thread

Arrow My Story Up To Here

Hello all,

I felt I should introduce myself. I am a 26 year old male with a high incidence of genetic alopecia on my father's side (three brothers bald, three not), so between that and having watched my brother thin over the past 7 or 8 years, I've long known that losing my hair was a possibility. About 3 years ago I got serious about it and looked into what I'd need to do in the event that I noticed thinning. I admit that there was a period of about a year where I brushed it off, thinking I was probably just "seeing things." Then, back at the beginning of this year, I began suspecting that my hairline was thinning, so I went on finasteride. I have no diagnosis since my doctor prescribed it based on my family history alone, but I was worried.

It's been about 7 months, and so far I have no idea how much it's helping. If only I had the dermatological resources to track progress, then I wouldn't be walking nearly blind. Every day I read the summary of the 5 and 10 year studies and try to take heart in the fact that at the very least I have an excellent chance of keeping what I have.

Right now I think that I'm a Norwood 1. I have what seems like pretty thick hair, yet I walk around picturing myself as being very thin in the harline and mid-scalp. Psychologically, it's been a nightmare. I have nightmares about it. It is all the worse when people tell me that being bald is okay and or that I'm "too concerned" with it. Many bald people just don't want to go "there", while many who don't have the problem are very cavalier about it. I have a friend who actually talked to his SHRINK about me, telling him about my OCD, and reports back to me with "This being so important to you is your OCD" (literally trying to pass this off as a "fact", when it's their value judgment on hair), pathologizing me when my reaction is completely proportionate as per at least one study that has been done on this subject. So I have no support in my immediate surroundings, other than maybe my mom.

All I have to say to people who trivialize my suffering is - SCREW YOU!

Anyway, I am hoping that I'm a good responder to finasteride. Even if I can slow the process, that buys me time both in terms of enjoying my youth and preparing for other measures. Not that transplants without effective medical therapy is the best scenario in the world.

I don't think much about future potential treatments, but Bernstein talks a lot about hair cloning, and I really hope that that becomes available within the next 10 years.

In the meantime I am battling my neuroses and reminding myself constantly that the odds are very much in my favor. 90% over 5 years and 86% over 10 is pretty damn good chances.

I understand your suffering. What would help is to visit the forums less frequently and to read less often about hair loss studies, side effects of fin and future treatments. With this I'm not saying that you shouldn't pay attention to what treatments we will be having in the future and that you shouldn't pay attention to what the potentional side effects are. Instead, I'm telling you that you have to let your mind get some rest. You're tiring yourself out and believe me, continuing this will only result in a deeply rooted depression (if you aren't in that already).

Try to only read about hair loss related stuff once a week (or find a frequency that you can comfortably and happily live with). I'm going through the same thing you just described and it sucks, but I realise that a lot of my paranoia and anxiety is caused by constantly being busy with it. Ofcourse we should not ignore our hair loss but we shouldn't be busy with it 24/7 either. It'll eat you alive.

In the meantime, realise that you're already treating your MPB with taking fin. Often, knowing that you're actually doing something against the problem can offer a little peace to your mind.

Best of luck man

Sage advice, Illusion. Thank you so much.

I try to keep my forum visits brief. Make a few posts and GTFO! I was nearly driven to the drink after reading that thread about bald men having no reason to live! I had to stop! Even I'm not at that point though. I can navigate this just as I have other challenges in my life. I think the past week especially has been a wake up call for me. I've spent a lot of time sleeping, allowing things around me to dilapidate. Today I woke up and realized that I have to manage my terror better so that I don't end up like many others (bless the poor sufferers) who have let their hair fears run their lives.