+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by blondetooth View Post
    Fin is also is good for your prostate, makes it so its not so big and loose aka hard to pee, and reduces prostate cancer.

My dad almost died from Rogaine aka Monoxidil, he has permanent heart problems.

There is nothing good from Minoxidil, at least propecia is good for you. Minox is just nasty chemicals.

Propecia good for you? That's absurd. The side effects are very real and very prevalent. I don't believe in mercks 1% or whatever they claim gets them. Not to mention, the sides are sometimes irreversible.

why do you think doctors perscribe it? irreversible? Who are you to say that?

Compared to other options for hairloss finestride is by far the most valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by blondetooth View Post
    why do you think doctors perscribe it? irreversible? Who are you to say that?

Compared to other options for hairloss finestride is by far the most valuable.
    I agree it's possibly the best option. Who am I to say that? Someone who has done extensive research on the drug and is in one of the best medical schools in the U.S. Further, you telling people to use lower dosages is misleading as the drugs affects almost plateau at .2mg dosage.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    Propecia good for you? That's absurd. The side effects are very real and very prevalent. I don't believe in mercks 1% or whatever they claim gets them. Not to mention, the sides are sometimes irreversible.
    I don't have a problem with anything but the prevalent part. I can accept guys get sides, but the power of suggestion is huge when it comes to fin sides. A smart guy going to one of the best medical schools should acknowledge that. The internet is filled with BS "testimonials" of fin sides. You bring up the merck study and the 1% statistic. Well what do you think about the fact the incidents of sides was higher in the placebo group than those actually taking propecia?

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    I agree it's possibly the best option. Who am I to say that? Someone who has done extensive research on the drug and is in one of the best medical schools in the U.S. Further, you telling people to use lower dosages is misleading as the drugs affects almost plateau at .2mg dosage.
    I met Dr. Irwig for an appointment purely by chance. I went to see an endocrinologist (unrelated to my finasteride use) at GW medical school and it turned out to be the man who was most loudly arguing that Propecia can have persistent side effects. When the conversation turned to my finasteride use he mentioned his research to me. I grilled him for almost fifteen minutes and I must say, he was extremely underwhelming. He has no real evidence of persistent side effects, is using a skewed sample by drawing patients from propeciahelp.com and did no hormonal testing. In effect, he was asking already paranoid folks for a self-assessment of their side effects. That's not a legitimate study.

It is true that a lower dosage is misleading as the biological effect is for all intents and purposes a plateau at a dosage well below .2mg. The only thing you'll be saving is money.

That 1% number doesn't mean it's the actual incidence. There's also no patient segmentation in that figure. It could be a bit higher in young men, for example. I can say that aside from gyno, I have taken finasteride and dutasteride for almost six years with no ill effect. I would recommend against someone who is paranoid of side effects to start taking the drug. In a study where patients where told they were receiving a finasteride pill and that finasteride could cause sexual side effects, something like 40% experienced side effects. The catch? They were taking sugar pills.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I don't have a problem with anything but the prevalent part. I can accept guys get sides, but the power of suggestion is huge when it comes to fin sides.
    I spoke with our patient today about minoxidil and finasteride. He mentioned using finasteride for a few years but lost interest in sex altogether. He said he was one of the 2% that got sides. I haven't looked at the stats on that, but I would say in speaking with Dr. Cole's patients at least 30% claim side effects from finasteride and dutasteride. Certainly not a study, just an observation. Keep in mind that most men's sex drive and performance varies throughout the year/years. So in some cases finasteride users could be blaming finasteride for a temporary down cycle.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck