+ Reply to Thread

Default Fathering Children on Dutasteride and Finasteride

Hey all,

I've been searching for a couple of months now on this subject and no one seems to have a definitive answer on if it's safe to have children while taking Dutasteride. Currently, I take Finasteride 5mg Monday - Friday and take one Avodart pill on Saturday without taking anything on Sunday.

My wife and I are planning next December (after I get out of Grad School) to start trying to conceive a child. I recognize that Dutasteride has a much longer half-life than Finasteride, and although Finasteride is safe, my plan would be to stop Finasteride a few days or even a week before trying during the time of her ovulation.

It's annoying that I can't get any answers from anyone, even posted a question on baldingblog and no definitive answer was given. I haven't found a case of birth defects related to Dutasteride usage and I'm sure many people have conceived children while the male was taking Dutasteride, but any insight would be helpful.

Lastly, there seems to be this one crazy person named "Schwazo" going into all the forums and writing the following exactly the same in multiple forums:

Dutasteride is a powerful drug and still with much mystery.

Conflicting information about its half-life has been released with popular estimates including 10 days and a whole month.

The drug maker warns against blood donations prior to six months of cessation. I am no scientist but understand that Dutateride needs time much longer than 6 months to leave your system.

Fathers claiming to have fathered healthy boys speak too soon as the drug's effects may not emerge until puberty.

To be safe stop using it for YEARS! (yes, years)
    I'm sorry, but I don't buy the above scare tactic, but please post if someone has understanding on this subject matter.

Thanks!

I have a friend who was & still on Propecia and has a healthy kid. Good for you not buying into the scare tactics on the web. Any questions I would ask your Doctor or go to your pharmacist & they could answer all your questions. Good luck with your future family. A lot of men have had children while on the drug.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the bad effects of both Fin and Dut mostly for people carrying the baby? I Googled around, all results point towards carrying but nothing more.

I'd say you're fine, no need to drop it even. Just go with it and good luck!

Dude go to your doctor and get a sperm analysis. They will determine your sperm count and the health of those sperm and if you will be able to impregnate your girlfriend. If not, you could opt for certain medications to try and increase sperm quality/count, or stop fin/dut, or both.

You can father children on fin and dut, it is possible. And the risk is actually for the woman, if she were to consume either it could result in problems.

I appreciate everyone's responses! However, does anyone know of anyone who actually did father children while taking Dutasteride? Again, I'm wondering with such a long half-life if a woman is exposed to the drug through the sperm.. how long will it stay in her system and will the child absorb it?. I think the main difference between Finasteride and Dutasteride is the MUCH shorter half-life of Finasteride.

Don't do it they'll come out perma-bald!

I was taking Finasteride and had surprise baby. Baby is 7 months now and very little hair on top, normal back and sides. Really worried about impact of this drug on the baby. Any advice or experience guys? thanks.

I would venture to say that any potential male formation impact would have been already noted by your doctors.

Thanks, fair point. yes will get him checked out in any case. Am also bit
    concerned on his smallish size downstairs..And if possibly a side-effect though maybe I am just paranoid or his mom's side.. We had almost no sex during pregnancy hope that reduces chances of impact..
    Last edited by Bobby343; 12-16-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Well I don't have much experience looking at the penis' of infant males, but who cares how big it is now?

Ultimately the size of ones genitals comes down to how much testosterone they were exposed to in uterus which influences their testosterone in general.

Besides, maybe he's not a shower, he's a grower.