+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

With your great hair, just leaving it in the medicine cabinet would most likely be as effective as taking a full dose.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    With your great hair, just leaving it in the medicine cabinet would most likely be as effective as taking a full dose.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com

I want to start now. I already have vellum hairs around the corners, below the temple. I want to keep as much as possible

Bump, I need advice and everyone appears to say bump when they want it.

I'm just gonna repost what I did for another chap...cuz you fall in the same category so it still all applies.

Have necessary blood work done to rule out anything that could affecting your hair. Especially thyroid. Now I'm not talking the TSH, you have to ask for free T3 and free T4 as well. If you have taken all those steps, than you can rule out any disorders or diseases affecting your hair.

I also want to say that it is normal for hair to change (quality, texture etc) as we age. Doesn't mean you gotta be 40 plus, things change as our body does. So you can very well just be experiencing your hair changing in regards to getting older. Hair falling out or shedding, with or without white or pigmented dark bulbs at the end... its all normal. Every human sheds hair, like up to 150 hairs a day (please dont begin counting your falling hairs ahah). I've had gf's with beautifully thick hair, and you should have seen the hairs just everywhere in our place...floor, laundry, sink...let alone their hair brushes hah. And they had amazing hair. Its life. If you begin to lose hair in legit handfulls or patches...thats different story. But dont focus on hairs falling in the shower while shampooing or brushing...its madness.

I unfortunately am losing my hair, due to mpb. I know this because my hairs that are falling out, are growing back miniaturized. I can seen them in my hairline. People who do not suffer mpb, or baldness period, when they shed their hair - it grows back 100% like the rest. Where as mine just came back smaller and thinner and smaller and thinner...you get the picture. So this is all you need to look for. To really get a gauge on this process you need either a miniaturization study, or hair bulk analysis done. So even if you have these done now, you can kinda keep track every year to see if things are actually changing.

Finally bro, what you really wanna hear. I know where you stand...feeling a change and knowing it is taking place while nobody else does. Even to this day, no one would say I was balding. Through the years after my hair has thinned, still even HT surgeons say I shouldn't be worried. Though I have had those tests done and have quantified and observed the changes over time. Its a tough place to be, in limbo. BUT!!!

Your hair looks great!! You have no recession, a NW1. I am a NW2 and both NW1 and 2 are not considered balding in the traditional hair loss sense. If you happen to be a diffuse thinner at the top like me, get those tests and just follow up every year to see if there are any changes...thats all you can do. But I seriously see nothing that would suggest that either. Its so early in the game, I've been at that point and to a degree, still am. But you have nothing to worry about right now. No thin areas to be seen in those pics, no recession...you are in the clear in all regards to anything mpb related.

Just take it easy, and dont focus on it. I've been there and man did I fccckkkk my life up emotionally and mentally by stressing and obsessing. Don't do it to yourself ok. Remember what I wrote at the beginning...hair changes naturally as we age, it sheds... and whatever has changed for you, is not really pointing towards mpb. Only thing you need to do if your concerned, is have a miniaturization study or hair bulk analyses done. Approach it like I did near the end...quantify it, watch it and take things one step at a time. Dont think about propecia or fin or minoxidal or a HT...until you get to a point where its clear your hair is miniaturizing and not growing like the rest.

You are at a place now, where when you do those tests...everything is gonna look great! So you have no further steps to take except have it done again in 6 months or a year (:

Question

I understand I have good hair for the moment but have had thinner looking hairs in each temple. I noticed also most men have this so I'm not sure what to think.
    Also, I have questions regarding when to take fin (I have 1 mg prescription of 30) , how often, and where it is best to buy without insurance and with a prescription.
    Last edited by Almost935; 12-09-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: More information

Bump on finasteride intake for hair like mine assuming I insist on taking it.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

HELLO Almost935 !

First of all, your head of hair looks GOOD. (wish my hair looked that good)
    It could very well be that , at your age now,you are may only be experiencing a NATURAL maturing of your hairline.

That being said, do NOT focus so much attention on it. It may not proceed into a hair loss situation....
    I am quite sure that NO ONE else around you notices ANY type of change to your hair.
    Now if you really do begin to use Finasteride ,you should only use a 1mg tablet per day BUT based on your photos you probably do not NEED that medication.
    Id suggest that you use a topical treatment instead,, maybe like Minoxidil - Rogaine.
    Do not allow your emotions to take over your own views of yourself, my friend.
    Be strong.

Default Recession in Twenties - Great Hair at Sixty

We had a 60 year old man come in today for a hair transplant consultation. He had so much hair for his age I thought it was a hair piece. No thinning on top or bald spot in the back. Before taking his photos, I pulled his hair back in the front and he had some relatively minor recession but it really wasn't bad at all for his age. He told me his hair loss (recession) began in his early twenties. Hair loss of course can be very subjective. I post this as a reminder, that a guy can begin some recession early on and not end up bald.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost935 View Post
    My father has kept a norwood 1 hairline all his life on the right side but the left a little bit more receded. Around the age of 50 that left side moved back a little more but has stopped since then. I've been very interested in the fact that both my father and I have a receded left temple. My maternal grandfather had a Norwood 2 all his life until the age of 35-40 when it receded deeply and now at 81 he has some hair on his head but it's very deeply receded.
    Your hair reminds me of our 21 year old employee's hair here at Dr. Cole's. He normally wears his hair forward and appears to have a solid head of hair (see photos). Of course things can change. In your case where there's no hair loss in your immediate family, I doubt you have anything to stress over. I asked my co-worker if he has any concerns about hair loss and he smiled and said no.

Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg

Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	36647Click image for larger version

Name:	rt-side.jpg

Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	36648Click image for larger version

Name:	lt-side-down.jpg

Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	36649Click image for larger version

Name:	lt-side.jpg

Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	36650

You keep going on about your temples getting worse... Maybe it would be useful to make a close-up picture of both your temples with a good quality camera. I think we're able to help you out a lot better regarding miniaturisation in your temples than we are with the pics you posted originally.

Also, listen to what Chuck (35YrsAfter) says. If there's anyone on this forum that knows a lot about hair lines, norwoods, recession, etc. it's him.