+ Reply to Thread

Angry Hair shampoo frequency and strength? Too much bad? Too less causes dht/sebum buildup?

I feel like since I have been shampooing every other day for the last 6 months my hair has thinned out. I change shampoo's often for what its worth. No conditioner.

I feel like my hair was thicker, or perhaps in a state of dryness that made it better.

I Now have a constant state of slightly greasy hair, it looks darker this way and I like it more. But my hair is become thin, and little re-growth. When I use a powerfull teatree shampoo my scalp become very clean, and it makes my hair slightly dry and frizzy. Is this good?

Should I be scrubbing my scalp to get all the oil and buildup OFF?

My finesteride and Dut should be here in a few days, i'm going to start out on micro doses of .25 fin everyday, and .25 dut every 5 days. I will update this thread with pictures!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blondetooth View Post
    I feel like since I have been shampooing every other day for the last 6 months my hair has thinned out. I change shampoo's often for what its worth. No conditioner.

I feel like my hair was thicker, or perhaps in a state of dryness that made it better.

I Now have a constant state of slightly greasy hair, it looks darker this way and I like it more. But my hair is become thin, and little re-growth. When I use a powerfull teatree shampoo my scalp become very clean, and it makes my hair slightly dry and frizzy. Is this good?

Should I be scrubbing my scalp to get all the oil and buildup OFF?

My finesteride and Dut should be here in a few days, i'm going to start out on micro doses of .25 fin everyday, and .25 dut every 5 days. I will update this thread with pictures!
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about shampoo. Shampoo once per day and alternate Nioxin with a mild shampoo and once per week use Nizoral. I believe we're better off brushing our hair and massaging our scalp, + doing scalp exercises as opposed to babying our hair out of fear some will come out.

Working at Dr. Cole's office I have seen some great results with patients using dut and finasteride. You have to hang in there though, because shedding is common up to several months after starting these medications.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:59 PM.

I used to shampoo twice in the shower, leaving my scalp squeakey clean. Is this good or bad?

Latley I have been having really thin hair, but last 6 months have been shampooing with a very gentle organic shampoo, and every other day. I also use cold water. But this leaves my hair soft and oily.

I used to shampoo twice in the shower, leaving my scalp squeakey clean. Is this good or bad?
    Shampooing twice should be fine.

Latley I have been having really thin hair, but last 6 months have been shampooing with a very gentle organic shampoo, and every other day. I also use cold water. But this leaves my hair soft and oily.
    I prefer warm wash and a cold rinse. Either way shampooing has an extremely minimal impact on hair growth, positive or negative. You may want to consider ACell/PRP treatment. It's pricey, but increases the hair shaft diameter of miniaturizing hair in most cases.

ACell/PRP treatment, thats a scam right? SPAM?

ACell/PRP treatment, thats a scam right? SPAM?
    Overstating the benefits of PRP treatment would of course be unethical.

The US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health posted a research-based article about PRP treatments for AGA (androgenic alopecia or MPB (male pattern baldness). The article closes with the following statement:

"The beneficial effects of PRP in AGA can thus be attributed to various platelet-derived growth factors causing improvement in the function of hair follicle and promotion of hair growth. It is safe, cheap, and non-allergic and it appears to be a useful adjuvant in the management of AGA."

It's not that cheap though.

Most hair transplant doctors use a cautious approach to PRP treatments. At our clinic we recommend PRP treatment on the day of hair transplant surgery. PRP was originally used by hair restoration doctors because it improves healing and is useful because those undergoing hair transplant surgery usually want to be able to get out in public without concerns of having people notice something up with their head. Before and after hair transplant surgery, we do a HairCheck in order to compare hair mass index numbers. If the hair mass index numbers increase significantly, it may be worth the patient's time and money to return for regular PRP treatments.

Dr. Merritt did a study related to how much hair a man can lose before he begins to look thin. He began plucking hairs from a full head of hair. It wasn't until after around 50% of the hair was plucked that the man's hair appeared thin. Keeping that in mind, it's difficult to determine benefits of PRP without actually measuring before and after treatment.

We have before and after photos that clearly demonstrate benefits of PRP treatment. Dr. Greco in Florida uses a combination of PRP and CRP. A regular poster here in the BT forum is satisfied with the result he got from his treatment with Dr. Greco.

So the question is, how why does PRP work? Current research is pointing to the importance platelet growth factors play in healthy hair growth. Valerie Horsley's Yale study indicates the importance of the adipose layer in signalling the production and release of platelet derived growth factors to hair follicles. Balding scalp has a reduced fatty layer. Most men can simply press with their finger on the sides of their head and then the balding areas of their scalp and feel the difference. The balding area feels hard like skin stretched over bone and the sides feel spongy. Similar is true with beard hair. When I was around 14, a thick fatty layer on my chin preceded beard hair growth. Two weeks ago, Dr. Cole removed and placed around 300 beard grafts to my crown. During the surgery, he mentioned to a visiting doctor that you rarely see a beard hair in telogen.

I believe the key to preventing and possibly reversing MPB is finding a better way to get platelet growth factors to hair that is miniaturizing or destined to miniaturize with or without adipose.