+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 18 year old suffering from male pattern baldness. Help me fight this battle? :(

Hey everyone,
    I just joined the forum so Im just 18. A little on my family background my father has done a hair transplant, he started going bald at around 35 years. He has a brother and sister both with heads of full hair and their children too have heads full of hair.My grandfather is bald but my maternal grandfather has good hair. I have always loved my hair. Recently my front hair has started becoming so thin that at time i can see the scalp .the volume has also decreased but it wasn't like this before. It is very depressing as its affecting my self esteem and confidence and makes me cry at times I feel like ending my life literally :'( No one in my family has suffered with this at such an early age. is it this male pattern baldness if not that what is it? How can i get my hair volume back?
    I hope this isn't androgenic alpoceia :'(

Please help me fight this battle
    your time is really appreciated thanks

Here are a few pics
    http://i61.tinypic.com/ml3408.jpg
    http://i60.tinypic.com/24nodbb.jpg
    http://i60.tinypic.com/24nodbb.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 11-5-14 at 11.54 PM.jpg

Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	35798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 11-5-14 at 11.53 PM.jpg

Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	35799  

Finasteride

You have couple of options. See your doctor and ask about Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine, or cut your hair really short and learn to live with it. It seems like the end of the world at your age, but try not to panic and take your time to learn about your real options.

if you don't want to go on hard drugs get yourself some nizoral 2% and use really cold water on your scalp when having a shower, should get the blood flowing to the follicles under attack.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrules View Post
    if you don't want to go on hard drugs get yourself some nizoral 2% and use really cold water on your scalp when having a shower, should get the blood flowing to the follicles under attack.
    If he's really concerned about his hair loss he should see a doctor and learn about his options. Blood flow is most likely not his issue.

Quote Originally Posted by J_B_Davis View Post
    If he's really concerned about his hair loss he should see a doctor and learn about his options. Blood flow is most likely not his issue.
    Right.

Man, all I can say is hang on, you're in for a helluva ride my friend. As a 17 year old, I know how much this sucks. If I were you, don't wait to do something about it. Try to hop on Finasteride and at least maintain your hair for a couple of years. Better things are definitely coming, but it's still gonna be a while. Good luck.

I have visited the doctor and he told me to take Rogaine but after reading about it I don't want to take Rogaine for the rest of my life. If you stop it you lose all your hair so what's the point? And about Propecia that screws with your hormones and can cause erectile dysfunction, I'm so young and wouldn't want any of that to happen either. It's just depressing as no one in my family has gone through this at this age. I'm not even sure if it's androgenic alopecia, I strongly feel it's something else. This might sound weird but I have always had that feeling from within that I would never lose my hair and it's crazy but one always knows what's going on from within and I feel it's something else. But its really depressing and trying to make friends or getting girls is even harder now could you guys share your story if anyone experienced something similar? And what did you guys do?

Quote Originally Posted by hope101 View Post
    I have visited the doctor and he told me to take Rogaine but after reading about it I don't want to take Rogaine for the rest of my life. If you stop it you lose all your hair so what's the point? And about Propecia that screws with your hormones and can cause erectile dysfunction, I'm so young and wouldn't want any of that to happen either. It's just depressing as no one in my family has gone through this at this age. I'm not even sure if it's androgenic alopecia, I strongly feel it's something else. This might sound weird but I have always had that feeling from within that I would never lose my hair and it's crazy but one always knows what's going on from within and I feel it's something else. But its really depressing and trying to make friends or getting girls is even harder now could you guys share your story if anyone experienced something similar? And what did you guys do?
    FIN does nothing permanent, if it gives you major sides, just get off of it and it will go away, if it gives you minor sides, those usually go away after a month or so on the drug. FIN is massive in terms of maintaining and healing the hair that is minaturizing on your head. Dont be afraid of it honestly, I havent heard of a bad story about FIN on here in a while, and if they did have sides they would just get off and be fine.

Rogaine is extremely easy to use, and I never lost hair when I stopped using it for days at a time as FIN is what keeps it, although for the first year or so you should definitely be consistent!! Rogaine is just a minor booster.

I started losing my hair at around 18 as well, started very slow at the hairline, and then just massive shed, been like a NW2-3 since 19 and kinda stayed that way when I got on fin, now I'm just a little thinner at almost 23.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    FIN does nothing permanent, if it gives you major sides, just get off of it and it will go away, if it gives you minor sides, those usually go away after a month or so on the drug. FIN is massive in terms of maintaining and healing the hair that is minaturizing on your head. Dont be afraid of it honestly, I havent heard of a bad story about FIN on here in a while, and if they did have sides they would just get off and be fine.

Rogaine is extremely easy to use, and I never lost hair when I stopped using it for days at a time as FIN is what keeps it, although for the first year or so you should definitely be consistent!! Rogaine is just a minor booster.

I started losing my hair at around 18 as well, started very slow at the hairline, and then just massive shed, been like a NW2-3 since 19 and kinda stayed that way when I got on fin, now I'm just a little thinner at almost 23.
    I have read many horror stories about Propecia and I know people who have applied Rogaine. If you stop using it for a few months everything is pointless again. Why does this happen? I'm taking some biotin capsules as of now. I feel like giving up on life honestly. I'm 18 and have never done anything wrong to damage my hair