+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Up to you, but be aware of the facts and current evidence:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4064044/

"Considerable evidence exists from preclinical and clinical studies, which point to significant and serious adverse effects of 5α-RIs, finasteride and dutasteride, on sexual health, vascular health, psychological health and the overall quality of life. Physicians need to be aware of such potential adverse effects and communicate such information to their patients prior to commencing 5α-RIs therapy."

Anyone who disagrees---feel free to conduct your own peer-reviewed literature review/rebuttal.
    Cited from the article you linked: While many subjects treated with finasteride for MPHL had experienced minimal or no obvious side effects, for some patients the adverse side effects were manifested in loss of libido, diminished libido, erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory dysfunction, anxiety, depression, and in some cases contemplating suicide.

But ofcourse fin/dut isn't candy. At the end it's all about what you're willing to possibly risk to keep your hair. And since OP is a model, he needs his hair for his job and thus it's even more important to him to keep his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger2995 View Post
    Now, please don't tell me that I am fine and that I shouldn't do anything, I want to address this issue while I still have a full head of hair.

I've heard about propecia but not so glad that it temporarily damages libido for some guys, maybe I'll try it to see if it affects me.

First off, I haven't read everything in this thread.

But having practically studies steroids and got a good knowledge about hair loss, and anatomy I do base my opinions greatly on facts.

As far as medication goes for hair loss, it is my understanding that most of these, those you mentioned, work because they inhibit the body from converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone.

That's what propecia does, it does got consequences, and they can be extremely severe(Permanent impotence, even after discontinuation of the drug). It does not happen to everyone it seems, but it is something that can happen over time or very quickly. So, if you consider using these types of drugs, you have to take into consideration if your hair is worth more than your libido/ sexual potence.

Propecia and finasteride works much in the same way(inhibiting testosterone converting to dihydrotestosterone), and share side effects.

------------------
    The bodybuilders, who takes steroids, who I have spoken to seem to have a very big spike in sexual libido if they take derivatives of dihydrotestosterone - such as Trenbolone, together with testosterone.

Same goes for Masteron or Drostanolone propionate. The users of this who are prone to hair loss lose the hair they are going to lose due to dihydrotestosterone a lot quicker.

So that really makes me think, that for a lot of people this type of androgen is very important for sexual libido.

------------------

I can't advice you to take any drug. I haven't seen anything worth it. But if you find anyone giving you advice to take something, look into it. And, I am happy to look into it as well.

Studies on ED linked to these drugs, you can probably look more around and find better I just spent 1 min.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23768246
    http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs...34.2013.813011
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247858.php - ED study.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    First off, I haven't read everything in this thread.

But having practically studies steroids and got a good knowledge about hair loss, and anatomy I do base my opinions greatly on facts.

As far as medication goes for hair loss, it is my understanding that most of these, those you mentioned, work because they inhibit the body from converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone.

That's what propecia does, it does got consequences, and they can be extremely severe(Permanent impotence, even after discontinuation of the drug). It does not happen to everyone it seems, but it is something that can happen over time or very quickly. So, if you consider using these types of drugs, you have to take into consideration if your hair is worth more than your libido/ sexual potence.
    Ok cool. I have read many online testimonials where guys claim to get persistent sides, and have read all the good information in your post. I am afraid of taking finasteride now, but still want to do something about my hair loss. What do you recommend I do to stop my hair loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Ok cool. I have read many online testimonials where guys claim to get persistent sides, and have read all the good information in your post. I am afraid of taking finasteride now, but still want to do something about my hair loss. What do you recommend I do to stop my hair loss?
    As of now, as far as I understand there is no proven drug without side effects for hair loss. The mildest that people talk of here is Minoxidil.
    It makes you shed a lot of hair for 2-4 weeks, dries your skin, itches for 2-4 weeks.
    I haven't read too much about it, but it does seem to work for some people. It has to be applied two times a day. If you discontinue, it does seem you lose everything and further receding and thinning.

Every time your hair halls out, the next hair to replace it, will be thinner and shorter and fall out quicker. That's quite basic, so if you discontinue the use of Minoxidil which caused you to shed a lot of hair in it's early stages, discontinuation of the drug will make your hair even worse. So this is something you will be on forever if you first start taking it. Most drug lose their effect eventually. I don't know whether this is the case with Minoxidil or how long that takes, probably very individual.

Other than that, the options are very limited, that's how it is. If there was a cure we would all know about it. These are the main options right now:

1) Drugs
    2) Hair systems
    3) Hair transplants

1) You are asking me what I would recommend to stop your hair loss. I can't recommend anything, but Minoxidil doesn't seem to harsh. You have to use it twice everyday for many years until it eventually lose effectiveness. So that's one path, I would not personally want to take something everyday for years.

2) Hair systems doesn't stop you from losing hair, they simply cover up. These do involve a lot of work and are costly it seems.

3) Again, doesn't stop you from losing hair. It is costly, but to me it seems to be the only real option. But I have noticed some hair transplants seem to go bad, some seem to go very well. I haven't figured why this is yet, perhaps some of the surgeons posting albums here aren't too great? Or the patience area refuse to use it's own hair or a combination of both, yet it seems to be the best option in my opinion to combat hair loss.

Personally I am just waiting for stem cells, that's the only real way to get your hair back. You don't lose hair in the back because it got resistance to dihydrotestosterone so imagine taking one of these out, and with stem cells multiply it with 3000. But this is pure fiction at the moment and the only predicted date I got for this is 4 years from now.