+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger2995 View Post
    Well, put yourself in my position, all of the men in my family are NW3 or NW3-A by 45. It is obvious that it will be the same for me. I understand that NOW my hairline is perfect but it's only getting worse every day from here.
    In terms of genetics that's pretty good since they have all had slow gradual hair loss and haven't progressed to advanced stages from Nw 5-7. If you really are put off by drugs and if your hair loss is gradual like your family members, then just go for a hair transplant. They can easily restore Nw 3 and even NW4.

Quote Originally Posted by BGL1040 View Post
    The first place to start with a receding hairline is Minoxidil, try it and see if the recession slows or stops.

The mid to long term solution would be Propecia. I took this at 18 and didn't have sides, however I switched to the cheaper alternative (Proscar) at 19 and had dreadful sides which I have had to deal with to this day (I'm now 24). Either way you should seek medical advice before deciding whether Propecia is for you. It's a long term commitment and the potential damage it can do is far worse than hair loss, even if the chance of that is relatively slim.

I'm currently considering Keratene active. It's supposed to lower DHT less significantly than Propecia, in theory slowing hairloss but avoiding side effects. I haven't tried this product so I can't recommend it, you might want to look into it though.
    Why wouldn't you recommend jumping straight into Propecia when I am 19, in order to maintain my current hairline?

Also, is Proscar known for giving guys worse side effects than Propecia?

I would suggest trying minoxidil first, if you get the desired result from that then you may not need to use propecia. I probably got side effects from proscar because my doctor told me to split the pills and take one every other day. The uneven distribution of finasteride within the tablets caused me problems, I didn't have that with propecia but the main ingredient is the same and therefore the side effects can be as well. If you can get results without taking it from something that won't potentially cause you harm then you should try it before going onto propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by BGL1040 View Post
    I would suggest trying minoxidil first, if you get the desired result from that then you may not need to use propecia. I probably got side effects from proscar because my doctor told me to split the pills and take one every other day. The uneven distribution of finasteride within the tablets caused me problems, I didn't have that with propecia but the main ingredient is the same and therefore the side effects can be as well. If you can get results without taking it from something that won't potentially cause you harm then you should try it before going onto propecia.
    Isn't minoxidil something that is a pain to use? Like makes you shed hair and skin? Is it something you apply only where you want your hair to not receed? I have long hair and I cannot afford having my hair look like shit when starting or stopping to use minoxidil.

Well, put yourself in my position, all of the men in my family are NW3 or NW3-A by 45. It is obvious that it will be the same for me. I understand that NOW my hairline is perfect but it's only getting worse every day from here.
    If this is the case, you're in a great spot. It will mean that you're likely to follow the same pattern and a NW3 by the age of 45 is a good thing. Some of the members on this forum are NW7 before they reach the age of 30 or are destined to be just that if they don't undergo treatment.

Like I said, just hop on fin. It's your best shot to keep what you have right now. Although, if your hair loss is that slow and that non-severe as that of your dad & other family members, you could even get away with doing nothing and getting a HT (though it's strongly recommended to go on meds first so just start with fin).

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    If this is the case, you're in a great spot. It will mean that you're likely to follow the same pattern and a NW3 by the age of 45 is a good thing. Some of the members on this forum are NW7 before they reach the age of 30 or are destined to be just that if they don't undergo treatment.

Like I said, just hop on fin. It's your best shot to keep what you have right now. Although, if your hair loss is that slow and that non-severe as that of your dad & other family members, you could even get away with doing nothing and getting a HT (though it's strongly recommended to go on meds first so just start with fin).
    Ok, should I give proscar a go? (obviously splitting the pills). because it's cheaper?

Also, I've heard that if I start fin as early as 19, when I will be experiencing some worse receeding 9-10 years, it won't work because my body will be used to the fin?

Ok, should I give proscar a go? (obviously splitting the pills). because it's cheaper?

Also, I've heard that if I start fin as early as 19, when I will be experiencing some worse receeding 9-10 years, it won't work because my body will be used to the fin?
    Yeah, give proscar a go while splitting them. There are some stories floating around in which people claim to have had more sides with proscar splitted in 5's (1mg per dose) than they had with propecia (single 1mg pills). This would be because of the unevenly devided dose you get when splitting proscar. While it is true that you're probably going to get an uneven dose of fin when splitting proscar, I doubt it's going to have a different effect than precisely 1mg every day. Besides, propecia is just crazy expensive compared to proscar. In my country it's 8 euros for 30 5mg pills. That's 5 months worth of fin! It really is dirt cheap. Propecia on the other hand is 55 euros for 30 pills. Although I'm sure you can get propecia cheaper than 55 euros, you probably see my point.

About your last statement, we don't know that much about fin getting less effective over time. It probably depends on a couple of factors, such as how well your hair responds to fin and how rapid you're balding. We see guys on here who have been succesfully on fin for 10+ years but there are also guys who had to switch to heavier treatment after 2 years or so because fin was getting less effective and wasn't sufficient anymore. And then there are always the guys where fin didn't do shit. But even if the statement was true, about the "my body getting used to fin", what is that going to matter? Are you not going to take fin then? If it were true, you'd probably just shrug and start treatment anyway right?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Yeah, give proscar a go while splitting them. There are some stories floating around in which people claim to have had more sides with proscar splitted in 5's (1mg per dose) than they had with propecia (single 1mg pills). This would be because of the unevenly devided dose you get when splitting proscar. While it is true that you're probably going to get an uneven dose of fin when splitting proscar, I doubt it's going to have a different effect than precisely 1mg every day. Besides, propecia is just crazy expensive compared to proscar. In my country it's 8 euros for 30 5mg pills. That's 5 months worth of fin! It really is dirt cheap. Propecia on the other hand is 55 euros for 30 pills. Although I'm sure you can get propecia cheaper than 55 euros, you probably see my point.

About your last statement, we don't know that much about fin getting less effective over time. It probably depends on a couple of factors, such as how well your hair responds to fin and how rapid you're balding. We see guys on here who have been succesfully on fin for 10+ years but there are also guys who had to switch to heavier treatment after 2 years or so because fin was getting less effective and wasn't sufficient anymore. And then there are always the guys where fin didn't do shit. But even if the statement was true, about the "my body getting used to fin", what is that going to matter? Are you not going to take fin then? If it were true, you'd probably just shrug and start treatment anyway right?
    The logic behind that last statement was that I was wondering if I should start taking fin once my balding gets a lot worse, but you're right, I shall take it anyways.

Any idea how much proscar is in the UK and where can I buy it? I am moving to the UK and am 19 years old and don't have a personal doctor upon moving there.

The logic behind that last statement was that I was wondering if I should start taking fin once my balding gets a lot worse, but you're right, I shall take it anyways.

Any idea how much proscar is in the UK and where can I buy it? I am moving to the UK and am 19 years old and don't have a personal doctor upon moving there.
    Can't help you with that as I don't live in the UK. There are plenty of people from the UK on this forum though, so I'm sure somebody knows where you can get proscar for cheap

Why wouldn't you recommend jumping straight into Propecia when I am 19, in order to maintain my current hairline?
    Up to you, but be aware of the facts and current evidence:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4064044/

"Considerable evidence exists from preclinical and clinical studies, which point to significant and serious adverse effects of 5α-RIs, finasteride and dutasteride, on sexual health, vascular health, psychological health and the overall quality of life. Physicians need to be aware of such potential adverse effects and communicate such information to their patients prior to commencing 5α-RIs therapy."

Anyone who disagrees---feel free to conduct your own peer-reviewed literature review/rebuttal.