+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation I Need Help Withdrawing From Minoxidil: 13 Years In

Hey Guys,
    I started Minoxidil back when I was around 16 and I'm now 29. When I first started, it was amazingly effective. I went to thin hairs everywhere (I'm a diffused thinner) to a full head of hair in a very short time. Over the years, as is normal, the treatment has lost effectiveness and I now have exceptionally thin hair. Unfortunately, over the past 3 years or so, I've started also to have many of the bad Minox side effects including water retention in the face, sagging features, and an overall tired look. I know some people like to go around saying "Your just getting older", but I have gotten off of it for a few weeks before and my looks greatly improve so I am 95% sure this is primarily minox related as I have no skin damage, eat very heathy, exercise and am generally healthy.

My question for everyone is this: Without using Finasteride, what would you recommend to help lessen the terrible shed that is likely coming my way? Here is what I am currently doing

- Fish Oil 1x a day
    - Pumpkin seed oil 2x a day
    - Derma rolling 1x a week with 1.5mm or 2mm - (medium pressure - Small amount of blood draw) 3 weeks in with new venulous hair showing
    - Homemade 5mw x 8 laser 1-2x a week
    - Ketaconazole/Caffine shampoo 2x a week

I have been off minox about 4 days now and I'm would love to hear any recommendations or experiences anyone else has had. I lowered my dose from 2x a day to 1x a day about 4 months ago which helped the side effects some, but now my body is reacting poorly even to this.

I was going to suggest tapering off, but it looks like you are already doing that. Not much more you can do at this point but see what happens. Your new regimen has a couple of things that may work. Some people have had success with dermarolling and laser, hopefully you will too. If you do have success with those, let us know.

Hey Notcoool,
    Thanks for the quick response. I am taking a huge variety of pictures of both my face and hair every week and I will post them if either changes during this. My scalp really feels great from the derma so that is what I'm banking on right now. How is that laser working for you that you bought from that one shady guy on ***?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave721 View Post
    How is that laser working for you that you bought from that one shady guy on ***?
    LOL you remember that? Well no major changes, but I am still using it every day. I will give it a couple of more months before calling it a failure. With that being said just because it doesn't work for me doesn't necessarily mean it wont work for somebody else. I am not saying it does, but there are some around this and other forums that believe in LLLT. Hopefully it will work for you.

Yeah, I think lasers definitely have some merit, but I am starting to doubt that going massive on the power actually has much advantage. It is always hard to tell if its working as an individual as its hard to tell if you are actually saving hair without a large placebo trial.

Get on fin, low dose like .1 or .2 per day is your only real shot. It's better and less sides than minoxidil.

How bad was your diffuse thinning when you first started using Minoxidil and how is it now?

have you tried taking collagen peptides? Sounds like you're a good responder to minoxidil, unfortunately you're probably going to lose all of the hair it was maintaining, take a look at this video.
    http://youtu.be/aFYnz1on4hs

hey man would you say the Minoxidil kept your hair for that long? How is your hair compared to what it was before?