+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Blading? A little advice?

Hey guys, i'm 23 and i am wondering if i am starting to go bald slightly?

First of all - I'm new so any help you give - thank you!!

I used to wear my hair down so I can't tell from pictures if it has receeded. I have a few from last year where i can see my hairline was already quite high. I have always had a widows peak, it's a lot less defined than the pictures (the above angle you can really see it)

One side (my right) is slightly further back than my left. But again, this could have always been the case. Also on that my further back side i had an accident with some clippers. That's why my temple hair may look a little thinner. It has grown back a little recently (i think) hahaha.

Please, any advice is appreciated! Is this normal for a widows peak? I've always had a naturally higher hairline - but my forehead isn't noticebly massive... (i don't think) lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG

Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	35663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.JPG

Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	35664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.JPG

Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	35665  

seems like a maturing hairline, have you been thinning on the sides/temple/sideburn area as well?

Side burns have been fine my temples were always quite far back. I notice some guys have them far back some have them almost touching the eyebrow. Mine have never been very defined. I haven't noticed any hair loss there. I did (for some crazy unknown reason) shave my temple (V) a bit about 4/5 months ago but it is growing back slowly.

Hairs fine all round, it's just as my widows peak goes up it goes quite high and i'm scared it's getting higher? I haven't noticed it is, but my hair was "down" until around a year or 2 ago. And longer on the sides. Now it's clippered at the sides and longer on top.

Maybe it's just my widows peak? It goes up a little higher on one side, is that normal do you know?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

my "further back" side... to try help.

Anyone else any advice? I haven't noticed any hair falling out.... Also, my temple areas have always been further back... IS there anyway to get more hair there? Of fill them out? They aren't thinning (if anything after i shaved one of them, it's growing back) but still they've always been far back.

I do hope it's not receeding. Would i notice it more than this? Sorry if i'm bugging any of you. But when i speak to anyone else about this they laugh and say "look at how much hair you have"..... but it's more my hairLINE i'm bothered about. You guys seem to listen a bit more.. haha

Hey man, welcome to the forum.

So just to be clear: you're worried about your hairline but not with stuff like the density of your hair or any thinning going on up top? As I see it, your hair overall looks pretty thick so you shouldn't worry about that but if I understand this correctly, then that wasn't your concern in the first place.

I have to say that it's really hard for us to say if there's a recession going on because we have no pics to compare it with. You already told us the reason for that (you always wear your hair down so there are no good comparison pics) but I'm just telling you that. If you were having a pretty noticable recession then yes, we would be able to tell you. But it's hard to say in this case, especially since you say you had a high hairline all your life.

Like nursedude said, it could be maturation of your hairline. It could also be MPB-related shedding. Are there many thinning hairs or vellus hairs at your hairline? With thinning hairs I mean thinner, sometimes shorter and generally somewhat unhealthy-looking hairs. In the pics you provided it isn't really possible to say if there are any thinning hairs because of the quality of your pictures.

And don't be sorry to "bug" us (you're not bugging us anyway) because it's a perfectly normal question. You should also understand where other people that say "look at how much hair you have" come from: most people associate balding with bald spots, a heavily receded hairline or advanced thinning. You have none of those three. That doesn't mean you're not balding but it does mean that if you are balding, you catched it in an early stage.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthehair View Post
    Hey guys, i'm 23 and i am wondering if i am starting to go bald slightly?

First of all - I'm new so any help you give - thank you!!
    Your family history of hair loss can be an indicator of where you are headed. I recommend you have a HairCheck. The hair mass numbers can be compared at a later date to get an idea of where your hair may be headed. Men lose hair in different ways. For example, my brother in law receded heavily at his temples in his twenties. His recession stopped and left him with a 5.5cm wide strip of hair in the front with no thinning (baldness) at all in the back. His hair remained that way for many years with no additional hair loss.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I don't know how old you are but your hairline looks much like mine did at 19 or 20. Around that age, I began thinning out in my hairline and temples a bit. My hair just "changed" - more shedding, not as insanely thick as when I was a teenager, but not really balding either. Of course I thought I would be bald as a cue ball by my 22nd birthday and that no woman would ever love me. I'm 37 now and although my hairline has receded a little bit more, I definitely haven't lost hair to a point where anyone would say I am "balding." In fact, people frequently comment on how nice and thick my hair is.

The point of this all is to say, whether you call it a "mature hair line" or just "minor recession," not every guy who thins a bit in the hairline ends up bald. Maybe I will lose a lot more hair when I'm older or maybe not, but the fact that a man's hair changes after puberty does not necessarily always indicate severe hair loss or balding. I wish to god someone had told me that at 19.

Anyway, keep an eye on it and if it continues to get worse consider treatment. But don't let it rule your life, don't obsess about it, run out and get a hair transplant, start taking experimental drugs, or any of the other nutty stuff some of us have done.

Hi guys! Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the late reply.

The more i look at my temples the more i realise they HAVE grown in a bit compared to 4-5 months ago. If i was suffering with MPB on my temples i wouldn't be growing hairs in this area? Right? Sorry I'm just trying to figure all this out. I could just be freaking out about nothing. I pulled today and another 3 hairs came off my temples. But no more after that. (I should probably stop tugging! haha)

Anyway.. any more advice is appreciated. Thanks so much to those who already have.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    I don't know how old you are but your hairline looks much like mine did at 19 or 20. Around that age, I began thinning out in my hairline and temples a bit. My hair just "changed" - more shedding, not as insanely thick as when I was a teenager, but not really balding either. Of course I thought I would be bald as a cue ball by my 22nd birthday and that no woman would ever love me. I'm 37 now and although my hairline has receded a little bit more, I definitely haven't lost hair to a point where anyone would say I am "balding." In fact, people frequently comment on how nice and thick my hair is.

The point of this all is to say, whether you call it a "mature hair line" or just "minor recession," not every guy who thins a bit in the hairline ends up bald. Maybe I will lose a lot more hair when I'm older or maybe not, but the fact that a man's hair changes after puberty does not necessarily always indicate severe hair loss or balding. I wish to god someone had told me that at 19.

Anyway, keep an eye on it and if it continues to get worse consider treatment. But don't let it rule your life, don't obsess about it, run out and get a hair transplant, start taking experimental drugs, or any of the other nutty stuff some of us have done.
    Thanks ryan! I'm prone to anxiety so it's ruling my life a little and I know I shouldn't let it.

My father was fairly bald. He died 10 years ago so i have nothing to compare to from recent years. But he did go quite bald. My mothers side however, especially my grandfather had a full head of hair. My grandmother has a great head of hair at 87 also. Who knows.... I guess we'll just wait and see lol