+ Reply to Thread

Default Please Read And Advise - 23 years old

Okay, I signed up here about a year ago but have not been very active. Just been living life, trying to cope with my hair loss as best I can. I have been taking Finasteride on and off since for...jeez about 5 years now. I started in 2009 but was not very consistent about it at the time. I became better about it. I know you need to be consistent for it to really be effective, so let's assume that for the past couple years I have taken it almost daily, with a couple exceptions like when I was out of the country for a month over the summer and didn't really do it.

I've also tried various shampoos/conditioner: Horse shampoo/conditioner, Nioxin, and currently L'Oreal volume filler thickening shampoo, though I'm not expecting much from that. I guess my hair loss has been pretty gradual. It started at 18 or so, and I'm almost 24 now. It's obviously getting worse as time goes on. My saving grace has been Toppik/Xfusion. It has hidden the thinning decently, but again, as time goes on it's getting to the point where soon it won't be much help, and I'd like to find something else to add to my routine to help with thickening before it gets to that point and I just look stupid.

The obvious choice, to me anyway, is Rogaine. I literally tried the foam once, years ago, and decided against it. It just made my hair greasy, even harder to manage and therefore worse looking. I didn't want to deal with it, and haven't touched it since. Also, the majority of my thinning is in the front of my scalp, with some in the crown area too. I'm not sure how effective Rogaine is in that region, so I'd like some advice about that please. I also know there will probably be shedding initially, which scares me, but I'm willing to deal with it if it helps me in the long run. I do wonder though, when the shedding will take place and how bad it really will be...

Finally, I've been thinking more and more about a hair transplant. I've seen some cases on here that were really inspiring, and on those TV commercials like Bosley. I don't think I have the money for it, but how much would a decent transplant costs? What are the key points I should know about a transplant? If I get one will I need to go back constantly to maintain it? Is there a permanent scar. I think this is the route I may take when I'm in the financial position to do so. Hair loss has really messed up my self esteem over the years. This is not something people should have to deal with as a teenager

I will be uploading pictures to my profile right after posting this. Please view them for reference. The worse looking ones are before applying the Toppik keratin hair fibers for the thickening effect, and the last ones are with it. And I'm happy to post the pics in this thread too, I just don't want to deal with figuring it out right now. Any personal storied and advice about how I should proceed would be great. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

EDIT: How do I post pics to my profile? Or is that not an option?

Can't figure out how to upload pictures, and for some reason I don't see where to edit my original post anymore, but I've uploaded my pictures to imgur and you can check them out here:

http://imgur.com/a/phX5g/all

Thanks.

Right you hairloss does look very advance, the first thing to point out is does Finetseride stop further loss the time you were using it?

I would look into a good transplant as you are eligible, also at the same time I would go with the following:

1. Finesteride if it stops further loss and be consistent, or try Dutusteride more powerfull.

2. Regaine Foam, this is not greasy one bit like the liquid, dries very fast and allows you to carry ob without looking greasy.

3. Regenepure Dr and Nt shampoo.

4. Invest in a good laser helmet.

5. Consider the transplant.

Thanks, that helps a bit but does not address all of my questions. If you have any more information or answers it would be greatly appreciated. I'm counting on you guys for your wisdom and experience! Really have no one else to turn to.

More input please I want to get as much feedback and treatment info as I can from this community. I was also just reading that generic finasteride has reports of not being as effective as a brand name like Propecia. Is this true? I've been using the generic for a long time, it's wayyy cheaper and I figured it's the same drug. Also, what is RU? I see people suggesting all these treatments in abbreviated form and I get lost.

@Jazz1, you say I should use Regenepure Dr and Nt shampoo. So you think I should use both of those at the same time? Is there a special routine for using both?

If you want to consider a hair transplant, you need to get on a maintanence drug like Fin or DUT.

you are 23 and are similar in hair loss too me, the problem is doctors see us as a risk because our hairloss is fairly agressive at a young age.

it sounds like you've been on it for a while, has your hairloss continued? if yes, then you need to upgrade to DUT as your MPB is too agressive for FIN like mine.

If you cant maintain your hair with DUT or FIN you will not be a candidate for a hair transplant, I had this problem with fin and was turned down from an HT(im a bit of a diffuse thinner though) so now I am trying to get a hold of DUT.

Get on dutas Take .5 every other day... that dose will be 10x plus more effective than weak fin. I would try one other thing too, it's up to you. Minoxidil is a pain to deal with so I wouldn't rec it. Maybe ru. How is your health and fitness? Tried dermaroller?