+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default could this be a break through

I posted this on hair loss help where I usually post but I know alot of you here are not on that site, so I wanted to post this here to just to get your opinion...it may be nothing but ' here is the article I just read. Also, here is the link and I posted the main point directly on here.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/10/prweb12275657.htm
    result from severe burns and chronic wounds.

This study demonstrates the promise of using dermal papilla cells as a component of engineered skin to produce a functional skin equivalent.”

Durham, NC (PRWEB) October 24, 2014

A new way to produce engineered skin not only appears to overcome several pitfalls of current skin grafting technologies, it also speeds up the healing process, reduces scarring and produces hair. The method, outlined in the October issue of STEM CELLS Translational Medicine, could represent a breakthrough for treating deep skin injuries that result from severe burns and chronic wounds.

A deep skin injury completely destroys the skin’s regenerative elements. These wounds heal by contraction, with epithelization (the process by which a new layer of skin is formed) only at the edges. The result is generally reduced joint movement and extensive scarring. In the case of an extensive lesion, healing can sometimes be unsuccessful and the lesion becomes life threatening.

Engineered tissue shows promise as a way to treat deep skin injuries, but its success depends on finding a suitable formula of stem cells for seeding the scaffold upon which the skin substitute is grown.

María Eugenia Balañá, Ph.D., principal investigator at the National Scientific and Technical Research Council (Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas - CONICET) in Buenos Aires, led a team of the Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología “César Milstein” researchers in evaluating what happens when dermal papilla cells, found at the hair follicle bulb, are infused with human hair follicle stem cells (HFSCs). Her group tested three different engineered tissues using a cell-free dermal matrix as a scaffold and seeded it with human adult cell mixtures: one scaffold was seeded with HFSCs alone, another with HFSCs plus human dermal papilla cells, and a third with a mix of HFSCs and human dermal fibroblasts.

Initial laboratory results showed that the engineered tissue containing HFSC and dermal papilla cells had a more regular stratification pattern and a higher number of p63-positive basal epidermal cells, which make up the lower layer of the epidermis (skin), than those carrying HFSC and dermal fibroblasts. p63 expression is considered an epithelial stem cell marker of the epidermis.

They next grafted the dermal papilla cell-containing engineered tissue onto nude mice and found similar results: Over time the skin maintained a constant number of p63-positive cells. These results suggest that an epidermal stem cell population is maintained in the graft, allowing the physiological turnover of skin cells.

“In addition,” Dr. Balañá said, “our study suggested that the presence of dermal papilla cells in engineered skin encouraged the graft to ‘take’ and stimulated the wound healing process. Furthermore, we showed for the first time to our knowledge that the mixture of dermal papilla cells and HFSCs, both of adult human origin, were able to induce hair bud-like structures reminiscent of the hair follicle growth process.”

Quote Originally Posted by mikes23 View Post
    They next grafted the dermal papilla cell-containing engineered tissue onto nude mice and found similar results: Over time the skin maintained a constant number of p63-positive cells. These results suggest that an epidermal stem cell population is maintained in the graft, allowing the physiological turnover of skin cells.
    In other news, researchers still giving human beings the finger with their holy grail findings.

It'd be nice to hear of these findings get done on HUMANS for once rather than constantly screwing with mice and never bringing anything over to our side.

And ya know what, they've already done something like this in humans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc3fPeNZooA. But of course it cannot be mainstream because this would a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    In other news, researchers still giving human beings the finger with their holy grail findings.

It'd be nice to hear of these findings get done on HUMANS for once rather than constantly screwing with mice and never bringing anything over to our side.
    "Screwing with mice" prevents what would truly be "giving human beings the finger" in the form of unknown, potentially dangerous, side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post

You really don't understand anything about the scientific community. Why don't you get yourself some education in the scientific process before going on and on with your constant rants about how how miserable life is losing some hair on your head or how there is some crazy conspiracy to bald guys everywhere. You honestly believe that if there was a "cure" for hairloss without major side effects, researchers and their companies would just say meh screw it, let's stick it to bald guys everywhere.

Try and use that brain of yours, just because researchers are working on a treatment or could work one treatment doesn't mean it will work. It's easy for you to sit here and complain and whine how no one gets stuff done, or they are lazy and incompetent, when you obviously lack the minimal amount of logic to figure out not everything works out the way you want it, there is a process to everything and with reason.

Scientists have done miraculous things with rats, but that doesn't mean it will work the same on humans. I'd rather have them experiment with animals rather than risk human lives.

Looks like some people prefer mice to get all the cures. How nice.

I agree with hello user researchers have moved way to slow with curing hair loss. We should of had a cure by now. I'm not saying there is an agenda but definitely a lack of effort to solve this disease. And it definitely is a disease. One cannot downplay the depression it brings, especially in young men. And seeing how sucide is the second leading cause of death for men between 15-29, I think baldness needs to be taking more serious. Now I know there are no specifics saying this amount of people took their life because they were bald, but I'm sure if they were bald, it could of played into their decision of killing themselves. Like they say, when you look good, you feel good.

And this study was done with epithelial cells. I recently posted a study showing that they used epithelial cells to repair a bunch of people's vision. I believe it was 18 people. They followed up with these patients after 3 years and none of this patients showed any kind of cancer. So I do not see why they couldn't test something like this on humans, since we have already tested and shown the safety of epithelial cells

They ARE testing exactly this type of thing. All of that news we got about lauster and jahoda et al was all about teams combining DP and epithelial cells to try to create hair. whatever was done in this study was not focused on producing hair and did not produce real hair. This science is being pursued pretty diligently, and no one is going to try it on humans before it is deemed safe and most importantly, effective. why would someone drop 2 mil on a clinical trial of something that they know isn't going to work? Hellouser uses absolutely no logic or clarity in his thinking, it is all about him and what the world owes him. When they find something that cures hair loss, is marketable, and more effective than what we have now, they will push it as fast as they can, you can be sure of this. It takes a long time sometimes to raise money. if it was easy we would all have money all the time. gotta convince people to run these expensive trials, and right now we are seeing the very first convincing stabs at hairl loss treatment with cells. its a pretty revolutionary time and it may not pan out for companies like replicel if the treatment isn't great. or it might. either way things happen the way they do for a reason. stem cells were fast tracked in japan because someone was bound t see the safety of these therapies and the need to carry them out. if progress doesn't suit you then go study hair research. its never too late to change your own life, which is all you can do.

Some people here are under the delusion that simply throwing money at the problem will fix it. Hair loss is not as simple as some of you may think it is. The actual underlying cause of hairloss is still unknown. It's easy to sit back and say researchers aren't doing their job or aren't trying hard enough when it's not your job, money or reputation on the line. These people obviously want to succeed in their work, work, but just because they try a treatment or put it through trials doesn't mean it's going to work, that's why they are called trials.

We see new medical breakthroughs in the news all the time as Mikes23 pointed out, but the problem here is, these are often erroneously reported by the news media in order to generate more views. And just to add to that point, you can't equate a breakthrough in one field to another, it's comparing pales to oranges, this is the same reason you can't say well it worked on mice why won't they just do it on humans already.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes23 View Post
    I agree with hello user researchers have moved way to slow with curing hair loss. We should of had a cure by now. I'm not saying there is an agenda but definitely a lack of effort to solve this disease. And it definitely is a disease. One cannot downplay the depression it brings, especially in young men. And seeing how sucide is the second leading cause of death for men between 15-29, I think baldness needs to be taking more serious. Now I know there are no specifics saying this amount of people took their life because they were bald, but I'm sure if they were bald, it could of played into their decision of killing themselves. Like they say, when you look good, you feel good.

Looking at it from an objective point of view, you should agree with me that it's more important to cure diseases like cancer or treating certain mental diseases that it would be to 'cure' baldness.

I know I don't feel often like the above either (that is, having difficulties looking at this from an objective point of view) but you must agree with me that life-threatening diseases and other diseases that make living life very hard and painful because of something in your body not working properly (not balding since MPB itself doesn't effect health at all). Or what to think about curing people who are blind or deaf?

Honestly, I think it sucks too, the slow progression and the lack of proven treatments up to this day. But it's also pretty logical if you think about it really. You know what would drastically speed up the process? If EVERY balding men in the world started stressing about it like we did and started with some kind of treatment. Demand would become skyhigh and thus there would be more money to be made with treatments for balding. Could you image what would happen then? That would be amazing.

However, I've read somewhere that only ~7-10% of all balding men actually does something against it (that is, starting some kind of treatment, wether it's snake oil or not). Ofcourse we don't know how reliable this number is but still, it's pretty low.

And, like many have already said throughout forums like these, If women would bald as much as men did, it would be even more great (though effectiveness of traetments could vary between genders.

Now that I think about it, the best thing to do to speed up processes of new treatments would be to make other people who are balding insecure about it. That way they'll want to keep what they still have (and achieve regrowth) and will start treatment => demand will rise. It's pretty low and unethical to do this though, making others insecure and stuff.