+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Should I throw in the towel?

I've been on finasteride for the past 2.5 years, and during that time, I've been relatively happy. I've always had a slight thin spot behind my bangs, but I can easily cover it up by spiking up my bangs.

Unfortunately, now when I look in the mirror, my bangs are see through when spiked up. It seemed to happen all of the sudden, and obviously it's pretty disheartening.

I've re-introduced Nizoral 2-3 times per week into my regime for the past two weeks now, and take generic fin 1 mg daily.

I know some people have mentioned hair sheds or hair synchronization as a possible cause for the sudden thinning, and I'm wondering if this is realistic, or just a pipe dream. I know that at the end of the day, I'll just have to sit and wait to see if I do regain anything I lost, but I'd rather do it without a head full of unrealistic expectations, if possible.

Thanks guys

I would say no, don't throw in the towel. It is hard to really guage how bad your hair loss really is without pics, but what may seem bad now will get much worse without treatment. If you can deal with that then throw in the towel, but if you can't then don't.

Thank you so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm a bit shy and didn't take too many photos of my hair beforehand, so I don't have much to compare it to. I know it can be a hassle on this forum.

In any case, am I right in assuming a 'seasonal shed', or something like that is an unlikely culprit? I keep my hair medium length, and I appear to be shedding mostly small hairs, if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 24goingon80 View Post
    In any case, am I right in assuming a 'seasonal shed', or something like that is an unlikely culprit?
    I wouldn't be so sure, it may be a shed.

I just wanted to say that as bad as it may seem now, it can get way worse. Just using my own personal case as an example. My hair condition sucks, but I continue to treat my hair loss. Diffuse NW3 is better than NW6, at least in my opinion.

Go for the minox! Try applying it very well just once a day, before going to bed. It might be the additional kick to you need to put you in positive territory, not just slowing down the hair loss process by using finasteride but actually regrowing some hair through the use of finasteride+minoxidil.

Thanks for the reply,
    I'm a bit timid to use the minox until I'm 100% sure its not a shed, to be honest. I dread a minox shed while my hair already looks this thin. My hair is looking much better over the past week, so I'm feeling a little optimistic.

Inactive

Just curious.... Have you considered having a hair transplant at some point, or are meds the only way you wanna go? Especially if you don't have ongoing hair loss, it seems that a transplant could maybe be used to "fill in" what you have lost. Thoughts?

I always despise when people don't update these things, so here we go..

I have good news. I stayed the course with nizoral and my fin, and my hair is back to normal. I can do my 'spiked up' bang look again, and have been for a few weeks. I should mention that I was using pumpkin seed extract as well, but discontinued it because it didn't appear to be doing anything.

So, I'm relatively convinced it was a synchronized shed. I guess that was the best case scenario, so I'm happy