My PRP experience so far

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vic
    • Apr 2014

My experience was very similar to yours FearTheLoss. I had a HUGE shed at around the 2 month mark after my 1st PRP treatment. By the 6th month I had gained it all back and some. I didn't have the same experience with shedding after my 2nd treatment.

Comment

• TooMuchHairWontKillYou
      • Apr 2015

I had 6 pprp injections (1 in every 2 weeks)

Now I'm in worse condition than I was before pprp. But I don't blame the treatment. I think my mpb is aggressive and my condition could be even worse without pprp.

Its third week after my last procedure.

Comment

• Magster
        • Jun 2015

Vic,

How long did the shedding last? Was it just thin, weak hairs? So the hair you lost came back, but overall what kind of gains do feel you had?

Are you young by any chance? I guess I am thinking that a younger person's hair will always come back to one extent or another if the hair cycle is disrupted rather then the progression of AGA.

Was the treatment worth it to you? Thanks!

Comment

• Vic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by TooMuchHairWontKillYou
          I had 6 pprp injections (1 in every 2 weeks)

Now I'm in worse condition than I was before pprp. But I don't blame the treatment. I think my mpb is aggressive and my condition could be even worse without pprp.

Its third week after my last procedure.
          That's a lot of trauma to your scalp. My treatments were 6 months apart. Also, you don't see any benefits from PRP till about 2 months after treatment. Just calculating the time line and treatments you mentioned, you just barely passed the 2 month mark by 1 week...right?

Comment

• TooMuchHairWontKillYou
            • Apr 2015

Its almost 4 month from the first procedure and third week from the last one.

Comment

• Vic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Magster
              Vic,

How long did the shedding last? Was it just thin, weak hairs? So the hair you lost came back, but overall what kind of gains do feel you had?

Are you young by any chance? I guess I am thinking that a younger person's hair will always come back to one extent or another if the hair cycle is disrupted rather then the progression of AGA.

Was the treatment worth it to you? Thanks!
              I was 33 when I had my 1st PRP treatment. My shed started about 1 month after the treatment and lasted into the 2nd month but then one day the shedding just stopped and I lost next to no hair at all. My shed was so aggressive I thought the PRP didn't work and I was destined to be bald. I paid $1600 per treatment. That's a lot for the results I saw.
              Recently I came across an old thread about Derma rolling and Rogaine and gave that a shot. I've experienced MUCH better results using a 1.5 Derma Roller with Rogaine then I did with 2 PRP treatments. So I'd say PRP isn't worth it because a $20 Derma Roller and a $50, 3 month supply of Rogaine has done more for me then $3200 worth of PRP.

I lost all kinds of hair, thin to full terminal.

Comment

• Vic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by TooMuchHairWontKillYou
                Its almost 4 month from the first procedure and third week from the last one.
                It wasn't until the 4th month that I saw any benefit from PRP. I honestly didn't even notice progress because I was looking at my hair every single day. I had multiple people ask me if I had colored my hair. That's how I knew it was working.

Actually my shedding stopped after the 2nd month, that's a benefit I did notice.

Comment

• Magster
                  • Jun 2015

Thanks for the details Vic. I am glad that you are getting a better result without have to shell out that kind of money. I also think a dermaroller is a great tool. Now I am wondering if you started minoxidil for the first time when you started dermarolling? Hoping you will say that you have been on minoxidil for years

Comment

• Vic
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Magster
                    Thanks for the details Vic. I am glad that you are getting a better result without have to shell out that kind of money. I also think a dermaroller is a great tool. Now I am wondering if you started minoxidil for the first time when you started dermarolling? Hoping you will say that you have been on minoxidil for years
                    Thanks! Me Too. It was almost time for my 3rd PRP treatment when I started. Nope, started using Rogaine when I started Derma Rolling 5-6 weeks ago.

Why were you hoping I started years ago?

Comment

• Magster
                      • Jun 2015

Vic,

Because if you had been using minoxidil for years and just introduced the dermaroller and getting much better results, it would give those of us whose positive benefit from minoxidil has plateaued or no longer really effective, reason to think a derma roller might jump start the minoxidil to have a positive effect again.

I think you will get a lot more regrowth from what you are doing then you are even seeing right now. Minoxidil can be amazing for regrowth, and a derma roller will only compound its effects. Best of luck!

Comment

• jamesst11
                        • Jun 2014

I have reasons to believe that PRP may induce telogen effluvium... but who knows, I am really paranoid about TE to begin with.

Comment

• Vic
                          • Apr 2014

Nice, thanks for the info! I'm very optimistic from what I've seen so far. Hope you are right!
                          But doesn't Rogaine take several months to start working?

Comment

• Magster
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by jamesst11
                            I have reasons to believe that PRP may induce telogen effluvium... but who knows, I am really paranoid about TE to begin with.
                            Hey Jamesst11. I suspect the same. What is your reason? Have you spoken to someone who experienced that?

Comment

• jamesst11
                              • Jun 2014

No, but a hair transplant, while drastically different, induced a horrible TE in me. TE in response to physical injury is extremely common. Given that the injury is occurring right on your scalp seemingly wouldn't help. I had TE from an HT, from tearing my knee, from knee surgery, etc... some of us have a more sensitive physiology than others when it comes to this. I personally believe the injury of puncturing your scalp multiple times is significant enough to induce this. I am NOT a doctor though.

Comment

• FearTheLoss
                                • Dec 2012

Yeah I do, I probably won't be doing it again, as I haven't even maintained at this point.

Comment

Working...