+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The one thing that I have learned from being a part of this community and from listening to Spencer Kobren is that we can all get through this. I read as much as I can on the internet including all of the blogs and forums and this is the most caring, friendly community there is. The one blog that I read alot is a doctors who has good knowledge but it is very cold and uncaring. While coming here or listening to Kobren’s show does not make me completely forget about my hair, it helps me cope and that means alot to me.
    You’ll be okay, and will eventually find your best way to cope. One thing I would tell you is to not hide away from life. Call Kobren, talk to him about what you are feeling, he has a way of putting things into perspective that almost makes you feel better about being a part of all of this. I now that sounds crazy, but it’s true, it’s almost like hypnotherapy or something. I would tell your sister to go screw herself too!

Smile It will get easier but...

I know the pain and torment that baldness can cause. At 19 years of age and just starting college I was losing my hair. My father owned a business and all of his workers made fun of me and I was humiliated. I am now 44 years of age and have been botched by Doctors in the 1980's. I wore hairpieces from age 28 to 42. I have been undergoing successful corrective surgery by Dr Ray Woods in Australia. He is the only Dr. that has helped me. It will get easier for you but I must warn you that the scars that baldness causes are for a lifetime. I feel better now at 44 since Dr Woods has been helping me than I did at 20. However I lost all of my youth going through this. Psychologists did not really help, the Dr's MHR, Brandy, & NU Hart nearly ruined me. For 25 years now I have thought 24 hours a day about my hair. It will get better for you but being brutally honest it will leave a scar psychologically forever. My own father was 57 when he started wearing a hairpiece. I also have heard of people in their 80's having transplants. Hang in there though and do not give up. One last thing. The employees that laughed at me in 1984- My father sold the business - They lost their jobs and I got the money and invested in stocks and am now mostly retired at 44. It is Karma- What comes around goes around. Those people who laughed at you will have their turn to cry too. Believe it!!

geminidb8,

your story really touched me. I can't express how sorry I felt that you had to undergo 25 years of nonstop torment. I think I know that feeling you are going through. I remember when I first started losing my hair (a little over 2 years ago) and although it wasn't that bad or severely noticeable, I knew it was happening.

I couldn't believe the reality of it, and when I found a random forum online and it said there was no hope, I was devastated. I thought about nothing but hair loss and felt like I was going to lose my youth. That me being once a really attractive person will now completely change. That is the feeling I was facing, and I couldn't imagine that going on for the rest of my life.

But.... thank God I found hope and got on Finasteride and have stayed completely proactive about hairloss and do whatever it takes to get help. Thank God for good doctors and new innovative treatments that has helped me keep my hair. I only wish that you would have had that opportunity to stop your hairloss and then not grow up during the "plug" age.

Also, I do see some good in your situation. Even though you went through this terrible pain, I feel God has blessed you beyond measures. You have your hair back and you will have that appreciation, fulfillment, and reassurance of living with your real hair for the rest of your life that you would have never had if you didn't go through this hell. Sometimes going through something horrible makes you appreciate how valuable that thing is.

44 is not old and you said you seem to be well off. I say make these next 25 years fulfilling and enjoy your life to the fullest. Thank you for sharing your story and helping me appreciate more the opportunities I have today.

Destin

Smile Thanks for the Kind & Positive Advice

Hi Destin: I wish to thank you for your kind thoughts. I could not have said it better myself. I agree life is getting better each day. I too am on Propecia and it has really helped along with the corrective surgery. I hope for you and all hair loss sufferers that science and medical improvements continue and that God gives peace to all who suffer from the severe psychological issues with hair loss. Thanks again, Good luck and keep up the faith.

Faith? i prefer inner-strength, god is doing the smiting in this case, definitely not the healing lol. he smote me real good, in fact hes smiting the hair right off my head. though science may bring me back from this nightmare.

Default Have Faith in what you believe in

I understand your feelings. In 1987 I burnt the bible and cursed everyone including God. It got worse. Have faith in whatever or whomever you believe in but for me God gives and takes. Science can only go so far. I feel in a way that medical science ruined me in the 1980's by botched surgeries more than plain baldness. I think that there is truth in Samson & Delilah. I lost my strength to baldness and now am recovering slowly. In my case I prayed to God and my mom who died in 2002 ( She knew all about my depression and botched surgeries when she was alive) For me I found Dr Woods and it is getting better. Remember though the scars of baldness and bad surgeries are for a lifetime. But do whatever works for you. I am just happy that something positive is finally for me working. Best of luck to all.

FCK,

I am 22 and thin on top as well. My dad's entire side of the family is bald and I go between acceptance and denial that my hair is thinning out. I've spent countless hours looking on the internet for a solution which has only served to prolong the anxieties which I hoped to alleviate by finding ‘the cure’.

We're now a society which worships youth, good looks and material acquisition over wisdom, temperance and understanding of the human condition. Going bald is a huge anxiety for all human life walking the planet. I still see the sting in my dad and uncles eyes when they’re picked on for having no hair on their head. Of course they don’t base their entire worth on this planet based on the number of hairs on their head. A true man will not lose faith in life because of superficial problems. As I see it, going bald can either beat you down or it could serve as a character building experience in your life.

As for your sister FCK, that really unfortunate she can’t feel sympathy and bases your worth in such a superficial way. It’s necessary to have a trustworthy base of friends and family to help you out in hard times. That is what bald truth is about, correct? I think spencer kobren is a good man for creating this community and facilitating an honest discussion amidst all the snake oil and lies which pervade the treatment of hair loss. Buck up FCK, your not alone.. Im 22 and clearly balding. As long as you keep a good head on your shoulders, follow the golden rule you will learn to accept your fate.

I would like to thank all of you who replied to this thread.

I really was having a very low moment. I did end up going to the reunion, and had a great time. I did take the advice of some forum members who suggested methods of covering bald spots (e.g. Toppik). While such methods will not lower my already receded hairline, it did wonders for my crown area, and I think the most important thing is that I felt a lot more confident.

In any case, I am still learning to cope with balding, but I decided to not shut myself out from life. It really is a life long learning process.

i just turned 21. I feel your pain. Every last drop of it....
    Honestly i have views on Hairloss treatments that infuruate me. I mean think of it this way, why would we want to find a cure for hairloss? All the gimmicks and helping gadgets,procedures, pills and shit make this damn industry a multi billion industry. IF there is/was a Permanent fix for this thing then all the companies that own and market treatments would go down the drain. The doctors that specialize in doing transplants would be out of a job. It would be the worst day for anyone that profits from "Anti" hairloss products and procedures..... Just my view on how F*cked we, the victim of the disease, really are. We are all in the same boat man. Ive been losing my hair since i was 18, and idk wtf to do anymore.

Edit:
    Just really quick, you know whats worse than being bald in your 20's???
    .... Being in your 20's and being impotent lol.
    I sure as hell aint taking any chances with propecia.

that may be true to an extent, but there is still a FAT pot of gold waiting for the company that does cure baldness.