+ Reply to Thread

Default Have teens always suffered with MPB?

I'm seeing 16,17,18 year old guys here talking about how theyre NW3's etc. I'm wondering, has it always been like this? Or could it be a sign of modern health issues like radiation/processed foods?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisSucksDude View Post
    Or could it be a sign of modern health issues like radiation/processed foods?
    Confirmation bias. Once it affects you, you start to notice it in others: http://ay20-joanna.blogspot.co.uk/20...tion-bias.html

There is no evidence to suggest that "radiation" or "processed foods" affect MPB.

My father started to lose his hair at 17, it was in 1979. My grandfather started to lose his hair at 17, it was in 1954.

People don't lose their hair more and younger, there were as many young balding men in the previous generations.

Baldness is caused by DHT. Now, since Testosterone and DHT levels are the highest in your late teens and twenties, balding in that age makes perfect sense. I myself started balding when I was only 14.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThisSucksDude View Post
    I'm seeing 16,17,18 year old guys here talking about how theyre NW3's etc. I'm wondering, has it always been like this? Or could it be a sign of modern health issues like radiation/processed foods?
    Type "homeless men" in Google and hit images. Look at all the full heads of hair. Sometimes, lots of sun exposure and usually not the best diet. Hair loss is inherited, but...

The principles of epigenetics, the study of how the expression of heritable traits can be modified by environmental influences or other mechanisms without a change to the DNA sequence itself, is validated when you look at identical twin hair loss studies. The homeless guys with the full heads of hair indicate that excellent hair genes can be pretty much "bullet proof".

Look up "identical twin propecia". Also Dr. Bernstein has a great gallery of Propecia-only results that are pretty impressive.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Its a tiny subset of the population. Meaningless really to draw conclusions from it. I will say I get really sick of people playing the diet card for MPB. How do you know what percent MPB is genetic and how much is environmental and of that how much is tied to diet? I still have most of my hair and other people younger than me eat the same stuff and are much balder coincidentally they have strong family genes. I think MPB is like 95 percent genetically determined for you with nothing you can control. Other diseases are different but you cant lump them all together thats stupid
    Again how many homeless, athletes, men in prison have really good hair yet eat horrible diets or dont eat at all for days at a time? Its just not possible its diet. I think androgens and hormones fit much better as they change as you age naturally with no effort on your part. Also the difference between men and women with body hair and baldness all makes good sense.