+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I got better results with non FDA approved products but how?

Hi,

I've actually been receding and thinning at the crown for about 5 years now. I WAS probably a NW3V but have managed my crown issue. i've scoured the forums and haven't participated but have been reading. I've tried propecia, rogaine and read several ebooks. they helped maintain my then current status but I expected to get thicker hair. I also tried several alternative options that i've read up on. i've seen way more results with those than the FDA approved stuff.

I've worked several years in the canadian OTC (Over the counter drugs) industry and was wondering how the FDA goes about selecting and testing specific drugs for their respective purposes. My question is, why did the FDA choose minoxidil and finasteride to do clinical trials and not all the other alternative options? My guess is it's because those two actives are backed by large CPG/Pharma companies and the alternatives are just home remedies with no dollars behind them to fund/lobby for testing.

I'd love to get some confirmation/counters on my hypothesis based on my personal experience as someone that worked in the canadian OTC/Pharma industry (Health Canada has a way more stringent criteria before releasing products to the canadian market) for years and am coping with thinning and receding (getting better results with alternative products).

Everyone in the forums always shut down the suggestion of non fda products but i wonder if anyone actually knows why only two products have been approved.

Pictures please.

yeah sure. i just got a new phone. i dug through my emails to see if i can find some as i often send myself the photos as a log. i found the one of my receding line after 6 months of my regimen. i have some hairs that are now thicker and more visible in my frontal area. the crown is the biggest improvement. let me dig for those photos. it's on the sd card of my old phone.

How come i can't just upload/attach a picture? i need to use a hyperlink? Wow, the tech used for this forum is old school. I'm trying to upload a split image as my profile pic so you can see it but i can't even do that. I'm in the tech industry and can't seem to figure this out. maybe i'm a little slow today. is it because i'm a junior member?

Do you have any answers to my actual question about the FDA approval process/selection?

Because FDA approved products do work and were proven to work. And because all the rest is BS and garbage that doesn't do anything.

You'll never ever ever find legitimate before/after pictures who are the result of a non FDA approved product anywhere.

It's common sense, just saying.

ah stupid me. hold on. i found how to attach the pics

but that's an anecdotal response. I'm looking into the actual selection process of the FDA. How do they pick and choose which actives/products to test. They're a government branch that doesn't have endless funding to test just anything. could you imagine if they had to go about testing every submission that said they had the cure for the common cold? that alone could take up all of their resources. From my experience, the ones with the biggest $$ backing get priority in testing. It was also part of the marketing departments responsibility to make sure the FDA like approvals were done prior to launch FOR marketing purposes.

Default I call it my new hair island

6 months after my regimen. nonetheless, i'm looking for answers around the FDA selection process since everyone seems to negate alternative options
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140427_135216.jpg

Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	35367   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141002_104817.jpg

Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	35368  
    Last edited by akim83; 10-15-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: grammar

No before pictures. These are useless.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akim83 View Post
    but that's an anecdotal response. I'm looking into the actual selection process of the FDA. How do they pick and choose which actives/products to test. They're a government branch that doesn't have endless funding to test just anything. could you imagine if they had to go about testing every submission that said they had the cure for the common cold? that alone could take up all of their resources. From my experience, the ones with the biggest $$ backing get priority in testing. It was also part of the marketing departments responsibility to make sure the FDA like approvals were done prior to launch FOR marketing purposes.
    The FDA doesn't "pick" drugs they want the public to use, instead a company with a medical device or drug goes through a Clearance process or The FDA Approval process. Companies must be able to prove their device or drug is safe and can actually do what the applicant claims. Often at a very great expense to the company.

From the FDA Website

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    No before pictures. These are useless.
    Good evidence. I am sold.