Threaded View

Thumbs down Nobody wants to give me Propecia.

What's with Dermatologists only prescribing Propecia once you're obviously balding? I've lost a lot of density and would like to maintain what I have, not wait until I get a very noticeable bald spot and be told "Here, take this. You can keep what you've got."

Dermatologist one: Saw me for probably three minutes. Said "Alopecia Areata" and sent me on my way with a hydrocortisone cream that I've been using on the patchy areas of my beard.

At Bosley: The consultant guy suggested I get Propecia to maintain what I have, but when he called the doctor in, she said she saw no signs of baldness yet, despite my slightly receded left temple, my balding nape, and me telling her I've lost a lot of density on the top of my head.

Dermatologist two: Did a hair pull test and said that I was losing one hair a pull, which is normal. She claimed I was probably near the tail-end of a telogen effluvium, but that doesn't make sense because I've been losing a steady amount of hair for a few months at least. She said to come back if it gets worse.

I'm frustrated that it seems impossible to get a prescription when you've still got most of your hair. I don't want to wait until I get a bald spot to get on it, but it looks like I'll have to.

I posted these pics in another thread, but here they are again that show obvious hair loss.

Pre-shower:

Post-shower:

It's very slight so far but you can see my scalp through my hair a little bit in the second picture. They aren't 100% identical angles, but you get the idea.

I'm honestly shocked three doctors in a row missed my hair loss, including one (the one at Bosley) who'd I assume is a hair loss "expert."

I'm prone to having bouts of hypochondria, but it's seriously hard to imagine hair loss. I think these pictures speak for them self.

Even if they didn't think I had MPB, how do doctors not think anything of a balding nape?