+ Reply to Thread

Default Dutasteride and Side Effects (My Experience so far)

Hi guys,

I was on 1mg finasteride (Finpecia) for 2 and a half years - I never had any side effects, no shedding or anything. However, i've never noticed any progress - honestly, I don't think the medication has done anything to my hair.

Earlier this year I decided to try out Dutasteride. I ordered some Dr Reddy's Dutas from Inhouse Pharmacy and started taking them twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays).

I started experiencing an aching sensation in my breasts/nipples. This kinda worried me, because I'd read about gyno as a potential side effect. Anyway I continued taking the Dut, thinking the ache would go away. But after 3 months it didn't.

At this point I got spooked and dropped the Dut all together. I didn't want to risk getting gyno! I'm now back on fin, like before.

My question is - did I make the right decision, or should I give Dut another shot? 3 months of breast ache just seemed like too long - or is this normal?

Any advice would be very welcome - thanks in advance guys! I never felt worried when taking Fin, but Dut is a different beast all together. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by jackk View Post
    Hi guys,

I was on 1mg finasteride (Finpecia) for 2 and a half years - I never had any side effects, no shedding or anything. However, i've never noticed any progress - honestly, I don't think the medication has done anything to my hair.

Earlier this year I decided to try out Dutasteride. I ordered some Dr Reddy's Dutas from Inhouse Pharmacy and started taking them twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays).

I started experiencing an aching sensation in my breasts/nipples. This kinda worried me, because I'd read about gyno as a potential side effect. Anyway I continued taking the Dut, thinking the ache would go away. But after 3 months it didn't.

At this point I got spooked and dropped the Dut all together. I didn't want to risk getting gyno! I'm now back on fin, like before.

My question is - did I make the right decision, or should I give Dut another shot? 3 months of breast ache just seemed like too long - or is this normal?

Any advice would be very welcome - thanks in advance guys! I never felt worried when taking Fin, but Dut is a different beast all together. Thanks so much
    I was on fin for a year and it didn't do anything - didn't experience any side effects or make any progress. Have been on dut for 5 months now and the only side I've suffered from is tender nips. Unless there are long-term complications of gyno that I'm not aware of, I don't think a bit of nip pain should deter you from sticking with dut.

Cheers, Plan C. I'm not really talking nip pain, rather a ache deeper in the breast tissue. It's weird - I thought it would go away after a couple of weeks, but 3 months just freaked me out. And I'm not usually one for over-reacting to these things, I normally just ignore it and see it through.

How long did you have tender nips for buddy? (funny question, I know!)

And how has the 5 months on dut been for you - any progress?

I would up your exercise/fitness/nutrition etc, take a bit of zinc, and maybe try dut at a lower dose down the road. That is IF you don't think fin is doing enough.

It is worrisome that you got that burning sensation as it could be the early stages of gyno, so staying away from dut all together is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by jackk View Post
    Cheers, Plan C. I'm not really talking nip pain, rather a ache deeper in the breast tissue. It's weird - I thought it would go away after a couple of weeks, but 3 months just freaked me out. And I'm not usually one for over-reacting to these things, I normally just ignore it and see it through.

How long did you have tender nips for buddy? (funny question, I know!)

And how has the 5 months on dut been for you - any progress?
    To be honest, my issues with my nips have only begun recently, which coincides with a few changes I made to my regime. I'm therefore not convinced that dut is responsible, seeing as I've been on it for 5 months.

With regards to progress, I'm again not sure if dut has played a role; I started taking it the same week I began to use RU58841. My receding temples have slowed right down though.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan C View Post
    To be honest, my issues with my nips have only begun recently, which coincides with a few changes I made to my regime. I'm therefore not convinced that dut is responsible, seeing as I've been on it for 5 months.

With regards to progress, I'm again not sure if dut has played a role; I started taking it the same week I began to use RU58841. My receding temples have slowed right down though.

See this thread CPA is stronger:
    http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/m...&enterthread=y

@Dan26: Thanks for chipping in, much appreciated. I agree it's best to be cautious - something definitely wasn't feeling right and unless I hear from someone on here with similar experiences, I might just have to stay away. I'm also uneasy about the unknown risks of Dutasteride whilst trying to conceive (I'm not talking about right now, but I may want to try for a baby a couple of years down the line, who knows?).

@Plan C: Thanks mate. Glad to hear you've made some progress, one way or the other Strange about the nip thing at the 5 month mark though. Damn, why is everything so complicated?

@Jazz1: With respect, I was asking specifically about Dut, not CB. I wouldn't be able to take that anyway, seeing as it needs to be mixed with minox, which I can't use (because it gave me alopecia areata).

Did you notice a difference after 3 months in your hair with DUT?

FIN hasn't stopped my loss at all, I believe it halted it for the first year and now it just slows it down.

Finally going to try and get a prescription for DUT this week! How much did it cost you by the way?

I plan on only doing it once a week however(twice for the first 3 weeks) as it's half-life is something like 4 weeks so dont need to do it much more!

Hey rdawg.

You know it's hard to say if it made any difference to my hair in 3 months. That's not really long enough, to be honest. However, I'm reasonably sure it stabilized it a little - I mean, there weren't any hairs on my pillow in the morning. But it's just really hard to say. I took it twice a week.

It was roughly £25.00 ($45.00) for 30 gel caps from Inhouse. It is definitely a lot more expensive than FIN. I didn't need a prescription. Just watch yourself, buddy