+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Biofibre hair implants?

I saw an ad for Biofibre (or as the clinic called them, Biocompatible) hair implants, and at least on paper it seems a great solution – no scarring, little pain, you could theoretically implant a large number of hairs, quick return to work, etc.

The clinic that advertised this is called Clinic Lemanic (link), in Switzerland. A few photos there, but I don't know how much those can be trusted. They look pretty good, though.

However, I couldn't find a single (!) story online with user-posted before/after photos, and no reports from anyone who tried this treatment (except for a few 2nd or 3rd-hand horror stories, but I'm not sure if they're recent). Is it so very bad? Has anyone had this done and could share their story?

I looked at this, I saw a clinic in the uk where I am that is now offering this! Like you I foun a lot of horror stories from the 80's but I don't know what other countries are like but if it's being done in a uk clinic I imagine they have over come the infection/scarring issues from years gone by! Definatley worth doing some reasserch and asking to speak to/meet some customers! Im very tempted with it looking for something to save me having to put fibres in the crown everyday! Got a holiday coming up in six months or so with my family and I'm worried about going in the pool which is abit of a no no with concealed so I may see if I can try I temporarily whilst I'm ther and see how I get on!

I'm sure there will be lots f people who will advise against it die to previous problems

P.S. Just to note that the horror stories I read were not about this particular clinic, but about biofibre hair implants in general.

Joely, but isn't the fact that we have no 1st-hand accounts from recent years a bit suspicious in itself? Or possible it's just something that went under the radar, don't know.

I contacted the clinic, by the way. They were courteous and professional in their reply; their suggested procedure is a personal consultation, after which the implants are ordered – they are made on-demand – then implanting 800 hairs only over 3 days, followed by a break of 4 weeks, to let the skin adapt. Then in the second session 1200-1500 hairs can be implanted – they said increasing the number also increases the risk of rejection by the immune system. The slow-and-safe approach makes a positive impression, I think.

I will try asking them for before/after photos of patients they have treated (I don't imagine they'll give me a direct contact to somebody, as this is all probably done in confidentiality?).

I wouldn't say it was suspicious just more that people are avoiding it because of previous issues! Some clinics have customers who are happy to be contacted so it may be worth asking! Yeah slower approach is probably for the best I suppose it depends how advanced hair loss is and what results you are after! I have seen several threads about this started on several websites all of which no one can offer any personal experience with it

This is not a viable solution. Your body will just reject the fibres.

What i dont understand is , how come the body wont reject dental implants where somebody is having a titanium screw inserted in their body but
    may reject bio fibre hair implants. This just makes no sense to me somebody please comment .

I'd imagine the reason why the dental implants work is because the methods are wildly different. I believe dental implants are drilled into bone where as these hair fibers are required to bond to the skin.
    I suspect a few celebrities have gone down this path though.

I really do not know how to break it down into simpler terms although in my mind it seems pretty logical to me, perhaps someone else can jump in and come up with some sort of example or analogy.

@fred970 – have you read / heard any recent first-hand accounts in this regard? (This is not asked in an accusatory tone, I'm really trying to find some info). The clinic's representative said that 10-15% of the implanted hairs would be lost during the adaptation period, after which there's normally a 5% loss each year.

Slightly off-topic, but since dental implants were mentioned: nowadays doctors can grow bone tissue if needed for the implants. How crazy is that... And we still can't grow hairs (I know, I know, different stories).

Anywhere in London?