+ Reply to Thread

Default My HT doctor want me to take 1 000 000 mcg Biotin each day.

Hi,

I am doing my first HT in February and I just got an email from the clinic that they want me to start taking Biotin 1000 mg each day a month before the procedure.

First I thought they meant 1000 mcg (microgram), so I emailed them back to confirm that they wanted me to take 1000 mg (milligram) each day and they indeed confirmed.

Is this normal. Thats like 330000 times the recommended daily dosage for Biotin

Good catch. No, you shouldn't be taking that much and while the ceiling for how much can be ingested in unknown I think that what they confirmed is too much. I take 1000mcg per day myself so I can't imagine taking as much as 1000mg! I think maybe someone at the office got confused

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    Good catch. No, you shouldn't be taking that much and while the ceiling for how much can be ingested in unknown I think that what they confirmed is too much. I take 1000mcg per day myself so I can't imagine taking as much as 1000mg! I think maybe someone at the office got confused

This makes me scared about the whole thing. What if they asked me or anyone else. To take 1 g instead of 1 mg finasteride or even worse, take X g painkillers instead of X mg before the HT.

Maybe I am putting too much into this, but a medical clinic should know their units.

I can see why but it is most likely just an error on the part of the receptionist or someone that is not normally involved in the medical details. Do you know whom it was that you were speaking with? You should speak directly with the doctor to avoid any miscommunication. You can also ask him why he wants you to take Biotin one month before your surgery. I have never heard of a doctor requiring this before surgery.

It never hurts to go to a site like WebMD or others to search the medication or supplement and its warnings and side-effects for some guidance.

Then, if you still have concerns, ask the doctor "why" or the "purpose" of the high pre-op dosage and regimen.

It's your body and only you should make that final decision.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I have asked if the clinic rep. if he/she can ask Dr Hakan directly why he want me to take 1000 mg / 1 000 000 mcg of Biotin (300 000 times the daily recommended dosage)

It is probably the clinic rep that doesnt understand the difference between mg and mcg. The biggest tablet for Biotin I could find is 1000 mcg, meaning I would have to swallow 1000 pills each day if I am supposed to take 1000 mg

On the positive note, I probably wouldnt be very hungry for the rest of the day

Dr Hakan just confirmed that he actually want me to take 1000 mg of Biotin.
    I asked the rep if he could confirm with Dr Hakan that it was indeed 1000 mg and not 1000 mcg.

Code:
    We have confirmed that yes it 1000 mg. However, if you do not want to use it before the surgery you can skip it.
    After the surgery we will provide it anyway.
    All the best

I have to believe that this is still just a miscommunication and may be due to the language barrier. I think taking a reasonable amount is enough, 500 to 1000 mcg and just call it good. In the meantime maybe you should ask again and lay out the specific reason why you are asking, if you have not already that is.