Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thinn
    • Aug 2014

Can't tolerate finasteride, now what?

So I have finally admitted defeat with finasteride. It seems I am in the statistically unlucky few, because even 0.25mg 2-3x per week gives me pretty bad side effects. Luckily for me, the side effects always go away about 10 days after my last pill.

I would say I'm a nw 2-3 becoming 3v very fast. My goal was just to hold on to a decent amount of hair for 5-10 years so that I could have a transplant done once something with fewer side effects than finasteride came out. (A transplant seems pointless to me if i'm going to continue to lose a significant amount of 'native' hair.)

Is there anything else I can do, or should I just accept that I'm going to have to sport a cropped hairdo until (I should say if) hair cloning becomes a reality? I'm already using 5% minix twice a day and 2% ketoconazole 2-3x per week.

On a side note, I find it amazing that there isn't a topical anti-androgen with fewer systemic side effects than propecia. I'm sure propecia is great for those with no sides, but for me it feels like killing an ant with a sledgehammer.
  • Jazz1
    Inactive
    • Aug 2012

Email me bro jass897@hotmail.com, I had the same case when I started finesteride and now 3 years later I'm on 1mg 0 sides .

The key is making your body adjust and removing stress.

Comment

• joely
      • Sep 2011

You could try topical fin, or now a vehicle has been found for CB may be worth having a crack at that my good man

Comment

• Jazz1
        Inactive
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by joely
        You could try topical fin, or now a vehicle has been found for CB may be worth having a crack at that my good man
        That's what I used genhair topical spray every third day worked great with minimal sides.

Comment

• joely
          • Sep 2011

Can I ask out of curiosity how did you over come your fin sides I get mild sides but at the moment it's just about manageable if they get any worse I may have to knock it on the head

Comment

• Swooping
            • May 2014

Look into RU-58841, it is a topical anti androgen with (anecdotal) less side effects than finasteride. Educate yourself though , most can maintain with small doses. It doesn't influence hormonal levels

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Swooping
              Look into RU-58841, it is a topical anti androgen with (anecdotal) less side effects than finasteride.
              Are you using RU-58841? How is it working for you? How much regrowth have you had?

Comment

• Swooping
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                Are you using RU-58841? How is it working for you? How much regrowth have you had?
                Very good. I had much regrowth in combination with minoxidil. Even hairline regrowth I would say + 1 NW and much density increase and thickness.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Swooping
                  Very good. I had much regrowth in combination with minoxidil. Even hairline regrowth I would say + 1 NW and much density increase and thickness.
                  Oh ok. I here a lot of RU recommendations around this and other hair loss forums, but it usually comes from people that don't even use it. Also documented results are lacking. I have actually only seen one guy that may have had results on it. I'm glad you are getting some benefit from it. You wouldn't happen to have before and after pics would you?

Comment

• Swooping
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                    Oh ok. I here a lot of RU recommendations around this and other hair loss forums, but it usually comes from people that don't even use it. Also documented results are lacking. I have actually only seen one guy that may have had results on it. I'm glad you are getting some benefit from it. You wouldn't happen to have before and after pics would you?
                    There are some pictures with impressive results man. Just search for them. RU is arguably the best thing. Imo RU + DUT are the most effective and strongest. Can't post links you've got to find them yourself.

Mine;

Before

after

Got only pic of my temples, they are least impressive, the overall picture pre - after is a bigger difference. Btw mind that the first picture is already like 3 months on RU . It was even bit worse at baseline

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                      • Jun 2013

Damn good results!

Comment

• Thinn
                        • Aug 2014

Jazz1- I'd be interested to hear what you did, but I don't have high hopes since I can't even tolerate low doses twice a week. I'd also be interested to hear about topical fin - does it have less sides?

Swooping - How has RU58841 worked for you? I'm interested in trying this, but I can't find much info about any trials that have been done. At this point it seems like I'm going for hail marys, so I don't mind blowing a bit of money on something that doesn't work, but I'd like to at least know it's safe. I did read hellhouser's thread on this and I was really impressed with his results. At this point safety is my main concern with this one.

I also read the thread on CB0301 vehicle, and I read about this compound before. It sounds promising, and I like the fact that it's been through Phase 2 trials. I think if this actually worked it would be a godsend, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm actually a scientist at biopharma company, so I might see if Desmond is up for geeking out a bit with me to talk about the science of solubility/skin penetration before i tried this one.

So, my options are -

Topical fin (probably still will have sides)

RU - Sides? Safety?

CB0301 - Seems safe, little chance of sides (especially since it's already been through acne trials). Efficacy/penetration could be questionable, but probably worth a try.

Saw palmetto and anything non-androgen blocking, I'm not interested in. To be honest, I think the only way to really treat this is to address the androgen issue. Everything else is just window dressing.

Any more input anyone has would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...