+ Reply to Thread

Default 32 years old. Significant hair loss. Is it too late to do anything?

Hi to all -

I am new to the forum and would first like to thank anyone who even takes the initiative to open and read this post!

I have been losing my hair since about 19 years old. It wasn't really noticeable until around 21 or 22. Over the last 5 years, there has been significant loss.

I have done a little research and know a little about hair loss. My family has a history of prostate cancer so I have never attempted to take Propecia. Not sure if that was the right move for me or not as I believe the Dr. can monitor to see if Propecia has any affects on your prostate or not???

Anyway, I live a very busy and stressful life, but I love it. I enjoy being somewhat successful and stress just comes with part of that. I have always been ashamed of my hair loss but tend to look well wearing a hat so I haven't made my balding a priority. Until recently I have really been considering treatment or possibly even surgery.

For those of you with lots of experience....should I even attempt to go down this road or just throw my hands up and shave it off clean?? If i should attempt to regrow my hair, where should I start at this stage of the game??

Thanks for your time and consideration and I know this is the right place for the answers!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg

Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	35161Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg

Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	35162Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg

Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	35163Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg

Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	35164Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpg

Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	35165Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpg

Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	35166Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpg

Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	35167Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpg

Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	35168Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.jpg

Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	35169

hi there.... I am no expert by any means but just by judging your pictures it looks like you are are a Norwood VI or possibly a Norwood VII, which are the latest stages in that particular hair loss scale guide. I think they call it the classic "horseshoe" type hair loss caused by MPB (Male pattern baldness). Have your ever tried Rogaine or Propecia? Those are the only 2 FDA approved methods for fighting hair loss.

I don't want to discourage you but it looks like you may be past the point of regaining full coverage. However there is always the option of getting a hair transplant too. I have moderate hair loss on my crown and have considered just smooth shaving my head and growing a goatee.... Good luck!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trans95am View Post
    Hi to all -

For those of you with lots of experience....should I even attempt to go down this road or just throw my hands up and shave it off clean?? If i should attempt to regrow my hair, where should I start at this stage of the game??
    What does your father's and your mother's father's hair look like? Does their donor area look reasonably dense? It's difficult to make an accurate assessment of a donor from photos. If you prefer to wear your hair short, don't even think about FUT, AKA, strip. We have performed many hair transplant surgeries on men with your level of hair loss. Full coverage takes a lot of follicular units and when I say "full coverage", I'm referring to illusion of coverage. I believe it was Dr. Merritt who plucked hairs from a man's full head and determined that it's normally after you remove/lose 50% of your teenage hair that you begin to look thin. Avoiding scarring and a natural appearing result needs to be at the top of your list. You should also shave your head. You could really like the look. We had a patient a while back who opted for a shaven procedure. He looked great with his head shaved.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck