+ Reply to Thread

Default A friendly yet EXTREMELY important reminder

Hey guys,

While I have not posted about photos in a while some of you may remember that I am a stickler for how photos are taken and presented online. My points about this have usually been toward clinics.

However, after reviewing thousands of photos over the years I think it is time to address the #1 problem I see with photos that are sent in for consultation. Focus and clarity. Gentlemen, please remember why you are sending photos in to clinics for; surgical assessment.

1.) Do not use a camera phone. These are usually the worst of the worst when it comes to photos. If you cannot afford a 100.00 point & shoot digital camera then how do you expect to afford a cosmetic surgical procedure? This is an investment so it only makes sense to include proper documentation with a proper camera as part of that investment. And for heaven's sake do NOT EVER EVER EVER use a webcam.

2.) Make sure that you and your head are the focus of the photo and not the Britney Spears poster on the wall ten feet behind you or the Pepsi can on the desk. This may sound like an obvious requirement but you'd be surprised how many photos I see that are focused on everything EXCEPT the patient's hair.

3.) If your photos appear to be overexposed (cannot see actual skin tone but instead see WHITE BLUR) then you should take more photos.

4.) If you style your hair to hide the thinning or bald areas do NOT style your hair to hide the thinning or bald areas for your photos. You are trying to show what the problem areas are, not cover them up.

5.) If you have a specific area you wish to have addressed make sure that particular area is included in the series of photos you are sending.

6.) If you have had previous hair restoration surgery and you are showing your donor area for donor density assessment be sure to include a photo of the actual donor scar itself. This is imperative to show the clinic what they have to deal with.

7.) If you look at your photos and do not see the areas of thinning then the clinic you are sending the photos to most likely cannot see the thinning either. Style your hair for your photos in a manner that emphasizes the loss. Thin crown? Brush the hair away from it. Recessed temples? Ditto. General thinning on the top? Dampen your hair and brush it back.

8.) Learn about the timer feature on your camera. You do not necessarily have to hold your camera above and behind your head or at arm's length at a 90 degree angle to get a clear shot. The timer feature allows you to set the camera on a steady surface which allows you to pose. Learn it, use it.

9.) Focus, focus, focus.

10.) Do not send photos that could be mistaken for postage stamps. Clinics need to have images that are big enough to see.

This is most likely not all of the issues to consider. As I think of more I will edit and add to the above list. If any reader or clinic can add additional suggestions please do so and I will add it to the list above as well. I can tell you though that I send requests for additional and clear photos on an almost daily basis and the issues above are the most common issues I see.

Remember everyone. Look at your photos and ask yourself if you can see the problems that you see in the mirror. If you cannot then we cannot so take new photos till you get some that do reflect the issues as you see them.. We can only see what you can see so be sure your photos show all the problem areas, clearly and in focus. You are sending in photos for medical and surgical evaluation so it makes NO sense to skimp on photos. It can mean the difference between getting a fantastic result you will be proud of and being denied consideration outright.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I have been wanted to say that for some time now. Well done Jotronic. I have to say that you have always been straight up with your post and this one is right on the mark.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile