+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up First appointment with a dermatologist

Hey guys!

My first appointment with a dermatologist is coming up in two days and I was wondering if you guys had any advice/suggestions for anything I should ask or bring up? I have my own list of questions and concerns but I was wondering if there’s anything else that I might not have thought about bringing up?

I mainly have a receding hairline right now but I’m starting to shed a lot of hairs and I believe I’m following my older brother’s pattern of hairloss (receding hairline for 2-4 years then thinning on top). He’s three years older than me and I’m almost 19.

My main objective of this appointment is to get prescribed propecia so I can start the big three. I’ve started using Niz twice a week and I have a year supply of Rogaine but haven’t started using it yet. Should I get my blood tested or make any special requests?

Thanks

I did the same thing literally one month ago. First of all, don't be nervous. It's really easy to just say "hey, in the past year or so I've noticed my hair thinning a bit". He'll likely look at it and agree. Then he will most likely recommend Propecia. You don't want this. Tell him you've done your research and you know there is a 5mg version called Proscar that can be cut into 4ths. He will likely say he doesn't like doing it because of overdose. This is when you convince him that you obviously care more about your health then he does and that you just want to save money. Be assertive. That's how it went for me. He then prescribed the 5 mg version and I filled a 30 pill supply for $9 at Walmart. That's the equivalent to 120 days worth of Propecia for $9, without insurance too. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by IngloriousBastard View Post
    I did the same thing literally one month ago. First of all, don't be nervous. It's really easy to just say "hey, in the past year or so I've noticed my hair thinning a bit". He'll likely look at it and agree. Then he will most likely recommend Propecia. You don't want this. Tell him you've done your research and you know there is a 5mg version called Proscar that can be cut into 4ths. He will likely say he doesn't like doing it because of overdose. This is when you convince him that you obviously care more about your health then he does and that you just want to save money. Be assertive. That's how it went for me. He then prescribed the 5 mg version and I filled a 30 pill supply for $9 at Walmart. That's the equivalent to 120 days worth of Propecia for $9, without insurance too. Good luck.
    How much would propecia be with insurance? I don't mind using generic, but I have very good insurance and if I can get name brand for a reasonable price i'll take it!

That's the thing. Propecia is considered a cosmetic treatment, so there is almost no chance your insurance would cover it. That's why you want the off label 5mg prescription. In the US generics have to be the same thing, as regulated by the FDA. The generic Proscar is the best option, financially speaking.

That's the thing. Propecia is considered a cosmetic treatment, so there is almost no chance your insurance would cover it. That's why you want the off label 5mg prescription. In the US generics have to be the same thing, as regulated by the FDA. The generic Proscar is the best option, financially speaking.
    Okay i'll shoot for proscar. Is it a pain cutting it? I'll be doing it in 1mg doses so i'll have to cut it into 5ths will that be a problem? also, will insurance help cover proscar or no?

Insurance will most likely help with 5mg brand name Proscar, since there is a medical use for that drug (prostate issues). I cut mine into 4ths with a blue pill cutter/case I got at Walgreens. It's not hard at all. I think that's your best bet. Cutting into 5ths wouldn't be as easy.

Insurance will most likely help with 5mg brand name Proscar, since there is a medical use for that drug (prostate issues). I cut mine into 4ths with a blue pill cutter/case I got at Walgreens. It's not hard at all. I think that's your best bet. Cutting into 5ths wouldn't be as easy.
    so how is it taking 1.25mg?

Cutting into 5ths wouldn't be as easy.
    Using a pill cutter I cut mine into 4ths then lay them on their side so your cutting down on the white part so you could cut into 8ths. It's easier this way but I do hose mine up so usually it's cut into 6ths or 7ths if this ask makes sense. I would also ease into taking fin.

Google finasteride pregnant. There are warnings that's why it's best to avoid cutting the pills.

Best of luck.

If you're asking about sides, personally I'm one month in and haven't experienced any. You need to not think about this much if you start finasteride seeing as ED can be triggered mentally. If you read most of the actual studies, you will see that sides only occur in like 1.8% and are basically reversible. It's worth noting that the placebo had 1.3% with sides and that even though the finasteride group is higher, it could be due to mental issues thinking they'll occur. The mind is a powerful thing.