+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Im glad to hear that Chuck.
    Hopefully we can influence ,especially the YOUNG men here, to be focused more on their LIVES & their personal HAPPINESS , regardless of their hair's situation. By the way , happiness comes from WITHIN!
    Not due to how we are judged by others!
    I KNOW it can be a very hard thing to do,,but it can be DONE.
    Even though that man is 46 years old, he still could have been one to have kept his own life 'AT BAY' WAITING AND WAITING for a new revolutionary hair treatment or 'cure' to come to fruition (like a younger guy more than likely would)!
    There will be a day in which we will experience that BUT,,NO ONE knows when that will happen!!
    We cannot RUIN OUR own lives being in a waiting-phase of existence.
    If someone does not accept 'us' for what we are today,,then that someone is NOT WORTHY of 'our' time. Thats the TRUTH.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I have mentioned my Norwood 6 friend who shaves his head quite a few times here in the forum. He is about 46 and had a girlfriend in her early twenties. This guy meets women everywhere he goes. He flirts with women and is pretty overt. It can be at Home Depot, Starbucks or while he's on vacation somewhere. He really knows how to talk to women and has a positive self-confident personality.

Chuck
    I don't doubt a second what you say about your friend. But again, it is just an exception to the rule.

As a side note, I have more or less his age and .. baldness, but I would never approach (today) young girls in their early twenties, despite the fact that my physique is still that of a slender young man of their age and often people think that I am the big brother of my ... daughter. For me personally, it simply does not feel right. But, apparently, for other people it is OK.

Thanks Artista, I just wish I could gain back the time I spent worrying about this myself haha. We have to realize what's important and enjoy life, it really is too short.

I understand how some here may think that being bald is a death sentence, but it really does just vary on the person. Some look great shaved, most look good/normal. It's a socially acceptable thing and you never look as bad as you think you do. Either way, like Artista said we have to enjoy life with whatever were given.

I think if you can't accept a shaved head, go for a hair piece, they are amazing these days done right. Even if there isn't a 'cure' in my lifetime, with some of the progress they are making with hair pieces it may not even matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I understand how some here may think that being bald is a death sentence, but it really does just vary on the person. Some look great shaved, most look good/normal. It's a socially acceptable thing and you never look as bad as you think you do. Either way, like Artista said we have to enjoy life with whatever were given.

I think if you can't accept a shaved head, go for a hair piece, they are amazing these days done right. Even if there isn't a 'cure' in my lifetime, with some of the progress they are making with hair pieces it may not even matter!
    Too much delusion for one post. Most men look terrible with shaved heads, and it's far beyond from being socially acceptable. If that were the case, then this forum wouldn't exist. Balding men are well aware of the stigma that follows them, I mean, why else would they risk their health by taking a hormone altering pill that has a slew of side effects ? The only thing worse than being bald is being delusional. We live in a very shallow society, where you're judged and ranked solely on your appearance, followed by your personality and talents which come after you made it through the first hoop. If you don't make it through the first hoop, then none of that other crap matters. Being good looking is the biggest advantage one can have. There's nothing more valuable in today's society than your appearance, that's why having hair is so damn important. You're literally toying with your life when you're choosing whether you're going to treat your hair loss or not. Just ask yourself this: "Do I want to live a good life or not?"

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Island View Post
    Too much delusion for one post. Most men look terrible with shaved heads, and it's far beyond from being socially acceptable. If that were the case, then this forum wouldn't exist. Balding men are well aware of the stigma that follows them, I mean, why else would they risk their health by taking a hormone altering pill that has a slew of side effects ? The only thing worse than being bald is being delusional. We live in a very shallow society, where you're judged and ranked solely on your appearance, followed by your personality and talents which come after you made it through the first hoop. If you don't make it through the first hoop, then none of that other crap matters. Being good looking is the biggest advantage one can have. There's nothing more valuable in today's society than your appearance, that's why having hair is so damn important. You're literally toying with your life when you're choosing whether you're going to treat your hair loss or not. Just ask yourself this: "Do I want to live a good life or not?"
    I agree that most men look better with hair. Most women agree too, but a recent survey indicates that although women believe hair improves a man's looks, the shaved head to them appears more powerful, dominant and masculine. Losing hair is not nearly as crippling as losing an arm, leg or eyesight. I have a friend who is a Norwood 6, shaves his head and honestly doesn't care at all about his hair loss. He of course knows I work at Dr. Cole's office and has no interest whatsoever in doing anything about his hair loss. In a recent photo where he's next to his beautiful girlfriend, he tells me how much he hates the picture because it captured a wider than normal space between two of his teeth. He didn't mention a thing about his bald head. The reality is, hair loss bothers some men far more than it bothers others. I hated losing hair when I was young but it didn't bother my brother too much when he lost hair. He has shaved his head for years, has a steady girl and is doing fine. The only thing hair related worse than a bald head is a botched transplant job. Dr. Cole repairs a lot of those. As I type he's repairing substandard FUE work our patient had done in California. Third repair of this doctor's work we have done in the past couple of years.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Great response Chuck!

Id like to add on a recent life EXAMPLE for everyone to consider:

In the last few years-There is a great woman ARTIST , I believe in the Chicago-land area, who in earlier days has been relatively successful with her artwork.(very talented)
    At some point she LOST BOTH of her arms during some type of an accident!
    After her recovery time and then went back home, she could have very well fallen into major DEPRESSION & allowed her SADNESS to take over her life and ruin her.
    She DIDN'T!
    She found a way to LIVE HER LIFE and to ALSO be HAPPY in her life.
    She learned to paint and create her artwork again via the use of one of her feet!
    (she isn't the only artist to have learned to do that either)
    Instead of GIVING UP ON LIFE and career he MOVED FORWARD and made due with what she had available to her.
    By the way, her artwork is JUST AS GOOD as it was when she had her hands! Thats the truth.
    Most of US artist who were born with that natural art talent also have the innate abilities to create.

Now dont think that because she has a natural artistic talent, that she was able to overcome her loss!

She has moved forward ONLY BECAUSE she did NOT ALLOW sadness and depression to hold her back.
    She STAYED POSITIVE---remember this example guys! (and ladies!)

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Island View Post
    I understand what you are saying but I have to disagree about being "delusional". Looks are extremely important in our society unfortunately. Most people do look better with hair but being bald doesn't make you an outcast. I believe it depends on what kind of life you want to live. If you want to work hard and enjoy what is in this world NO ONE can say "no. You're bald." and stop you.
    If you wanted to travel the world, become skilled at something you enjoy, or make new friends, being bald WILL NOT change any of those things. If you want to be an obnoxious frat boy, screw 40 different women, and be the exact symbol of the judgemental society we hate then yeah, being bald might ruin your life.

Contrary to the belief on the forums, there are still good people, men and women, who don't care about hair or the lack of it. Those are generally the people worth being around and sometimes you have to look a little harder to find them.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I understand what you are saying but I have to disagree about being "delusional". Looks are extremely important in our society unfortunately. Most people do look better with hair but being bald doesn't make you an outcast. I believe it depends on what kind of life you want to live. If you want to work hard and enjoy what is in this world NO ONE can say "no. You're bald." and stop you.
    If you wanted to travel the world, become skilled at something you enjoy, or make new friends, being bald WILL NOT change any of those things. If you want to be an obnoxious frat boy, screw 40 different women, and be the exact symbol of the judgemental society we hate then yeah, being bald might ruin your life.

Contrary to the belief on the forums, there are still good people, men and women, who don't care about hair or the lack of it. Those are generally the people worth being around and sometimes you have to look a little harder to find them.
    I agree.

Chuck

Perception varies greatly when it comes to balding depending on your age and life experience. I won't say that Follicle Island, Kudu, 35years, Artista, or even myself are 100% right or wrong. I started losing my hair around the age of 22, but I was in a serious relationship at the time. I wasn't thinking OMG how am I going to pick up young women looking like an old guy. The main problem I had was looking like crap and dealing with an "old man's" problem. I also completed college and have received promotions at work while having a buzz cut and receding hairline, so I didn't experience any discrimination due to my hair loss.

Looking back though, I could only imagine how it would have been like to be a young norwood trying to meet the best looking women. Trying to compete with guys with a full head of hair. We might not like to admit it but looks are always important. They may not be a deal breaker as we age, but I think they are important to "get your foot in the door". If I look back to when I was in my late teens and twenties it was mostly about looks. Come to think of it, the GF I did get when I was young was mostly due to my looks as I had ZERO game. If I didn't have a girlfriend at that time and I had to be on the dating scene, who knows how I would have viewed the world if some stupid girl turned me down because of my hair. Same thing goes for promotions at work, what if I didn't get them?

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Perception varies greatly when it comes to balding depending on your age and life experience. I won't say that Follicle Island, Kudu, 35years, Artista, or even myself are 100% right or wrong. I started losing my hair around the age of 22, but I was in a serious relationship at the time. I wasn't thinking OMG how am I going to pick up young women looking like an old guy. The main problem I had was looking like crap and dealing with an "old man's" problem. I also completed college and have received promotions at work while having a buzz cut and receding hairline, so I didn't experience any discrimination due to my hair loss.

Looking back though, I could only imagine how it would have been like to be a young norwood trying to meet the best looking women. Trying to compete with guys with a full head of hair. We might not like to admit it but looks are always important. They may not be a deal breaker as we age, but I think they are important to "get your foot in the door". If I look back to when I was in my late teens and twenties it was mostly about looks. Come to think of it, the GF I did get when I was young was mostly due to my looks as I had ZERO game. If I didn't have a girlfriend at that time and I had to be on the dating scene, who knows how I would have viewed the world if some stupid girl turned me down because of my hair. Same thing goes for promotions at work, what if I didn't get them?
    Regarding the bolded part, I think this is one of the main reasons why younger people care so much more about hair loss than relatively older ones (it's hard to draw a line but let's say 35+). Granted, there will be "older" people that care about hair loss and occasionally there will be adolescents that don't care a lot about their hair loss, but I think it's true for most people.

For me personally this is one of the main reasons why I stress about future treatments taking a long time to come out. By the time they're available to the public, I'll be a lot older and it might be too late by then - not even hair loss wise, but by then I might have reached an age at which hair loss has become far less important than it used to be in my late teens and in my twenties.

That brings me to the following question to other young hair loss sufferers: Do you guys also think "I just want to keep a good head of hair until I am [insert age here], if I could do that it would be good enough for me" pretty often? It's pretty much the mentality I live by on a day to day basis regarding hair loss.