Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BDDFreak
    • Dec 2013

3D Printing skin ?

So I'm gonna let the experts here vet how likely this will get hair onto our heads lol.

"With serious burn victims, doctors typically must remove part of the patient's healthy skin and graft it onto the burned area. With PrintAlive, this painful step could be eliminated. The printed product includes hair follicles, sweat glands and other human skin complexities, providing an on-demand skin graft for burn victims.

Better yet, the machine uses the patient's own cells, which McAllister said 'would completely eliminate immunologic rejection, and the need for painful autografting and tissue donation.'"

While some of us are using the new power of 3D printers to make smartphone cases and chocolate figurines, two engineering students from the University of Toronto are using them to print functional human skin.
  • joachim
    • May 2014

there's already another thread for that topic.
    hellouser mentioned he will contact them as they are from Toronto.
    i think he received no answer or wasn't able to contact them.
    any updates, hellouser?

Comment

• burtandernie
      • Nov 2012

Its nifty the idea that one day if you have wrinkles or whatever skin problem that they might be able to give you new skin or merge new skin with your current skin somehow. Has lots of applications beyond just MPB but I still think all this magic stem cell stuff is decades away from ever being in mass use for average joe. Maybe longer then that

Comment

• HairIsLife
        • Aug 2014

Awesome, I'm sure the next generation will enjoy this.

Comment

• joachim
          • May 2014

hellouser, have you been able to get in touch with them?

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
            • Feb 2011

I was just reviewing old cutting edge threads lately and I think that this deserves a major bump since they were especially able to regrow hair. I just contacted the head professor of this study, asking for more info.

Comment

Working...