+ Reply to Thread

Default NW? Minox? Hair Style?

I am just wanting some opinions on what NW I am because I have no clue. I'm 24 years old and I just started using Finasteride 1.25 about a month ago. I was wondering if you guys thought I should add minoxidil as well and what hair style would best suit this? I have blond hair btw. Thanks for any input. The pics I attached are right after taking a shower so the hair is wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3106.jpg

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	35076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg

Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	35077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg

Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	35078  

Depending on your face/ head shape you would probably look better with short hair or a buzz cut. And I would recommend using minox as well. I would say NW 3

I'd say a NW 2 moving to a NW 3A. I'd add minoxidil because it is additive. My first line of treatment would be finasteride. Long hair combed down at this point will hide the loss. Best of luck. I hope the meds stop the progression.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    I'd say a NW 2 moving to a NW 3A. I'd add minoxidil because it is additive. My first line of treatment would be finasteride. Long hair combed down at this point will hide the loss. Best of luck. I hope the meds stop the progression.
    Dr. Cole, do you think a Norwood 7 like me, can get a transplant to help my appearance??? I love you no matter what you say Doc...

We have to take each case on an individual basis. The simple answer is that anyone can get a hair transplant, but what will it look like?

The facts are that only someone with a NW4 or less can achieve a full coverage with head hair alone. Even a NW 4 needs at least an average donor supply, however. A NW 5 who has a donor area much better than average can appear full, but not be totally full. Better quality hair makes you look like you have more hair even though you are not totally full.

A typical donor area consists of 203 square centimeters. We can often go outside this area if we feel the area will be permanent or at least last into your late 60s. A NW 5 usually has 150 to 180 sq cm of hair loss. A NW 7 will have 225 to 250 sq cm of hair loss. Thus, the only way to fill up a NW 7 is to use body hair and body hair works in only 25% of patients. Beard hair works in all, but it often is more coarse than scalp hair and far more curly so it does not look good in all individuals.

Thus, the key is to look at the donor area and see what a NW 7 has in mind. If the NW 7 can live with a higher hairline and we do a test to see how the body hair works, we can do a very good job. Remember that not all like the appearance of body hair and sometimes when something like chest hair is used, it does not grow with enough diameter to provide good coverage. Lower Leg hair often falls out later in life so I don't use much of this any more. Upper thigh hair lasts longer, but often is too fine to provide coverage. Sometimes it works well.

Some just want a little hair on top to style and add definition to their appearance. These individuals who are a NW 7 can do well.

Something can be done, but we really need to evaluate the situation carefully to make a determination. If you really want hair, we can look at it and try to come up with a plan. I wish it were easier, but the numbers are stacked against the NW 7. I don't encourage the NW7, but I know that appearance is important to everyone so we try to come up with a solution when possible. I guess this is a round about way to say, "maybe".

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    We have to take each case on an individual basis. The simple answer is that anyone can get a hair transplant, but what will it look like?

The facts are that only someone with a NW4 or less can achieve a full coverage with head hair alone. Even a NW 4 needs at least an average donor supply, however. A NW 5 who has a donor area much better than average can appear full, but not be totally full. Better quality hair makes you look like you have more hair even though you are not totally full.

A typical donor area consists of 203 square centimeters. We can often go outside this area if we feel the area will be permanent or at least last into your late 60s. A NW 5 usually has 150 to 180 sq cm of hair loss. A NW 7 will have 225 to 250 sq cm of hair loss. Thus, the only way to fill up a NW 7 is to use body hair and body hair works in only 25% of patients. Beard hair works in all, but it often is more coarse than scalp hair and far more curly so it does not look good in all individuals.

Thus, the key is to look at the donor area and see what a NW 7 has in mind. If the NW 7 can live with a higher hairline and we do a test to see how the body hair works, we can do a very good job. Remember that not all like the appearance of body hair and sometimes when something like chest hair is used, it does not grow with enough diameter to provide good coverage. Lower Leg hair often falls out later in life so I don't use much of this any more. Upper thigh hair lasts longer, but often is too fine to provide coverage. Sometimes it works well.

Some just want a little hair on top to style and add definition to their appearance. These individuals who are a NW 7 can do well.

Something can be done, but we really need to evaluate the situation carefully to make a determination. If you really want hair, we can look at it and try to come up with a plan. I wish it were easier, but the numbers are stacked against the NW 7. I don't encourage the NW7, but I know that appearance is important to everyone so we try to come up with a solution when possible. I guess this is a round about way to say, "maybe".
    Thank you for your input Dr. Cole. You are a kind soul for taking the time to answer a layman like myself. I wish you lots of continued success!

I find that hair transplant doctors speak way too little of SMP.

It is my opinion that at least for dark haired folks, SMP, used in concert with a high quality hair transplant, can help greatly in making the limited donor area go much farther.

For instance, an NW 5 who might not have been able to get a totally full look like NW3s or NW4s can, with the added benefit of SMP, in fact get that look, because with a darker scalp, you minimize the contrast and therefore you need less hair to achieve the full look.

Hair transplant doctors need to make this hybrid approach more common in their practices, especially for dark haired people.