+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Rate of Technological Advancements

I know many of us here are hoping for a cure tomorrow, or yesterday or 10 years ago.

Technological advances are usually incremental, until something revolutionary happens.

In the grand scheme of human history we've come a long way in 60 years, when hair transplants first started in the US. First strip methods, then FUE, now robotic-assisted FUE... I expected with better and better cameras and advances in robotics, FUE will be get better, safer and cheaper.

Of course the advances on most things are incremental, but every once in a while a huge innovation occurs. The problem is, its hard to predict from the outset which innovations are incremental and which are path defining.

I have a Ph.D. and am actively engaged in many research projects. I love them all and I think they are all worthwhile. But sometimes they don't pan out. Sometimes they do.

So as hard as it is, we need patience. Relatively to other procedures, hair tranplants need a lot of time. For a new surgical procedure, you can often gauge success in days (are they dead or not). We need at the minimum 6 months to know anything about growth, and possibly a year or two, and eventually we need 5 years to assess long term effects.

Lots of stuff won't pan out. Sometimes it will seem likely progress has stalled (because it has) but stuff will keep moving forward. In the meantime, hit the gym, get in shape, and be healthy so we can be healthy and active enough to enjoy advances as the come out.

Great, all this information almost made this thread worth clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by clarence View Post
    Great, all this information almost made this thread worth clicking.
    9000 crybaby threads from people with absolutely no clue or a ph.d giving insight to the nature of research along with a positive attitude.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awesome0 View Post

I have a Ph.D. and am actively engaged in many research projects.
    We had a researcher/patient in a few weeks ago who mentioned that he had access to the budgets for various types of medical research. He said he was surprised because a lot more money goes into hair loss/growth research than he expected.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    We had a researcher/patient in a few weeks ago who mentioned that he had access to the budgets for various types of medical research. He said he was surprised because a lot more money goes into hair loss/growth research than he expected.
    Dude probably expected ZERO. I'd be shocked too.

Great thread, worth clicking !

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Great thread, worth clicking !
    Yup. Bookmarked. Will read again later.

I think a large majority of our problem is that people are content with what we have. When you go out on the street and you ask someone, what can a bald guy do about his hair loss ? 95% of people would probably say "He could just get a hair transplant and use Rogaine, Duh !"

Any person who isn't actually experiencing hair loss themselves don't know about our limitations. It boils my blood when I read comments where people say "If I go bald I'm just going to get a hair transplant." I'm sure that most of the general population thinks bald men are bald because they're just too lazy or cheap to do something about it.

Hair transplants revolutionized the hair loss industry, there's no doubt about it, but I fear that people are too content with what we have to actually want more. I figure the users on this forum only make up less than a percent of hair loss sufferers worldwide. We're a very small minority, and for that reason, things will likely not change from the way they are right now for who knows how long.

Non-hair loss suffers don't care, and why would they. Others probably don't have noticeable hair loss until middle age or older. By then they are married, have children, careers, and other priorities beyond spending thousands on a cosmetic procedure. Many people in general also let themselves go whether it be aesthetics or even health. Those who care will always be a minority.

It doesn't help that hair loss research seems to be focused on creating new follicles. Why not address the problem directly and revive existing miniaturized hairs? I will probably being drawing Social Security before they have a solution at this pace.

Quote Originally Posted by macbeth81 View Post
    It doesn't help that hair loss research seems to be focused on creating new follicles. Why not address the problem directly and revive existing miniaturized hairs?
    That's what RepliCel is doing, though the problem still stands with the revived miniaturized hairs; they're still susceptible to our hormones, which doesn't really solve anything. We bring them back to life only for them to shrink once again. With brand new bioengineered follicles, we won't have to worry about the effects of DHT and miniaturization.