+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HairIsLife View Post
    So what's the goal here anyway ? Raise x amount of money for who ? You're the one that cautioned me on crowd funding because there's no promise on what happens with the money, that alone will scare off 90% of people. It's like funding Desmond to go to WCHR again, except this time once he gets the money, he can choose to go or to stay at home and keep the money. How many people do you think would have thrown money into the pot knowing that ?

There's no guarantee of anything. You guys need a promise from someone that x amount of money will bring a better treatment than Finasteride or an all out cure. Without that, it's just a shot in the dark. Either or, I don't see it kicking off, especially with the amateurs that are running it.
    I've addressed that a number of times as did Axwell on ***... the money should be an incentive for research teams to get off their incompetent asses and produce an actual solution. If they can show a treatment/cure, they get the funds... if not, they can piss off. The trick is: how do we go about doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeDuck View Post
    Hey. Long time lurker, first time writer. So, there is a website called kickstarter.com. Its a website where people post an idea or invention they would like to make but need money to start it. From what I hear, there are just tons of people coughing up money to the projects that peak their interest.
    Kickstarter won't work, it doesnt allow health related initiatives. It would probably need to be IndieGoGo

I read a bit of what you wrote about the MPB Foundation and how you wanted to appeal to women too. You need a video with testimonials from people explaining how hairloss has ruined their lives or why they want to put an end to it. Of course that would be difficult to travel around and do, so maybe people could film themselves with their webcams in blogger fashion. Then there is a narrator talking about what the Foundation is working toward and what it needs. This would definitely create a following. Also it needs to take on a different tone. For someone (a non sufferer) watching the video, women losing their hair is sad. When discussing the men, it would need a light hearted feel. Not too serious for fear of being goofy to the viewer. I work in film and video so I'd be happy to cut something together.
    Yup, a viral video and a documentary piece like you mention are vital. Everything has to be in place. I think your suggestion is rather a supplement, but as Hairislife mentioned, we need a viral campaign to really kick things off.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    If they can show a treatment/cure, they get the funds... if not, they can piss off.
    They can piss off ? Let's not forget that we're at their mercy, not the other way around. As we both know, they don't give a shit about us, not to mention, most research teams already know that there's a pot of gold waiting for them at the finish line. Anyway, we'll see what happens with this site. You guys would need to make a minimum of a million or so if you want any research groups to take you seriously.

They can piss off ? Let's not forget that we're at their mercy, not the other way around. As we both know, they don't give a shit about us, not to mention, most research teams already know that there's a pot of gold waiting for them at the finish line. Anyway, we'll see what happens with this site. You guys would need to make a minimum of a million or so if you want any research groups to take you seriously.
    And that's exactly what needs to be reversed; they need to be at OUR mercy. Want lots of money? Show a solution. Create a rat race between all the research teams.

What if the funding doesn't fund research teams? What about a new website devoted to finding the cure? It's headed up by not a team of scientists, but a team of people devoted to the cause and who truly care. (Lets say people like Hellouser) It seems like you know a lot about future prospects but imagine if you had the funding to uncover exactly why certain cures aren't available and expose all dead ends. If you had the backing to go places and ask questions. On this site you could have videos and pictures of your findings and interviews with professionals. People in these forums would love to SEE, not just read about, where we stand in this battle. People would stand behind a cause like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    And that's exactly what needs to be reversed; they need to be at OUR mercy. Want lots of money? Show a solution. Create a rat race between all the research teams.
    Not going to happen, most researchers work out of university's where funding isn't usually an issue. It's just the site, it's got amateur written all over it. He made it and then launched it without anyone knowing and then there you are correcting him on every single thing. Like I mean, if we're looking to raise millions of dollars for hair loss research, we need a professional site, much like RepliCel has.

I don't see it making any more than 5k and that's being generous. Who's going to fund this campaign anyway ? Most men who lose hair are 35+ when it doesn't really matter too much to them, so it's unlikely we're going to get help from the majority of male hair loss sufferers, then the other half of men that don't suffer from hair loss, well, we can forget about them. All that's left is the females, which is what like 3/10 females that suffer from hair loss ? What age ? Probably middle age when they're pretty much dead. The guys who are losing hair early (15-30) aren't even established in life, they won't have much money to throw in the pot. I mean this shit just isn't going to work. Shut it down and maybe rethink it all over again. This is exactly what we would need - http://rethinkbreastcancer.com/

What if the funding doesn't fund research teams?
    How do you suppose we find a cure without the help of scientists ?

Not going to happen, most researchers work out of university's where funding isn't usually an issue. It's just the site, it's got amateur written all over it. He made it and then launched it without anyone knowing and then there you are correcting him on every single thing. Like I mean, if we're looking to raise millions of dollars for hair loss research, we need a professional site, much like RepliCel has.

I don't see it making any more than 5k and that's being generous. Who's going to fund this campaign anyway ? Most men who lose hair are 35+ when it doesn't really matter too much to them, so it's unlikely we're going to get help from the majority of male hair loss sufferers, then the other half of men that don't suffer from hair loss, well, we can forget about them. All that's left is the females, which is what like 3/10 females that suffer from hair loss ? What age ? Probably middle age when they're pretty much dead. The guys who are losing hair early (15-30) aren't even established in life, they won't have much money to throw in the pot. I mean this shit just isn't going to work. Shut it down and maybe rethink it all over again.

How do you suppose we find a cure without the help of scientists ?
    At least they are doing something rather sitting here like you and speaking on behalf of people of other age groups and gender. Plus the site is not even fully developed, it was just an adhoc thing just to get the ball rolling. I mean okay you might be right or even wrong, but at least they want to do something about it rather than just sitting on a forum and whine all day like you. No matter what happens , those people have my respect for trying to do something and it might even become something big. To quote Gandhi-First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Have a good day!

Scientist are already working on it. There is no way we could make enough money to pay scientists. They are heavily funded and most likely need no more money. The new site could be used as a way for them to gain notoriety. And as a way to have questions answered for example "What can we do to get CB-03-01, with the right vehicle, on shelves in a year?" People say it will be out in a few years. Then maybe that turns into a couple more. This site could possibly fund some scientific research, but I think people would pay for answers too.

Scientist are already working on it. There is no way we could make enough money to pay scientists. They are heavily funded and most likely need no more money.
    Yeap. In other words, we're sitting ducks.

Scientist are already working on it. There is no way we could make enough money to pay scientists. They are heavily funded and most likely need no more money. The new site could be used as a way for them to gain notoriety. And as a way to have questions answered for example "What can we do to get CB-03-01, with the right vehicle, on shelves in a year?" People say it will be out in a few years. Then maybe that turns into a couple more. This site could possibly fund some scientific research, but I think people would pay for answers too.
    I will not contribute one penny to any fundraising effort unless the effort is to open a Clinic that sells AAPE. Period.

The scientists who are working on cell-based ideas are already well-funded. They don't need our money. They'll take it but they don't need it. AAPE is the most promising near term treatment that we could possibly get soon and I will contribute to that effort but that is all I am willing to contribute to. Raising money for any other hair related reason is weak and foolish.

Raising money to give to researchers who do not need your money reminds of a scene in the movie "The Midnight Express" which I just saw on DVD last week at a friend's house. An American guy named Billy Hayes is a prisoner in a Turkish prison. He got caught trying to smuggle hashish out of Turkey. He's been in prison for years. His American girlfriend came from America to visit him and she smuggled some hundred dollar bills to Billy during visiting hours. Billy is so beaten down by this point in the movie that he's become senseless and foolish like a baby. He is so weak and babyish that he will try to get out of prison by way of foolish ideas that a sensible strong person would realize would not work. Billy goes to one of the worse prison guards and offers him the hundred dollar bills as a bribe to let Billy escape. Billy is waving the money in the prison guard's face and saying, Please! Please!" Of course the prison guard takes the money but does nothing to help Billy Hayes escape. As a matter of fact, he takes the money and then he hurts Billy. Shortly thereafter Billy does luckily escape but when he was offering the guard the money saying "please please!" he looked like a simpering fool because it was a bad idea.

You guys just want to throw your money at researchers because it will make you feel like you are doing something...like you are getting something done. But unless you put the money into opening up an AAPE clinic you won't be accomplishing anything. Researchers will take your money and laugh and act all serious like they are doing important things with your money. But they would have already done those things anyway because they are already funded to do those things.

Do you guys understand that you guys are talking about pooling a bunch of money so you can take a wad of cash to researchers and then say to them, "please please!" but it's so senseless and weak because the researchers you want to fund are already funded and they're already intensely focused on finding out how to grow hair, and your money isn't going to speed things up by even one day unless it goes to opening an AAPE clinic.