+ Reply to Thread

Default Finally out of denial stage - Need Advice

Situation:
    I'm 33 yrs old and I've been slowly losing hair since I was in my 20's.
    I have general hair loss over the entire top of my head with concentrated hair loss around the Vertex-Stage 3 and Anterior-Stage 2.
    (Father was Stage 7 by the age of 28)
    My hair loss has accelerated the past year, which has not helped my confidence when I go out to meet people.
    Not sure if exercising contributed to it, but I shedded about 20lbs in 6 months, currently trying to lose about 10 more lbs to reach my goal weight.

Treatment History:
    Rogaine - Dedicated user for past 6 months
    I used on and off for the past 4 years, doesn't seem to really help, but when I stop, the hair falls out faster. Never saw much of a difference, but I continue for my mental sanity's sake.

Propecia - Just started this week.
    I tried it 5 years ago for a day or two, but stopped b/c I didn't feel good after taking it. Could have been me over-reacting.
    But desperate times call for desperate measures, so I'm dedicated to it now.

DermMatch - Just started using DermMatch.
    Seems to hide the spot pretty well. Gives me more confidence, but I'm in fear that someone will find out.

Other Products - I tried other products to no avail. Currently using some polarity device that sends current through scalp after applying their topical formula on my head. I feel my scalp activated, but I'm pretty skeptical of it, but my mom purchased it for me so I figure I'll use it until I run out of the solution. Her friends swear by it and had visible hair growth.

Questions:
    1) Rogaine vs. Dr.Lee's products
    I read that his products are like Minoxidyl plus other things to increase the efficacy? Such as Retin A? Can someone verify their own experiences? I'm willing to go with a stronger topical product if it works.

2) Propecia's efficacy and dependency
    a) About when do most people see some regrowth, if at any?

b) Will I have to take it for the rest of my life? Even if I get FUE done?

3) FUE Surgery
    a) Is this the top surgical procedure out there?

b) If FUE surgery is the best, then what is the costs of FUE Surgery?
    I see prices that range from like $2000 to $10,000 for 2000 grafts.
    I'm guessing I'll need probably at least 2 surgeries as my hair continues to shed.

c) Will I have to continue taking medications (Propecia) if I get FUE done?

d) How long to see the results of the surgery?

Conclusion
    I'm 33, starting a new career, single and trying to meet women...
    My visible hair loss is killing my confidence.
    not sure I can afford to wait and see if the Propecia will bring back my hair.
    DermMatch can hide it in the meantime.

Ideally, I don't want to have to take any internal medication permanently.
    If it's not too expensive, I'm wondering if I should just go the distance and get the surgery done now.

I'd appreciate to hear people's thoughts on my questions and also whether they just went straight to surgery or tried everything else first.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You are doing the right thing by researching and exploring all of your options.
    I will try to answer the questions you asked in your recent post. There are many doctors who feel that the combination of Minoxidil with other ingredients such as Retin A is more effective than Minoxidil alone. There are also compounding pharmacies that offer stronger (10%-15%) Minoxidil solutions. If you are going to see any regrowth from Propecia it would be between 6-12 months. It is really geared towards hair loss prevention, not regrowth. It would be used indefinitely, or at least until something better comes along. Even if you get FUE or FUT. The choice between FUE and FUT really depends on your donor quality, the amount of hair loss you have, and your expectations. The result from the surgery start at 4-4 months, but usually takes between 10-15 months to get the final result. I wish you luck in your quest for knowledge.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Skeptic1st

Chambo, save your money and go get strip surgery done. Its the least expensive and its permanant. I waited till I was 38, but finally I had it done. I decided not to waist my money on the hair drugs after considering the recurring debt they cause you the rest of your life. I may need to get a second procedure done at some time later, but Im happy with where Im at now and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg. If you have a lot of hair loss, dont go with the FUE.

Thanks for the advice Skeptic1st. If you don't mind me asking, who did you go to for your strip surgery? I live in NYC and can always drive to where ever in the tri-state area.
    And can I assume you're not even taking propecia to stop the rest of your hair from falling out?

Skeptic1st

Quote Originally Posted by chambo View Post
    Thanks for the advice Skeptic1st. If you don't mind me asking, who did you go to for your strip surgery? I live in NYC and can always drive to where ever in the tri-state area.
    And can I assume you're not even taking propecia to stop the rest of your hair from falling out?
    Dr Pistone in Marlton NJ did my procedure. I spoke with Dr Feller up your way and a few other Doctors in the area,but I finally settled with Pistone partly because of convenience and cost.
    Im not taking propecia or anything else on the side because my native hair seems to be holding up pretty good. I see it as more of a risk than anything else to mess with the hair drugs. I would rather just have another strip surgery procedure if my native hair loss continues,but Im in no hurry for that.