+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Did you fear balding before it actually happened to you ?

Before your hair loss started, did you ever stare around at a family get-together and notice other balding men in your family or even just other balding men you see in everyday life, and say "shit, I hope that never happens to me" or did MPB just hit you out of nowhere completely unexpected ?

The reason I ask this is for me personally, I was completely oblivious to the fact that I could lose my hair. Even though my dad lost all his hair early, I never once actually thought that it could ever happen to me. I never even feared it because I just didn't believe it was possible. I cherished my hair, had it cut every 2 weeks, new styles etc. You couldn't catch me without my hair done. Little did I know, MPB strikes unfairly, and I say that because I see so many men each day with thick mops of hair, uncut, hasn't been washed in a week etc. and they just slap a hat over it and forget all about it, then you have guys like us who are dying just to save each and every last hair.

Anyway, my point is that I stupidly believed that if you took care of your hair and loved it enough, it would always be there with you, much like brushing your teeth everyday or exercising. If you do the work, you're bound to reap the benefits. Well, that's where I lost all hope in humanity. I was devastated to learn that when I was about 19-20, my hair was packing its bags and heading south, I didn't believe it though, I refused to believe it. Whenever you would ask someone what first comes to mind when you think of me, 9/10 people would have said my hair, I was known for it and it was my identity. Now that I look back, I think the worst part about this whole experience was the fact that it just came out of nowhere. It's not like I knew when I was 15 that I should enjoy the haircuts while I can because they're not going to be around forever. I had no idea what was coming, and I think that's the worst part of this experience. So, back to my question, did you expect hair loss to come your way, or did it hit you out of nowhere and send you in a state of denial ?

Yesterday, out of curiosity, I submitted my photo to HIS hair clinic so that they can modify it with SMP. Guess what, I look way worse in that picture than I look now. Although, the reason could be that they put my hairline lower than where I would want that to be. So, I guess, baldness actually suits me . Bald = masculine and cool!

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Bald = masculine and cool!
    Sure it does, you keep telling yourself that.

Quote Originally Posted by notcoolanymore View Post
    sure it does, you keep telling yourself that.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Sure it does, you keep telling yourself that.
    Its called, being comfortable in your own skin .

I feared baldness since i was a small
    child but like you i thought it wasnt possible until i was much older. It hit me and my life collapsed after that

My dad started balding when he was mid 40's, so I knew there was a chance I might have the same faith at the same age. I was however in utter shock when I realized I was going bald in my (early) mid 20's.
    I had a lot of stupid misconceptions about baldness before that. I always figured going bald was something that only happened at on older age (after 40), like the falling of the leafs. I always figured young bald guys were either bald by choice, had some kind of disease (like alopecia areata) or I just estimated them a lot older. But male pattern baldness in your teenage years or 20's? That's just silly!
    The thing that also caught me by surprise was the fact that I was a diffuse thinner. My dad started balding at the back of his head (crown) and I had heard of receding hairlines, but I never was aware of something like diffuse thinning. It was already when I was in my last year of high school that I noticed that my hair was gradually getting a thinner more 'strawy' texture, but it never occurred to me I was getting bald until the thinner hair started to reveal bald patches at the left side of my head 5 years later.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showth...527&highlight=

However, I never had any negative or bad opinions about bald guys. I didn't think they looked ugly or ever thought myself as superior (the way FlightTL describes it). I even once laughed at a friend of mine who said he always wore his cap because he was bald. I didn't understand it, because I thought he looked fine and I always knew him like that.
    The irony is, I only started to form negative thoughts and became self aware about baldness once I started going bald myself.

Double post, disregard..

I never feared it, and never looked down upon bald/balding guys.. I was also known for my thick mop, so it was a bit of an identity crisis when it struck at the age of 19! Some of my friends were struck by a bit of karma in my eyes. They used to comment on and make fun of guys balding and having little hair; today they are barely holding on to their strands...

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Bald = masculine and cool!
    LOL I can't believe how delusional you are. You're on a hair loss forum FFS. If you actually believed half the shit you posted, you wouldn't be here. Bald is only "masculine and cool" when it's by choice, not when you're forced to shave your head because of your bad genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    However, I never had any negative or bad opinions about bald guys.
    I never did either.. until I started to lose my hair. I developed a natural hate for bald men that have kids, because I feel that people like them are the ones responsible for our suffering. Bald men who have kids are selfish, they make careless decisions without even thinking about the hell that they're going to send their kids through. Luckily, this generation is probably going to be the last to deal with this shit, but that just makes it all that much worse for this generation. Not only do we have to suffer with hair loss during a time when looks mean so much, but we also get to enjoy seeing all these new treatments that are being developed for the NEXT generation. How wonderful is that.