+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Don't Mean to be Rude

Ok first off I'd like to say, as far as attitude, I'm a generally positive guy and try to post positive as well in this forum. I've made a few posts and comments about my dealing with baldness. Luckily, no one I've encountered has had anything negative to say about my bald ass head and I'm learning not to give a shit. Now this is where it gets complicated-- while I'm ok with being bald, I still adore the idea of a full head of hair, so I check this forum nearly every day in hopes of new discoveries. I used to get upset when there was nothing new, now if there is- great, if there's not- screw it. With that being said, I don't want to sound like the asshole here and PLEASE someone tell me I'm not alone... But am I the only one who's going to be kind of pissed if they completely cure Alopecia Areata and not MPB?? I feel like such a dick for thinking this way! I can't help it though, while I do feel sorry for those with AA, the only difference is ours is in a pattern. Either way man, woman, black, white, AA, AGA, hair loss is hair loss. If they get a full blown cure why can't we? It's kind of like the old saying in school, if you can't bring enough candy for everyone don't bring any at all. Lol.. But anyway, yeah, kinda chaps my ass a little. I'm still proud that they can get a cure but I must admit I'm jealous. Am I alone in this thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWillis View Post
    But am I the only one who's going to be kind of pissed if they completely cure Alopecia Areata and not MPB??
    If? They already did...ruxolitinib and tofacitinib work for AA.

I feel like such a dick for thinking this way! I can't help it though, while I do feel sorry for those with AA, the only difference is ours is in a pattern. Either way man, woman, black, white, AA, AGA, hair loss is hair loss. If they get a full blown cure why can't we? It's kind of like the old saying in school, if you can't bring enough candy for everyone don't bring any at all. Lol.. But anyway, yeah, kinda chaps my ass a little. I'm still proud that they can get a cure but I must admit I'm jealous. Am I alone in this thinking?
    No, you're not a dick for thinking this way. The real dicks are the doctors who didn't even bother trying tofacitinib or ruxolitinib on Male Pattern Baldness. It's amazing how little has been done for MPB considering it makes up like 99% of the cases for all hair loss types.

So no, you're not alone... all of us are frustrated, some more than others, and rightfully so; we've been given the shaft in life and the joke continues to be on us with the lack of any solutions for so many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWillis View Post
    Ok first off I'd like to say, as far as attitude, I'm a generally positive guy and try to post positive as well in this forum. I've made a few posts and comments about my dealing with baldness. Luckily, no one I've encountered has had anything negative to say about my bald ass head and I'm learning not to give a shit. Now this is where it gets complicated-- while I'm ok with being bald, I still adore the idea of a full head of hair, so I check this forum nearly every day in hopes of new discoveries. I used to get upset when there was nothing new, now if there is- great, if there's not- screw it. With that being said, I don't want to sound like the asshole here and PLEASE someone tell me I'm not alone... But am I the only one who's going to be kind of pissed if they completely cure Alopecia Areata and not MPB?? I feel like such a dick for thinking this way! I can't help it though, while I do feel sorry for those with AA, the only difference is ours is in a pattern. Either way man, woman, black, white, AA, AGA, hair loss is hair loss. If they get a full blown cure why can't we? It's kind of like the old saying in school, if you can't bring enough candy for everyone don't bring any at all. Lol.. But anyway, yeah, kinda chaps my ass a little. I'm still proud that they can get a cure but I must admit I'm jealous. Am I alone in this thinking?
    I think it's a very natural way to think man. Either way, you sound like a really great person from all of the posts you've contributed, and I'm sure no one gives a crap about your baldness because you're a good dude. I honestly don't think MPB has not been cured because people don't care. Most guys care. It's just an extremely complicated problem. AA is much more straightforward in its mechanism. Also, who know what the side effects will be, I mean propecia basically could be a cure for most people except that its intolerable for most to take. The thing that frustrates me most is that I'm pretty positive that we will be the last generation to go bald. stem cell regeneration WILL be the cure, i have absolutely no doubt, but its at least 15 years away, too long for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    I think it's a very natural way to think man. Either way, you sound like a really great person from all of the posts you've contributed, and I'm sure no one gives a crap about your baldness because you're a good dude. I honestly don't think MPB has not been cured because people don't care. Most guys care. It's just an extremely complicated problem. AA is much more straightforward in its mechanism. Also, who know what the side effects will be, I mean propecia basically could be a cure for most people except that its intolerable for most to take. The thing that frustrates me most is that I'm pretty positive that we will be the last generation to go bald. stem cell regeneration WILL be the cure, i have absolutely no doubt, but its at least 15 years away, too long for most of us.
    I really don't understand why people keep making the comment of if i could just take fin, or that fin could be the cure for most people if they could tolerate it. Myself, and several of my friends have been on fin for years, and we've still lost a considerable amount of density and hairline over the years. Fin in my opinion is not a cure! Unless applying it topically with a proper vehicle is more effective, I personally really don't see how people can place so much hope in fin. My hope is that by adding a more effective dosage of dut topically we can see better results as far as halting, and perhaps regrowth. Maybe CB can become what prevents future loss, and FUE we can in a way cure our loss, but the bottom line in my opinion is oral fin is no cure at all.

interesting. well I just keep reading that fin stops loss in around 80 percent of people. If what you say is true then I doubt CB will really be a big savior for anyone either. I works basically the same way. A combination of CB and replicel I think could be a pretty great combination, maybe not perfection, but enough to get you through your relative youth with a decent amount of hair on your head. I'm hoping that both these things will become a reality in five years, as Ill probably have some hair on my head still, but I'm not banking on either one. I think they will both take longer due to delays, and if the past is any indication, they will both work not so great and be scrapped due to financial reasons. I do think that a better drug treatment could emerge in the next half decade, but when you take trials into account you're looking at 10 plus years after the discovery. Life is too short.

interesting. well I just keep reading that fin stops loss in around 80 percent of people. If what you say is true then I doubt CB will really be a big savior for anyone either. I works basically the same way. A combination of CB and replicel I think could be a pretty great combination, maybe not perfection, but enough to get you through your relative youth with a decent amount of hair on your head. I'm hoping that both these things will become a reality in five years, as Ill probably have some hair on my head still, but I'm not banking on either one. I think they will both take longer due to delays, and if the past is any indication, they will both work not so great and be scrapped due to financial reasons. I do think that a better drug treatment could emerge in the next half decade, but when you take trials into account you're looking at 10 plus years after the discovery. Life is too short.
    I'm sure at the end of the day I've maintained more than I would have had I never used fin, but I've definitely experienced loss as well... My hairline is definitely receding, not by leaps and bounds, but a noticeable amount... This has been the case with the 7 other guys that started taking at the same time I did at 19 (We're now 28). Like I said I know others have said that the effectiveness of fin can be signicabtly lower as it is taken orally and I absorbed into the blood stream rather than out on topically directly onto the hair follicle... If this is true I think there's a good chance of halting ones hairloss and possibly even regrowth. All I'm saying is I think people that haven't been able to take fin based on sides seem to have a lot if faith in a drug that I through experience don't really think is close to being the cure...

A topical 5 alpha reductase inhibitor won't be released by the major pharma companies because there will always be a significant risk of systemic effects as the vehicles that are currently available are not good enough to limit drug exposure to the hair follicles. Just look at Minoxidil. People who use will experience significant hair growth elsewhere in the body too.

You're not being a dick. Once I was with a female friend on a train, and we noticed a guy wearing a really obvious hair-piece, and she chuckled about it, but then said she felt bad because what if the guy had alopecia, and wasn't just bald? And I thought, well, what's the difference? The difference is that alopecia garners sympathy (and rightly so), while MPB does not. For some reason, it is acceptable to be upset about alopecia, because that's a 'condition', whereas MPB is seen as 'natural', so you should just 'accept it'.

Those 80% are mild/moderate balders who wouldn't go past NW4 in their lifetime anyway. For heavy balders like me, fin is pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by clee984 View Post
    You're not being a dick. Once I was with a female friend on a train, and we noticed a guy wearing a really obvious hair-piece, and she chuckled about it, but then said she felt bad because what if the guy had alopecia, and wasn't just bald? And I thought, well, what's the difference? The difference is that alopecia garners sympathy (and rightly so), while MPB does not. For some reason, it is acceptable to be upset about alopecia, because that's a 'condition', whereas MPB is seen as 'natural', so you should just 'accept it'.
    That is because alopecia also happens to females, that is why they can be sympathetic about it. On the other hand, there is no such thing as MPB among women.