+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

your hairline is moving up, but that does not mean it will keep going. You have a low hairline now. It could be that you are just forming a more mature hairline. Measure the height above the line between your eyebrows and keep an eye on this. Signs of MPB are lighter hair color, finer hair, hair that will not grow as long as the surrounding hair. In some, the hairline simply recedes up to a more mature level. See if you can find photos of your dad when he was your age.

Cross sectional trichometry can give you an idea if loss is occurring in other areas on the top of your head. The CST is a very good predictor of future hair loss, but still too new of a test to verify what will happen to you in the coming years. If the CST is the donor area is higher than some locations on the top of the scalp, this suggests the potential for further hair loss on top of the scalp.

Thank you john P cole, your the only one that has given me an actual helpful answer instead of simple typing "that's mpb". I really do appreciate you answering, I have looked at pictures of my dad at about my age but it looks like he didn't start balding until his late 20's and it seems that he started by his entire hairline moving up (or at least that is as much as I could tell from the photos). Hopefully the dermatologist can give me a certain answer to either put my mind to rest or start to take action. Can a derm give a certain diagnosis with tests or something on the subject? Or do they just give their best guess of what's happening given their training and experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Thanks for your input but ill wait til my appointment Monday and get a professional diagnosis. After all this is just random people on the internet looking at a picture. I appreciate your input though
    Hey you're young, I get it. But you willingly came here looking for an answer, and we all gave you one. The correct answer too. The dermatologist will just be confirming what we have already told you. Ask for fin. Good luck!

Yes I am still young and am already battling Rosacea and am hating life because of it. Most people that even get rosacea don't get it until their older, and the same with balding. So to luck out with both of them like this will just destroy me inside... I find it so hard to willingly except them both being so young while everyone else my age has perfect skin and perfect hair just enjoying life with no worries :/

Yes I am still young and am already battling Rosacea and am hating life because of it. Most people that even get rosacea don't get it until their older, and the same with balding. So to luck out with both of them like this will just destroy me inside... I find it so hard to willingly except them both being so young while everyone else my age has perfect skin and perfect hair just enjoying life with no worries :/
    Welcome to hell.

If my derm does indeed diagnose me with mpb, then I do plan on asking for finasteride in form of propecia or proscar if I can get it. But is it really effective in literally keeping all the hair you currently have like everyone says?

If my derm does indeed diagnose me with mpb, then I do plan on asking for finasteride in form of propecia or proscar if I can get it. But is it really effective in literally keeping all the hair you currently have like everyone says?
    Everyone responds differently due to genetics.

But how about your opinion or even hopefully personal experience if you have used it? Does it work quite well?

But how about your opinion or even hopefully personal experience if you have used it? Does it work quite well?
    I have retrograde alopecia and fin doesn't do much to combat it. If you have a mild hair loss fin will work wonders but if you have aggressive hair loss them you're looking at a lot of frustration.

Edit- give it a try anyways. My experience is irrelevant to you because everyone responds different.

I will... Hopefully it will work, or at least work for a few years until I'm married lol