+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Study by Dr. Cole about Acell/PRP and Donor Regeneration. Very good results!

Start on minute 2:52 and he explains all his study about Donor Regeneration with Acell. with photos before and after, numbers and more:

More than 60% of Donor Regeneration!

http://youtu.be/khVm4wSpzjo?t=2m52s

Old news. If he got 60% of donor regeneration, he'd have multiple men going from NW6 to NW1.

No evidence of that.

HSC is proinflamatory? But isn't that jak inhibitor that 'cured' AGA a anti-inflamatory? Did he mix up words? Or am I not understanding something?

The Jak inhibitor was used in a different type of alopecia caused by an inflammatory process where the body attacks the hair follicles. This form of hair loss is usually treated with anti-inflammatory products like steroids.

Many things that seem to improve hair diameter are pro-inflamatory. Wounding for example is pro-inflamatory. The one thing you want to avoid with treatments such as PRP is anything that limits the beneficial aspects of the inflammatory process such as steroids and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory products like Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, etc.

We studied our donor sealing case carefully in preparation for publication. In an effort to insure we noted only those sites we were sure had hair re-growth, we decreased our percentage to 42% of the extraction sites. We are certain that there was at least one hair to regrow in 42% of the extraction sites in this study.

We find in general that 49% of our extraction sites cannot be located or they had hair growth with Acell application. Some of this represents follicle re-growth and some of it represents improved donor healing. There are many reasons for hair re-growth. One would be follicle transection. In the 42% study only 1 or 12 extractions had follicle transection. Thus, I'm absolutely certain we had follicle regeneration in this study after all follicles were removed.

One must follow a minimal depth extraction protocol in order to get follicle regeneration. Another important aspect is to minimize Acell leakage from the extraction sites.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    The Jak inhibitor was used in a different type of alopecia caused by an inflammatory process where the body attacks the hair follicles. This form of hair loss is usually treated with anti-inflammatory products like steroids.

Many things that seem to improve hair diameter are pro-inflamatory. Wounding for example is pro-inflamatory. The one thing you want to avoid with treatments such as PRP is anything that limits the beneficial aspects of the inflammatory process such as steroids and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory products like Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, etc.

We studied our donor sealing case carefully in preparation for publication. In an effort to insure we noted only those sites we were sure had hair re-growth, we decreased our percentage to 42% of the extraction sites. We are certain that there was at least one hair to regrow in 42% of the extraction sites in this study.

We find in general that 49% of our extraction sites cannot be located or they had hair growth with Acell application. Some of this represents follicle re-growth and some of it represents improved donor healing. There are many reasons for hair re-growth. One would be follicle transection. In the 42% study only 1 or 12 extractions had follicle transection. Thus, I'm absolutely certain we had follicle regeneration in this study after all follicles were removed.

One must follow a minimal depth extraction protocol in order to get follicle regeneration. Another important aspect is to minimize Acell leakage from the extraction sites.
    dear dr. Cole,

i think it's possible that with your technique (not doing full-depth extractions with acell) to get some donor regeneration. the point is, it's really hard to believe and to convince people.
    what about the following proposal to get an ultimate proof: mark 1 cm2 with scalp tattoos and do a hair count. then extract ALL hair follicles in this area with your technique, and after 6 or 9 months, see what happens with donor regeneration. this would be a very easy test which wouldn't let any possibility of misinterpretation. of course, all the extracted follicles should also be monitored at the recipient site, and hopefully at least 90% should continue to grow there.
    this would be an ultimate test to have proof of donor regeneration. because up to now there are not really many people on this forum believing that it really works. too much talk and pseudo studies with acell in the past years. and still we have no real transformation from e.g. a NW5 to NW1.

thank you

If ANYONE could get 60% regeneration, baldness would nearly be cured. Inb4excuses.

I totally agree with your protocol suggestion for a number of reasons. When we harvest the entire donor area we find that many extraction sites heal flawlessly with Acell. The question remained whether there was regrowth or perfect healing. So we tried a smaller surface area of only 1 sq cm thinking we could evaluate they smaller area better. When we harvest a smaller area of only 1 sq cm, many sites heal flawlessly. It's hard to say for sure. Initially, we thought 60% in the 1cm case, but when we went back and studied not only the photographs, but also the video of the extractions, we were certain only about 42% of the sites exhibiting regrowth. One of those sites was purposely transected and i don't count that. i'm only interested in sites where follicles were extracted intact. This drops the total to 33%, but of course growth in a transected graft is important if you are the patient so let's not totally forget this.

removal of an entire sq cm is the ultimate test, but what if nothing re-grows. that's a hard sell to a patient. i'm working my way up to this level gradually, however. Give me time. What i can say to date is that a deeper extraction did not work as well as a more shallow extraction on a small case study.

i will conclude with the thoughts that no one believes this. I didn't even believe it, but Acell has cleared every hurdle i've ever put in front of it. At some point, you have to start believing.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Cole, MD View Post
    I totally agree with your protocol suggestion for a number of reasons. When we harvest the entire donor area we find that many extraction sites heal flawlessly with Acell. The question remained whether there was regrowth or perfect healing. So we tried a smaller surface area of only 1 sq cm thinking we could evaluate they smaller area better. When we harvest a smaller area of only 1 sq cm, many sites heal flawlessly. It's hard to say for sure. Initially, we thought 60% in the 1cm case, but when we went back and studied not only the photographs, but also the video of the extractions, we were certain only about 42% of the sites exhibiting regrowth. One of those sites was purposely transected and i don't count that. i'm only interested in sites where follicles were extracted intact. This drops the total to 33%, but of course growth in a transected graft is important if you are the patient so let's not totally forget this.

removal of an entire sq cm is the ultimate test, but what if nothing re-grows. that's a hard sell to a patient. i'm working my way up to this level gradually, however. Give me time. What i can say to date is that a deeper extraction did not work as well as a more shallow extraction on a small case study.

i will conclude with the thoughts that no one believes this. I didn't even believe it, but Acell has cleared every hurdle i've ever put in front of it. At some point, you have to start believing.
    i agree that it could be difficult to find a patient who allows to extract a whole cm2 because of the risk that this spot will stay bald afterwards. but the solution to this is very simple. nobody says that it has to be an area 1cm by 1cm. it would also be totally ok to have a rectangular area like 5mm by 20mm, or even 2.5mm by 40mm. the result would be a thin stripe which can be easily covered by the other donor hairs, so that there wouldn't be any real risk for patients. if necessary for photos and trichoscans, the stripe-like areas could be divided in more areas with multiple scalp tattoos. also, it would be possible to distribute the small spots all over the donor area, so that the gaps become even more invisible. it's only important to have a reasonable total size and total amount of extractions. 80 to 100 extractions would be good. but good documentation with before/after pics is of utmost importance. the scalp tattoos also should be done correctly.
    if you pay some volunteer patient e.g. 1000 dollars for such a test, you will find such test candidates very quickly. you could be the first hair surgeon in the world who could really proof the first well-documented donor regenation. other surgeons failed multiple times on that task, some of them even trying to cheat for many years. probably you heard from your representative chuck that dr. Gho who claims donor regeneration for years now was exposed by some forum members here. he's cheating about this for over a decade now, but not many care about that and he will continue with it for another 2 decades.
    the next who probably will show some degree of donor regeneration will be dr. wesley with his pilofocus device and acell.
    however, until we don't have such an easy donor regeneration test with at least 1cm2 the whole donor regeneration story will always be unreal nonsense which is used by several doctors for marketing purposes.
    i would love to see at least one doctor, you, who can really proof that it's true, once and for all. this would take hair transplants to a whole new level. i wish you good luck on that but i'm afraid that we will never see such an ultimate proof of your technique in the near future. i hope i'm wrong.

I'll do it. Where are you located Dr. ?

I see now your profile says Atlanta. I will be moving to Jacksonville FL in a few months so fairly close. If you are interested in this experiment I'll do it for the greater good. The only thing I'd ask is a discount on fixing it if none of the area regenerates.

I had a procedure done with Dr Cole 10 months ago with PRP and A-cell. I can't speak to donor regrowth as I haven't been back for a follow up yet. However, I CAN say the donor area looks absolutely pristine. I buzz it to a number 2 and it looks perfect. Barbers can't even tell. I was only a NW 2/3 ish, so regrowth wasn't a motivating factor. I simply wanted the absolute best healing possible as I like to wear my hair short.