+ Reply to Thread

Default Inspired here from reading the stories!!!

So I posted this as my first post in the scar grafting with Dr. Cole thread started by Northeast guy. Thought I'd share my story here. Like many here, I had first HT in my early 20's, and I really didn't know what I was getting into. I seriously though hairs would grow through my scar, so I thought "who cares if can't get a bald fade anymore". Anyways here is my story.

Hello to all. Been following this thread and thought I'd share my experience. I'm 38. I first had a HT at age 23, after a bad break up made me totally self conscious about losing hair in my right temple area. I felt it looked like a dog took a chunk right out of my hair. At that age, I should have never done one. I did my "research" on my webTV, since the internet still wasn't what it was today. As you can imagine, I went into it with probably not the greatest knowledge of what I was getting into. At that age, price was a big factor as well. So I found a place down in Tampa Florida that I'm pretty sure was called Hair and Scalp Laser Clinic. I went down there believing the whole thing was done via laser only to find out they only cortirized the incision and graft sites with a laser. They did the initial incision "too low" closer the nape of the neck. Inititally I was satisfied. He established a hairline that wasn't too low for future hair loss but as we all know (now) that hairloss is a progressive thing and eventually I needed a second HT which I got done at age 29/30. That yielded a fine, natural look and was performed by a local Dr. who was very forthcoming in expected results, scarring etc. Didn't make promises as too scarring because everyone heals differently. Again, hairloss is progressive and I was left with what seemed like horseshoe of hair on the front of transplanted hair, with receding hair behind it. The right temple again was the biggest culprit (hair always seemed to thin out on that side first).

Of course at 23 and 30 years of age I was single without kids, so by now my biggest factor in not taking corrective action was financial, as I am now married with a 4 and 3 year old, and all I kept thinking about how that is money that could go toward them. I went to the second dr. a couple of times. Initially when he did my second surgery he was part of medical hair restoration group. Since then he had gone solo and is ISHRS accredited. I met with him about a year and a half ago, and because he was honest in relation to my goal which was to buzz down and the cost I put it off. Anyways because of threads like this one and experiences shared here, I opted to have FUE into the scar two days ago. Wish I knew how to post pics. My goal is to get down to a four guard all over. I don't plan on going on the same journey as Northeast guy as his was one extra ordinary journey. If I'm not totally happy with the results of the FUE I will consider tatooing for the 3D effect with someone who has done it. My Dr. had a couple of numbers but he insisted I let it heal as he feels pretty confident I will get close to what I told him my goal was. The lastest (and last) procedure was 1000 grafts FUE with 260 going into the scar. My scar had stretched 7mm at the corners. We discussed scar revision with a tricophytic closure but he was sure I would get some stretching due to looseness/elasticity of my scar. I have a scar on my elbow that was very telltale for him.

I hope that wasn't too over the place, just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone who participated in this thread especially northeastguy, stevie r, the Dr. and others. Like many here I just wanted some normalcy and I hope this provides it. If I could turn back the clock I would have definitely not had the first one done, but what is done is done and then you have to decide what you are going to do. I was blessed to have a supportive wife who encouraged me to shave despite the scar, but I just couldn't go that route. She supported me every step of the way. Once again, thanks to all of you.