+ Reply to Thread

Default $9 Walmart Finasteride

I've been lurking this forum for a long time and I've noticed that a lot of people are mentioning the cost Propecia being expensive, and I'm here to inform some people who may be unaware of a really, really low cost option. First of all, I have been really nervous about going to a doctor and getting prescribed these for a year or two now, but I must encourage anyone with this fear to just get over it. I made an appointment at a local dermatologist and during my checkup mentioned I had noticed my hair thinning. He looked at it (not very closely might I add) and agreed. He then proceeded to recommend Propecia. I told him that I had done some research on the drug and knew that there was a 5mg available and that it was much cheaper. He stated that he tries to avoid prescribing them because some patients would take the full 5mg, but he agreed to write it. Took very little convincing. Anyways, the prescription at Walmart was filled for generic 5mg finasteride (without prescrition) for $9 total for 30 pills. That means that for $9 I get a 4 months supply of the exact same thing as Propecia. The dermatologist followed up last week and wondered how the prescription worked. I told him the price and he was very surprised. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to inform some people that this medication is available quite cheaply, and to those who are like me and nervous about talking to their doctor's to know that it is really easy. Just be firm about the 5mg and tell them you've done your research. Best of luck.

True, but I can tell you it depends a lot on your dermatologist. The one I asked many years ago said he couldnt prescribe that generic 5 mg one for liability issues because its really not made for hair loss at that dose. I said I would cut up into pieces and wanted to save money but he stuck to his guns. Like lots of things just depends how they see it. They do want you to be happy though so you come back
    Real propecia is more expensive although the generics have brought the price down a lot I think. Wait a few years for CB to come out and then we will see what expensive hair loss treatments look like

Right, but I guess my next point would be that the dermatologist I found was in network with my health insurance so I paid $40 for the appointment. I think propecia costs $90 a month (if I'm not mistaken..probably am). A year's supply 90*12=$1,080 would more than make up the cost to visit several in network dermatologists at that price to find one that would prescribe. I'm sure someone will since there really isn't anything wrong with a doctor writing an off-label prescription.