+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair-loss veteran (13 years on medication) losing ground.

Hi,

I am a 36 year old Norwegian male that has been struggling with hairloss since the age of 19-20. At 23 I was very thin all over the NW5 area, so I started taking Propecia/Dut (a couple of years later I added Minox and Nizoral shampoo. So I have been using Propecia for 13-14 years) I am one of those lucky ones that was a VERY good responder to the medication and didn't had any sides (Didn't know there was any at the time). Within a couple of year after I started taking the medication I regrown most of what I lost.

I left for to study abroad just when I started taking the medication and when I came back to Norway after 4 years abroad all my friends and family thought I was wearing a wig or had done a hair transplant. It was GREAT
    I had a full head of hair. I didn't have my hair of a 16 year old male, but I had a full head of hair and people couldn't see that I was thinning.

I kept my youthful hair for about 10 years before I started to lose ground. I think the medication is still working, but my genes is definitely winning this battle. I am thinning in the whole NW5/6 area and must use a lot of toppik and concealers to hide my hairloss

I have been lurking around on different hair loss and hair transplant sites for a couple of years, but I haven't found anyone with the same history as mine doing a hair transplant.

My question is : Is there a problem doing a hair transplant after using medication for so long?

Background
    36 Years old, male, using medication for 13 years, brother was a NW6 by the time he was 26, mother side is full of NW6 baldies, want hair transplant.

Ask me anything about my 13 year old battle against hairloss

Edit: I just want to add that I still have more hair today then what I had before I started the treatments some 13 year ago. T

The medication stopped working? How is that possible?
    Have you been using the same brand of Finasteride throughout that period?
    Have you done anything more recently that would account for that loss for example different brand of Minoxidil or something?

This scares me. I'm taking Propecia and I think I've achieved steady state. Never achieved much regrowth with it. Is this whats waiting for everyone on medication?

Oops, I Just re-read my post and noticed a bunch of spelling and grammar mistakes. Sorry about that. English is not my first language.

Balding1983. No, I don't think the medication has stopped working, I just think that the medication doesn't work as good as it used to do. In my opinion Finasteride can only slow down the inevitable, but not completely stop it. Your genes will eventually win.

I still have more hair today then I had when I was 23, but not as much as I had when I was 26 The effect of the medication peaked (for me) from I was 25 to 33 years old. After that its has been a downhill ride so to speak.

How long have you been using Propecia ?

Do you currently take FIN/DUT? Considered RU?

I switched to dut for two years, and then back to fin beacuse it didnt make any difference; I was losing ground at the same rate. RU is difficult to get here in Norway and in my opinion to much of an hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by BluEMoon2 View Post
    I switched to dut for two years, and then back to fin beacuse it didnt make any difference; I was losing ground at the same rate. RU is difficult to get here in Norway and in my opinion to much of an hassle.
    I read somewhere someone taking 1mg morning and 1mg night.